Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I really didn't think my comment would stir up this much reaction. But if you can grade yourself on all twenty (20) myths (if you cheat on word puzzles, don't bother), you may find getting a passing grade is difficult. I didn't. The most embarrassing myth I have honored religiously is the one one about not storing batteries on concrete. I have always searched for cardboard or carpet to rest the battery on. No longer!
Yellowstone.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Only slighty off topic, we have had twins all along, but when we bought C for Two new the only engines they could get quickly were Suzuki 40s. What a mistake. With only a little more than 200 hours on them, they both started overheating at random times. Had to replace them last summer, which cost us a lot of money and much of the summer, which in Maine is short anyway. We now have Yamaha 50s, which already sound better than the Suzukis ever did. We do think our experience was a fluke, and still believe two engines are better than one. Can't wait for next summer.

Other than our Suzuki wiring harness issue, our Suzuki 40 HP 4 stroke EFI was a very dependable engine. We put around 300 hours on it, and spent much of the time at around 5500 rpm. It was extremely loud, so we needed earplugs while running it. But to have problems with both engines, there must have been something else at work that caused them to overheat -- possibly in conjunction with the tandem configuration such a wrong prop pitch, cavitation or other factors? And as I'm sure you are aware, the Suzuki 40 is essentially a de-tuned 50. I'm surprised that you could not get this problem resolved in conjunction with your repair facility and Suzuki. For example, at the same time we bought our motor, another couple's Suzi 40 was issuing a loud squealing sound at times. Suzuki said no problem and replaced the engine gratis. I have to tell you that while the dealer told me this, it really made me see red, because five failures on the water was not enough to get a new engine for us. We felt unloved and unappreciated. Heck -- we would take that squealing noise any time over five failures; we had to use earplugs anyway. What a difference it was when we got the Honda BF115 -- it is so quiet that at times, we can barely hear it, and can actually have normal conversation.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, Mark from Weifings made mention that our Suzuki problem could have been a wiring harness issue month's before it was resolved. It's too bad Weifings is not in Connecticut; they seem to be a top rated dealer/repair facility.

Rich

Roscoe

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C for Two
Photos: C for Two
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a good mechanic try everything possible and he couldn't pinpoint the problem. He had thought it would be easy, and became more and more frustrated as the random overheating actually got worse. At some point it becomes just too expensive to keep looking. We were past warranty, and had heard that the mid-range Suzuki motors could be iffy anyway. We're just glad to have it behind us.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell I might as well chine in.

I believe you are always on you own when on the water, the road, in the air or off the road so plan for it. kicker or twins ? Does not matter it service the same problem, Getting back to a safe harbor ( not your harbor). Or you have to have a means to stop your movement, anchor. I am amazed at the number of boats that never carry a anchor, just stupid act. I think that sea tow or another service is a good idea if all else fails but the chance of them getting to you in time with out a back up plan is not a chance I am willing to take.

All survival plans have steps. Steps that escalate as the danger escalates. So heres my boat survival plan. I have a kicker if the main goes south. I have a anchor so I can stop in safe water to fix the problem on the main. I have tools to fix the problem if I can. I still have a kicker to get home if I cant fix it. I have sea tow if I need it when all else fails. I have a dinghy and a ditch bag if it gets really bad really fast.
So whats your plan?

1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the commercial vessels used in commercial fishing out of our port and probably most ports are single engine setups. They are very reliable if maintained. They have also many fishermen buddies and they tend to help one another.

We do not have a tow service company in Crescent City. It would fail. We do have a well trained coast guard auxiliary who is ready to respond if conditions allow.
As I recall, it is your obligation to assist someone in need. You assist how ever you can but you do not leave people in need. Most times out I see others.

I would suggest that when you venture out besides required safety gear and a float plan left with someone who cares, have a vhf radio and a good anchor system. Even twins fail.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mark that plastic proPulse failure up to experience and stupidity (on my part.) I had that happen about 5 years ago, used the small engine to get to a dock in Seymour Narrows and changed the prop.

I now run stainless, which has survived a few rocks. The stainless brings you home, the plastic shatters. The stupidity on my part was how I ever expected plastic to survive hitting anything, including the seaweed that broke it. Personally, I think plastic props should be outlawed.

I do agree that some form of backup propulsion should be on board any boat. Sailboats have sails and a motor, and my first powerboat has a main engine and an axillary. And I've been thrilled with that. In addition some other elements allow you to survive, such as good anchor equipment, metal props and radios.

Boris
G Gallagher

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reel Salty
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a main Honda engine (a big one 225 hp) and a Honda kicker( a small one 15 hp.) Both are extremely reliable, BUT, I figure that probably 80% of motor trouble is due to some form of gas trouble, usually water in the gas.

So... my solution is to carry a 3 gallon tank of fresh gas connected directly to my kicker. I use the kicker frequently for fishing so it stays fresh.

If I had trouble and both engines were connected to my main tank neither engine would work.

And that's my 2 cents worth.-

Oh, I swaped my C-Dory for a Hewescraft with an 85 gallon tank and that is why all the power.

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Gallagher wrote:
I have a main Honda engine (a big one 225 hp) and a Honda kicker( a small one 15 hp.) Both are extremely reliable, BUT, I figure that probably 80% of motor trouble is due to some form of gas trouble, usually water in the gas.

So... my solution is to carry a 3 gallon tank of fresh gas connected directly to my kicker. I use the kicker frequently for fishing so it stays fresh.

If I had trouble and both engines were connected to my main tank neither engine would work.

And that's my 2 cents worth.-

Oh, I swaped my C-Dory for a Hewescraft with an 85 gallon tank and that is why all the power.

The three gallon tank is a great idea. I think I might do that next year, using storage level blue stabile that will extend the life of the gas for two years. Dr. Bob made this point a while ago, and you are certainly right about the gas. We all need to be careful that we know where we purchase fuel. One bad batch of gas can ruin our day real quick. Thanks.

Rich
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good primary fuel filters are mandatory IMO. The Racor filters with the see through bowls let you find issues ahead of time that might otherwise lead to breakdowns.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
Good primary fuel filters are mandatory IMO. The Racor filters with the see through bowls let you find issues ahead of time that might otherwise lead to breakdowns.

Yep Thumbs Up

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: