The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Da New Da Nag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboos_boat

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Baboos Boat
Photos: (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag - Now you have given me another reason to get down in early Spring to EQ. I need to be sure the tall top is functional for my height (6-1) but also like you I will plan on an achilles raft up top. I too am planning on the RayMarine system exactly as you choose - I think Les may have given you the same suggestions as I got.

I too like the lower profile - in fact it was the boat's profile which immediately attracted me to the C-Dory. Afterward I discovered all the other features which cinched the decision. I will be talking to Les about tall vs. short.

The best surprise I got from your list was the option of the "barber chair" for passenger (read wife). If the chair will serve, as I understand it to do, to allow passenger to sit forward comfortably then what a mod! A no brainer. I wonder why Les did not bring this to my attention.

gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baboos_boat wrote:
I too am planning on the RayMarine system exactly as you choose - I think Les may have given you the same suggestions as I got.

Probably...I was a die-hard Garmin fan before learning about some of the Raymarine features. Don't get me wrong - if I were only looking for a chartplotter/fishfinder unit, I'd probably still go with a Garmin - they are great units for these tasks. But for a single-screen solution that includes RADAR, the Raymarine system is tough to beat. Add to that the Marpa capabilities, the integration with the autopilot and remote control unit from the cockpit, and expansion capabilities should I ever want additional screens, and the choice was easy.

baboos_boat wrote:

The best surprise I got from your list was the option of the "barber chair" for passenger (read wife). If the chair will serve, as I understand it to do, to allow passenger to sit forward comfortably then what a mod! A no brainer. I wonder why Les did not bring this to my attention.

A little history on the Barber Chair, if you're not aware...

Note the caps - I'm not sure who came up with the clever nickname, but it's a tribute to the inventor, Mike Barber (Tyboo). I'm not sure he likes the name, but I'm determined to make sure that's what it goes by, as it's such a simple and elegant solution that he deserves much credit for.

Anyway, Mike's original version used some very cool, but custom-made parts to get the job done. Les is hoping to duplicate Mike's design on mine, with some slight modifications that will use off-the-shelf components without sacrificing quality or functionality. Since he has yet to do one, I've volunteered to be his guinea pig. My understanding is, Les is hoping to come up with something the factory could offer as an option, but if not, he wants something easy to build that he can offer to his customers.

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Bill's right...I've got to make sure the process involved in creating the Barber Chair (Forward Facing Seat) is easily accomplished and doesn't Cost A Fortune. Right now it's very much a developmental, prototype sort of thing. Mike did a fantastic job on the conversion on his 22 (ex-Tyboo) but he's a machinist (and smart) which leaves me trying to find off-the-shelf parts that will make it an easy option for me to do or hopefully to get the factory to offer (and they're not likely to do so it if it means a bunch of custom pieces). I just sent in the drawings to C-Dory to request an alteration to the standard floor to allow me to build and install the 'box' that will slide on top and become the Barber Chair. So far they haven't freaked. Laughing

There's also the issue of the table since it has to be modified to accommodate the back of the seat when one is facing forward. The current table hangers (supports) leave a lot to be desired even for the standard table so the plan is to use the "old fashioned" full length 'track' system that supports the outboard end of the table along it's full length on the cabin wall (this is the style that's in the ex-Tyboo). It will make things much simpler and more stable.

David on Anna Leigh has done several of the mods and his are working well and Tim on Lynn Marie is getting close to (or has) started his. My challenge isn't to get it to work (it's already working great) but to make it a feasible option for me or the factory to install in new boats in an economical way.

www.marinautboats.com
baboos_boat

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Baboos Boat
Photos: (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Barber Chair Reply with quote

Les, just read your post. As I understand you, the engineering is not the problem. You can make a qualtiy adjustment to allow the passenger a fine seat to enjoy while looking forward. The issue seems to be price. I will be inquiring in our e mails about the price. I am happy to know however that the modification is available - I think this is an important one overcoming what I saw as a drawback.

I will also be talking to you about Da Nag's comments on the tall vs. standard height cabin.

Thanks, gary
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We interrupt Barber Chair Talk for this important question. Da Nerd, you're probably too young to remember this, but when I was a kid there was a cartoon character named Marvin. Seemed that diminutive space squirt's life mission was to use his illudium Q38 Space Modulator to blow up earth. Claimed it blocked his view of Mercury. Or was it Evinrude?

Anyway, he just cracked me up. But I just wanted to know if you had included the illudium Q38 as one of your options.

Cat
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it Brock - I already lectured you on the importance of details privately, now you're forcing me to correct you in public. Marvin was going to blow up the Earth because it blocked his view of Venus - not Mercury.

There's only thing keeping me from coming up there and kicking Uranus...the fact that I got the Q38 detail wrong. Actually, it PU-36 - it sounds like "Q" in the cartoons, but just did a little research and came up with this facinating tidbit:

Quote:

Marvin the Martian - Cartoon alien who first appeared in the animated Bugs Bunny cartoon Haredevil Hare (1948). Marvin wanted to destroy the Earth with a weapon called the Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator. Why? Because the Earth blocked Marvin's view of the planet Venus. When Marvin the Martian first appeared, he was known only as Commander X-23. He sported a green Roman Centurion styled helmet, green skirt, red tights and white sneakers. He also carried an ACME disintegrator ray hand gun. His sidekick was Commander K-9, the space dog who also wore a helmet and sneakers. Marvin reported to commanding officer General EMC Squared and traveled in an interplanetary spaceship called the Martian Maggot. If Marvin ever needed reinforcements, he opened a container that created instant Martians. The Marvin the Martian character appeared in the following Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon productions: Haredevil Hare (1948); Hasty Hare (1952); Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century (1953); Hare-Way to the Stars (1958); Mad as a Mars Hare (1963); Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2 Century (1980); Spaced Out Bunny (1980); Bug's Bunny's Lunar Tunes (1991); the movies Marvin the Martian in the 3rd Dimension (1996); and Space Jam (1996) and made cameos on Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and The Simpsons cartoon series. Over the years Marvin's voices have been supplied by Mel Blanc (until 1989), then Bob Bergen and Joe Alaskey. TRIVIA NOTE: The original reference to "Uranium PU-36" changed to Illudium PU-36 in subsequent cartoons. Some people mistake the sound of "PU" for a "Q" and say "Q-36." However, the weapon's name is derived from the letters "PU" which coincidentally is the atomic symbol for Plutonium (named for the planet Pluto). Marvin the Martian was created by legendary animator, Chuck Jones.

Now we can return to our regularly scheduled programming...
Catman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord! What have I gotten myself into?
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PU ?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...green Roman Centurion styled helmet, green skirt, red tights and white sneakers.

I saw Brock in that exact same getup trying to impress the DB at Olympia!

TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. There must be no more mention of the DB now that CB has signed on.

Welcome, Carolyn!
JoeP

City/Region: Kirkland
Vessel Name: Lizzie
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now Brock is talkin' some sense here.

You see, not only did the Earth block his view of Venus, but it made him "very angry."

Brock, thanks for getting us back to the crux of the matter. I feel vindicated with my "whatever Brock thinks" vote.

Rock on...

ps As long as I jumped in, I sure hope Mike's new tow rig fits in the garage! Very Happy
Catman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow-rigs, blow-rigs. Can we talk for a minute about two critical mistakes our favorite nerd made without challenge?
Joe, (thanks for your vote, and know that I'm fighting for you), apparently Da Nerd forgot that Marvin became "very angry" that earth blocked his view, and c'mon, was it a "Pee You 36" or a Q38, as I've humbly asserted?
Voters, we see the cracks in leadership; now go back and reconsider your initial assertion.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should have called the new site C-Dorks.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les -

The slide rod concept can be made "off the shelf" quite easily. The rod should be round, so things will pivot, but the bushing doesn't need to be. The part that does the sliding (what I made the bushing for) can be as simple as two pieces of oak shaped like an "L" that just sits over the rod. Say, an oak 1x2 with a 1x4 attached to it flush on one side. Maybe a shim or two between the assembly and the seat box to give a little clearance for the rod. The most common size of SS rod in marine stores is 7/8", which would be even better than the 3/4" I used because it would be more rigid. Instead of oak, you could use teak, but since you don't see it, oak is cheaper. The rod is the simplest method I could figure out to get the pivot point fully behind the box so the box is completely off the floor when lifted slightly to shift.

Now then, I see what you are saying about making it simple for C-Dory, but I have to disagree a bit. Theirs is a manufacturing plant, for crying out loud! In my mind, the ideal way to build the thing would be the one piece floor board, and a seat box made of fiberglass. The box would have a far greater weight to rigidity ratio if it was one piece construction, including the bottom. I should think that a boat builder would be able to make that, no problem. They could even mold the slide bracket right into it. Done. Simple. Cheap. And they could sell it as a $500 option, no problem.

Now then again - here's an even better idea for the locating tang. Instead of using something that has to be lifted out of a hole and set into another one, how about getting two plastic caster wheels for 39 cents each, and putting them into the front edge of the seat box so they protrude from the bottom 1/4" or so. Then, gouge some rounded depressions in the floor at the two seat box locations. Now all you have to do is release the latch, which I understand is necessary per your explanation, and push the box in the desired direction just hard enough to roll the wheels out of the depressions and over to the next set where they will drop into place. Then you fasten the latch at the new position. Make the depressions deep enough so that the box itself, and not the wheels, is supporting the weight of the box, the stuff stowed inside, and the passenger sitting on it. Minimal effort required, self locating, and no contact while moving other than the wheels.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Maybe we should have called the new site C-Dorks.

Damn it, Tyboo - I can't resist these jokes. You just cost me another eight bucks.

http://www.c-dorks.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: