Alli Cat

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Alli Cat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retriever,

Last year (first year with the kayaks) we just used the rubber kayak saddle mounts and tied them down snug over the top and at each end. This was not easy or fast. I will have to look for pics. This year, if it ever gets warm enough, I will install 4 (2 on the port and 2 on the starboard) 12 inch SS rails on the roof. This will let me mount the Yakima J-cradle kayak racks for easy and fast on and off. The only draw back with the kayaks is that we have to take down one kayak in order to reach the dingy and it's straps.

Fred

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

I like the idea of using the handrails. I was planning on just through bolting the J racks, but the handrails would be nicer since you can then take the kayak racks off more easily. No I just need to figure out if the 12 inch rail will fit on my 22.

Can anyone near their boat measure the distance from the flat part of the roof just outboard of the factory handrail to the edge? Or tell me if a 12 inch rail would fit there? Thanks!
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred I'm not sure which measurement you want but from the roof rail at the rear it's 15 1/2 inches to the outer edge of the roof. From the center of the roof rail to the outside edge of the cabin it's 14 3/4 inches. toward the front of the cabin roof there's a raised portion on the roof that would not allow for a 12" hand rail.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin, thanks so much. Looks like this will work.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing, but not unexpected, the amount of kayak expertise from the C Brat members.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Roof top kayaks Reply with quote

Joel,

I don't know if you remember from Santa Barbara, but I keep a Hobie Revolution on top of my boat. Same kayak Thataway mentioned. I use Yakima roof bars and towers made for rain gutter mounting and they fit the stainless C-Dory rails great. I'll most likely be at Lake Mohave next week and I should have the kayak there.

As mentioned elsewhere, it works best to stand on the bow and pull the kayak up across the railing, then pivot it around to the roof mount. If you have the kayak in the water alongside the C-Dory cockpit, it's easy to get in and out, using the C-Dory gunwhale for support and balance.

I like to paddle the kayak sometimes for arm exercise, but the Mirage pedal drive is faster and keeps your hands free for fishing, eating, photography, whatever. It's really nice to have both options. Hobie sells a self-inflating seat pad which I consider a MUST.

Hopefully you can check out my setup in person next week.

Jeff
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: AdvancedFrame Solo Touring Kayak vs Patriot Kayak Reply with quote

Greetings!

I've narrowed my kayak search down to AdvancedFrame Solo Touring Kayak and Patriot Kayak.

http://tinyurl.com/advancedframe
http://tinyurl.com/patriotkayak

My primary or initial use of the yak will be fitness, with use while cruising being somewhat secondary. I'm 6 ft 1.5 in and weigh 235 pounds.

Anyone have any experience with these two West Marine offerings? Or any advice for me?

--Georgs

Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com/
C-Wannabe

State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional Hobbyist wrote:

I would not recommend a folding kayak. They are great for their intended uses, but are hard to assemble (relatively speaking) and require a large flat surface so you need them assembled before leaving shore. Once you do that you might as well have hard shell boats.

True enough, but what if you want to pull ashore and store those hardshells inside your secure boat? Or maybe you're driving a thousand miles and want them out of the way on the road. Kind of tough, ain't it? I like folders -- especially small lightweight ones like the Puffins and XTs:

www.piragis.com/pakcanoe.html

www.pakboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=150

My Puffin II weighs only 30lbs and converts from a double to a single with a full deck, sprayskirt and has an optional skeg that acts like a rudder. The little Puffin Sport -- all ten feet of it -- weighs in at under 20lbs.

Or you could use an old antique folder like the Porta Packet (circa 1950) that opens up like an umbrella and weighs all of 20lbs. It has a seat and rows like a rowboat. Presto!

Got both of those folders on Ebay. I have a 1984 2-man Super Folbot with foot-controlled rudder as well. That pig weighs in at close to 100lbs but is bombproof. And it folds away, too. But the Puffins are lighter and more suited to a C-Dory.

www.folbot.com
hank schneider

City/Region: blowing rock
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Ditch Witch
Photos: Ditch Witch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Loon Reply with quote

We were going to carry a 16 ft kayak over to the Bahamas but the fit on the roof was pretty akward. We put it in a 31 foot boat for the ride. A boat to look at is the Old Town Loon - they are wide, very stable and run striaght w/o rudders. It has a big hole that was comfortable for my 6'2" 250 lb build. I spent 13 days on a trip down the Catawba river with 30 lb of geer and beer in a 13'8" model. For paddeling around in reasonable water you can get by with one of the shorter models. See if you can try one - i found it really superior to the long sleek ones.
Hank
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a peek at a Puffin 12-foot folder getting assembled and underway have a gander at the "La Cuerda del Pozo (Espana) en piragua" video on the top row of this page:
www.youtube.com/profile?user=margouillat4&view=videos&start=40

The lady and her hubbie -- and their Puffins -- are featured on a number of the videos on their three pages. Look for Kayak trek in Canelles canyon (Spain), Piragua Panta de Canelles, Catalunya etc. They also team the boats up with folding bikes. (Note to Charlie: the Piragua Panta de Canelles video, bottom row, page 2, has some nice music on it Shocked Watch out!)

Try flying that hardshell kayak across the country, Atlantic or Pacific. Another advantage of folders: Storage at home (if you're in a condo or smaller home). Or store them in your boat until the next trip.

Diehard sailor? Where there's a will, there's a way:
http://sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php?content=Pakboat_1
Click on the video link for a Puffin II sail rig in action.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry an Innova "Sunny" inflatable kayak. Weighs just 25 pounds, seats two or you can move a seat and it is an effective single. Deflated it comes in its own backpack. More information here: http://www.innovakayak.com/
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned a while back, I got a Hobie Mirage Adventure Island - their sea kayak with folding outriggers and rotating mast sail and the Mirage pedal drive. It comes apart easily for storage or roof mounting the hull and akas.

This boat will do it all. You can paddle hard, pedal hard, go single hull or outrigger, or pull a cord and have the fully battened sail unfurl to do all the work. It is so solid you can lie down and take a nap. I have spent 10-12 hours at a time sailing it on long cruises. I can cover 40-70 miles a day easily in moderate winds. High seas do not bother it - it goes right through them without the slightest tip and only moderate roll. It runs fine on 20-30 mph winds, but you may want to furl the sail a bit on higher winds. You can furl the sail easily with one tug on a cord and can furl it down to a tiny triangle for heavy storms - 35-40 mph winds.

It is a sit on top type, so no problem of being caught underneath.

It is light, rugged and very fast for a cruising type kayak. I bought one of the first models 3 years ago and have loved every minute on it. Hobie provides good support and they have an owner's group online just like the C-Brats to help with questions and mods.

John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflatables? Let's go full circle with this:
www.navagear.com/2007/09/grabner-foldinginflatable-kayak/

Hit the C-Dory owners link in that article. Laughing

BTW I like Grabner products, too. Innova is on the same level.
www.grabner-sports.at/
Kent Richmond

City/Region: Bayfield,
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Kayak Advice Needed Reply with quote

If you're looking for a quality inflatable, check out the Soar. For my money, the best thing going in inflatables.
Kent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd REALLY like to come up with a good double yak rack, and some sort of lift assist for bringing them up and down.
We saw a couple of the the advanced frame inflatables while in the Bahamas, very nice, but I haven't paddled one.
We have several plastic yaks, 2 WS Tarpon 14' sit-on-tops, a WS Tsunami 145, WS Tsunami 175, a 15' Perception Monarch (Dagger copy sold by Dick's), and an Old Town 13.5' Castine.
The Tarpons are my favorite for fishing...and I can actually stand up and cast from them in calm water.
The Tsunamis are the better long tourers, and can haul a bunch of gear for extended camping trips.
The Castine tracks great for 13.5 footer, but it's the only one in bunch that I haven't put at least one rod holder on.

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: