The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I have noticed about doctors these days is that they are concerned with their specialty. If a patient has multiple issues they will be seen by multiple doctors treating them for individual particular problems. This can cause a lot of issues with treatment interactions. Your cardiac doctor is not interested (or maybe even aware of) what your kidney doctor is doing. I know someone who was seeing multiple doctors for multiple issues. He ended up getting all messed up. In and out of hospitals and nursing homes because of this or that for about 9 months. Turns out that all the different drugs he was on were interacting and causing a load of problems. He finally ended up in a hospital that assigned a care coordinator to his case. This person sorted out all the drug issues and coordinated the treatments to reduce the interactions. This sorted out the issues and this man recovered quite well and was able to go home.

So the short answer is that if you are being treated for multiple things, get a care coordinator. It seems that this is becoming more common practice nowadays, but I'm not sure it happens all the time.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Universal Vaccine Reply with quote

Barry Rietz wrote:
Is a universal corona-virus vaccine possible?
https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2021-03-21/What-is-a-universal-coronavirus-vaccine-and-is-it-achievable--YN8cpkETqU/index.html

From a scientific standpoint this would be very difficult. Also consider who owns and runs this news source:

Quote:
CGTN, formerly known as CCTV-9 and CCTV News, is an international English-language cable TV news service, one of six channels provided by China Global Television Network, which is based in Beijing, China, and owned by China Central Television (CCTV), a state-owned media organization in China, under the control of the Publicity Department of the Chinese Communist Party.

On an entirely different light--consider the response of the director of CDC and her response during today's press meeting. She was moved to the point of tears because of a fear that we may follow the path taken in Europe (and a number of other first world countries who began to allow more gatherings, open restaurants, decrease barriers--and they are now seeing a very significant resurgence of the infections. Unfortunately there has been a slightly upward trend in the last few days here in the US. "Spring Break"- Miami a week ago is an example. Theoretically we could be close to "herd immunity, with 35% of the population vaccinated, and about 35% of the population having infections at some time. But since there is a crossover between these two populations it may not be as good as it seems on superficial review.

Also although some of the 1st World countries are making progress, some of second and 3rd world are rapidly going into crisis. Looking at number of doses per 100 persons of population: Isreal has administered 114, UAE next at 83, Chilie and UK at about 50, US at about 43, and then it really drops off. Brazil which is in crisis mode, has only given 8 doses out of 100 population. It may be even worse than it seems, since many of those vaccinated got two doses. The vast majority of the World has less than 4 out of 100 vaccinate doses give. Over all for the World it is only about 6 out of 100 persons.....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also although some of the 1st World countries are making progress, some of second and 3rd world are rapidly going into crisis. Looking at number of doses per 100 persons of population: Isreal has administered 114, UAE next at 83, Chilie and UK at about 50, US at about 43, and then it really drops off. Brazil which is in crisis mode, has only given 8 doses out of 100 population. It may be even worse than it seems, since many of those vaccinated got two doses. The vast majority of the World has less than 4 out of 100 vaccinate doses give. Over all for the World it is only about 6 out of 100 persons.....

The reality is that this pandemic will not be over until we get most of the worlds almost 8 billion people vaccinated. International travel, trade and variants will keep us under some levels of restriction for several more years. So even if the rich countries like the US, Canada and the EU can get the majority of their population vaccinated this year, life will get easier for us. But, life will not go back to normal until the poorer parts of the world will get their vaccinations. Countries like Bolivia, Uganda or Nepal will need a lot of help to stop this pandemic. Once we get the rich people of this world vaccinated, then it is our duty as rich countries to supply and ensure that those less fortunate get their vaccinations as well. This will likely be a few years off. Right now we are seeing vaccination Nationalism as rich countries try to hoard all the vaccines they can for use in their own population first. A low risk American will be vaccinated before a high risk Guatemalan. Money rules the world.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Money rules the world.

Kind of our version of "survival of the fittest". We are not an admirable species, but then I can't think of another species that is much better (even my sweet cat is ruthless when it comes to killing, read torturing, birds).

However, I remain proud of my species. Why? Because we are that which produces ART. I love art.....all kinds of art. Especially the performing arts. And only us can make it.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Another thing I have noticed about doctors these days is that they are concerned with their specialty. If a patient has multiple issues they will be seen by multiple doctors treating them for individual particular problems. This can cause a lot of issues with treatment interactions. Your cardiac doctor is not interested (or maybe even aware of) what your kidney docto.

Yes, this is happening. The Internist or geriatrician should be that primary care physician. (There are a few family docs around also.).

One of the situations which complicates all of this is physicians no longer taking care of the patients the hospital. The "hospitalist" rotates in and out on shifts and may have to see as many as 50 patients on a 24 hour shift. Terrible way to practice medicine.

I keep a list of medications, my medical condition, major surgeries, allergies etc on a laminated card the size of my driver's license--just in back of the driver's license. This gives any ER doc or Paramedic etc immediate access to both the sum of your RX snd medical issues. When I see my physicians--and the primary is an internist--I have a list of current medications and any new medical issues written down. When I see a new physician, I have a complete medical history, along with what we call a review of systems (staring with Eyes, ears, down to toes.)...It saves everyone time, and you can hand the DR what you want him to know. If I have questions they are also written down.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the same information on a word processor document and give it to the office before I see the doctor. the second page is information specific things for whatever person I am visiting - medical, surgical, dental. I kind of evaluate medical people by whether they read them or not. It all is summarized so it can be read in a minute or two.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Astra-Zeneca Suspended Reply with quote

Astra-Zeneca vaccine use suspended in Canada:

https://www.axios.com/astrazeneca-canada-covid-vaccine-suspended-3aedc4a0-e863-47df-80da-7f59eb5fe45f.html

krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Canada... Reply with quote

Not sure what is going on, but I think I previously shared that my relatives are flocking to the US for their vaccinations. Aunt was just down a couple of weeks ago for her second shot. Other of her friends are flying to FL where she claims the US doesn't check citizenship (for the shot). Not sure if that is true - as I had to show my DL for my vaccine (California - JJ one-shot). I think she said once she goes back into CA, even after vaccination, you still have to quarantine for 10 days?

BTW - the article I think is saying they are still allowing AstraZ for > 55. So all is not lost. The elderly are the key. And, many were able to get a "first" shot - the second will just be very much delayed but there is not necessarily a significant decrease in the vaccine's efficacy (supposedly).

We need to keep the border closed until the distribution issues are resolved.

But, I still wonder if the risk assessment is correct. There has been a great cost to our youth, young professionals, and certain sectors of the economy.

ProPublica had an interesting article on NM vs TX for schools. Each state took completely different approaches - but the covid per capita rates are very close. Was the extreme nature of the NM lockdown really worth it? Likely not.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-lost-year-what-the-pandemic-cost-teenagers

Here in CA many school boards are threatened with recalls. Many districts are reluctant to open... though the Governor is now threatening funding reductions for schools that don't open to in-person learning (remote learning is a failure - in CA at least - not just because only privileged families have access to key tech but it is just not effective for many students - particularly those who were marginal students to begin with.) It is disgraceful.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right now we are seeing vaccination Nationalism as rich countries try to hoard all the vaccines they can for use in their own population first. A low risk American will be vaccinated before a high risk Guatemalan. Money rules the world.

And why a country should never allow the outsourcing of key technologies and its manufacturing base. Too late for many "modern" countries. It is the nature of war.

Guatemala seems to be doing well though... right now of course.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html#map

Generally, countries with lower average population age tended to resist covid impacts better; however, in comparing youth between developing and mature countries there is a slightly different story in that youth in developing countries are more significantly impacted comparatively.

https://publications.iadb.org/publications/english/document/The-Younger-Age-Profile-of-COVID-19-Deaths-in-Developing-Countries.pdf
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Res schools - the regimented, get perfect attendance, sit in classes in a row may, and hopefully so, die the death of covid. Some sort of hybrid, as they are not talking about office work, will arise. A Republican state legislator has suggested a two month summer term. That could mean 4 terms a year, teachers and students generally doing 3 terms a year. ZOOM still a tool, more individual tutoring, and progress as fast as the student wants to.

sorry - this is off topic
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me several days to get an appointment for Merry's vaccination in February. California finally opens up 50-64 tomorrow and 18-49 on April 15th after President Biden ordered all states to open all groups by May 1.

I looked online for only 45 minutes before I found an appointment for my vaccination tomorrow morning. I'm thrilled, but not so much for myself. Merry watches the national news daily and has been freaked out for the past year. If this gives her peace of mind, I'm happy.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure what is going on, but I think I previously shared that my relatives are flocking to the US for their vaccinations. Aunt was just down a couple of weeks ago for her second shot. Other of her friends are flying to FL where she claims the US doesn't check citizenship (for the shot). Not sure if that is true - as I had to show my DL for my vaccine (California - JJ one-shot). I think she said once she goes back into CA, even after vaccination, you still have to quarantine for 10 days?

There have been a number of Canadian Snowbirds that did get a vaccination in the US this winter. Millions of Canadians normally winter in the southern US every year. The Canadian Government advised Canadians not to winter in the US this year, but about a third of those did. I read that in Florida, if you looked old enough, you could get a shot. Over Christmas many Canadians did travel to the US, Europe and Mexico and needed to quarantine for 14 days on return. Many did bring Covid back with them after their vacations. Some of these were the variants that are now rising rapidly in our country. After this the government clamped down on travel and now the rules are much tighter to discourage travel. To enter Canada now, you have to have a negative Covid Test before you get on the plane, when you arrive you are tested and you need to stay in an approved hotel until your results come back negative. This will cost each person about $2000 for the stay. Then you need to finish your 14 day quarantine in your own home, you need to be tested again at day 10. So just hoping on a plane to the US for a shot is challenging and expensive. Our vaccine roll out is ramping up and most people over 70 should have had their shot by now as have most front line workers. Our supply of vaccine is now coming in quickly and most people should be vaccinated by late summer. Canada does not produce Covid vaccines , so our supply comes primarily from Europe and some from India. Both Europe and India are trying to hold back domestically produced vaccines, rather than fulfill contracts to deliver to outside countries. I understand that the US is not exporting any vaccines at this time, I could not find any information to confirm this. Canada is fortunate to be an affluent country and we have ordered many more does of vaccine than we have people. The commitment is that the excess will be distributed to countries who are less fortunate. Until most of the 8 billion people in the world are vaccinated, this pandemic will not be over for any of us.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U. S. is going to send 1.5 million doses of AstraZeneca to Canada and 2.5 million to Mexico. AstraZeneca has not been approved for use in the U.S. but we have a stockpile of 7 million doses.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Since I cannot kill the beast or even slow down the ravages Reply with quote

Friends,
Out of bad there is always some good and the fact that we talk more about health than sports now might be a good thing from COVID-19. May I suggest:
#1 Keep a running tally of your vitals, taken the same time of day every day and log onto a spread sheet. Blood pressures, pulse rate, oxygen saturation, and temperature. I measure some of these twice with different instruments. If you are pre-diabetic, check you blood sugar twice a day and log the results. Hardest of all, weigh youself when you take your vitals, use two scales and do not cheat!!!
#2 Keep a big white ring binder with all your medical records, carry it to the doctor visits and only use a doctor with a functioing digital portal that you can assess. Read your own reports.
#3 Keep a good calendar and track major events that might have casued a short term change in your vital stats. Schedule vaccinations, check ups, and diagnostic procdures well in advane.
#4 Consider finding a wellness doctor that will run blood tests once or twice a year, I see Dr. Steven Gundry, try to follow his counsel and have pages of twice a year blood tests - my baselines and treands are easy to see.
#5 Find a primary care physycan who has hospital priviledges, will see you short of two months off, and make sure he has a backup. I have a conciege doctor, it costs but I have his cell phone number and he limits his practice to 400 patients.
#6 Read about the research and skip the popular news casts about the latest health story.
#7 Call our Doctor Bob!! Eat your vegetables.
bob jarrard
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tidbits:
1. In WA State, no ( zero ) deaths this year from flu. The usual by this time is 86 deaths, and the flue season is over 150 fatalities. The decrease is credited to Covid precautions --> masking, social distance and hand washing.

2. As of April 15, 2021 anyone over the age of 16, with or without co-morbidities is eligible for an appointment and vaccine.

3. The results of getting Covid19 are far more dangerous than the reaction to getting the vaccine.

4. Even after getting the vaccine, we need to still follow the precautionary practices until we get an 80% vaccination population.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: