Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian & Helen, thanks, another mystery solved.  It would have been great to chat.  We sure enjoyed our run up to Dawes Glacier & hope you did too.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-28-12

We'er now anchored in Whitewater Bay, Admiralty Island in a pouring rain, which started just after our arrival.  We were last here in 2007 heading the opposite direction having been out on the Chichagof Wilderness coast & back through Pelican & Elfin Cove to Dundas Bay & then doubling back around Icy Strait to Tenekee Springs, then here, Warm Springs Bay & finally  anchoring in Red Bluff Bay in the dark with nights spent only in Pelican & Swanson Harbor off Icy Strait along the way.  That was pre retirement when  100 mile + days were not unusual with the longest being over 200.

In the  rain tonight I found a over mile long winding tidal channel that I missed in 2007.   It is lined with grassy areas & huge trees & curves it's way to a large bowl .  At the head of the bowl  is a large grassy area with a beautiful river flowing in & through the grass from the trees & mountains beyond. On one side of this upper bowl is a large waterfall.  This is one of the most unique bay head I have seen yet in Southeast Alaska.  I was going fairly fast in the Mokai due to the rain & dark coming on & in the grassy area just before where the river enters surprised a large bear.  It had a astonished look on its face & moved in retreat as fast as I've ever seen one go.  Don't know why it never heard me coming, maybe a human enclosed in a fast little toy boat in the rain & mist  was just to much for it to comprehend.  With its location across Chatham Strait from popular Warm Springs Bay, Takatz Bay & Cosmos Cove it's a place not often visited by cruise boats.  The only downside to today's visit was the rain & some crab fisherman who has dumped off all his pots for storage in the area best to anchor.  With the C-Dory we found a place between them & shore where most other boats wouldn't fit.  In 2010 we found the same thing near Hoonah in Port Fredrick, where the Neka river enters.  I find it strange they are allowed to do this.

Tonight we'er relaxing here in the boat with JoLee reading another book & me writing this with one hand full of my daily ration, while on the boat of a tot of hot buttered rum.  No wonder the Brits are no longer ruling the high seas having taking away the daily tot ration from the very ones who put her on top.

39 miles today & 1682 total

Jay
Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, am continuing to enjoy your travelogue. It makes up a little for my lack of opportunity to spend much time on my boat this summer.
I have to agree with you on the hot buttered rum. There is nothing quite like it to take the edge off a cold wet day - think your theory on the Royal Navy has some merit.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I am still following you on your adventure. Where is your destination (pull out on your trailer) and when do you plan on doing that.??
Your trip has inspired me as well as many others. All of us are envious, except when you are cold and wet, but that is part of the deal.
Be safe.........Jack on HIGH TIDE

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nainu & Jack, I appreciate you letting me know your still following along with us.   Jack we have to be back for a family thing in early August, so from here in Sitka we'l be working our way north to pull the boat back out of the water at Skagway sometime in the last two weeks of July & then the drive back to Wyoming with a planned stop in Yellowstone on the way.

6-28-12 & I mistakingly put this date on yesterday's writing too.  No way to correct these kind of errors now.

We woke up this morning with continuing rain with the addition of fog.  Weather report on the VHF calling for light winds & more rain with long term forecast calling for good wave conditions on the outer coast for the next four days or so.  Hope that it is more accurate than today's turned out.  Had a stiff north breeze making for an uncomfortable ride up Chatham Strait then with a only a 60 degree from north to north west turn had wind directly on the stern going up Peril Strait.  Don't know how that worked out,  but we were both glad it did.  Stopped for lunch & a quick nap in Appleton Cove then putted along on one motor until just before the Sergius Narrows Rapids.  There decided with the good weather forecast for the outer coast to pick up the speed & make for Sitka tonight instead of anchoring out partway.  This way we should be able to get restocked & back out to the Chichagof Wilderness by Saturday.  Made for a long days run & I think worth it in the long run.

Saw several whales on Peril  Strait & a bear again by Whitestone Narrows.  After not seeing hardly any bears the first month they sure have made up for it since.  

Will post some more photos if I find the time here in Sitka towmarro.

94 miles today & 1776 total

Jay
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, there are a LOT of folks following both you and Retreiver!

Keep it up and stay safe.

Thanks.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Charlie, good to hear.

6-29-12

It rained hard off & on all last night & today here in Sitka with pretty much the same on the horizon for the next few days.  Not much wind with it so the seas on the outer coast are not bad.  Was planning on taking off to the Chichagof Wilderness tomarrow morning, but the fun is pretty limited in the Mokai in a hard cold rain & visibility not so good at anchorage, so with better weather ahead in the forecast, I think we'll stay here a day or two longer.  All that & JoLee informs me the Grandkids & their parents who are now together in Cokeville, WY want to do some FaceTime or Skype with us during the next couple of days, so that too weighs heavy in the decision to stay.

Gas was down to $3.99 a gallon here today when we fueled, but I read on the news there was a big jump in oil prices, so it will be going back up.   Even with a couple of higher speed runs in the last 510 miles we still averaged 5.7 mpg, which I think is not to bad.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-30-12

The last couple of days confirmed my opinion on non stoppable moisture condensation in the cabin & sleeping berth in these conditions.  We have now had another three days of non stop rain & going into the fourth tonight.  We have shore power connected (only $5 extra in Sitka) windows partially opened, a powered fan drawing air to the outside, a cabin fan moving air & a 1500 watt ceramic electric  heater blowing hot dry air & the cabin is still dripping water on us where we are sitting tonight.  Not complaining just describing how it can be in a CD 22 in certain weather conditions.   The temperature  is 48 degrees now, which is about 10 degrees warmer than it was in April in similar rainy periods when the condensation was unstoppable  too.

Tuesday the rain should finally break & that now is when we plan to leave here for the outside coast to the north.

We'er getting our exercise by walking about in the rain.   The cramped confines of the boat is harder on JoLee then me due to her not getting to shore as much as me when we are away from the harbors.    

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-2-12

With semi blue sky & a 10 knot north breeze we just left the Sitka harbor & will be leaving SPOT tracks for the outside coast of the Chichagof  Island Wilderness.  The weather is supposed to improve, but won't hold my breath.  Talked to the Sitka Harbor Master this morning & he saiid this years weather is the worst he or anyone else can remember.  I'd register a complaint, but think, the line to long to get through, besides as the song goes "you'll never stop the rain by complaining"

Jay 
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you sunny skies and dry travels, my friend. Living in the boat this summer, we are doing the "once a week the v-berth cushions get stood up and all the underneath storage areas get wiped down" dance. Wink

We haven't had the "inside rain" that you two have had to deal with, unless Joan is boiling water for pasta... and then it's worth it. Cool

Take care, have fun,
Jim
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay-Just a note to say thanks again for your great great write-up of your Alaskan adventure. I do enjoy every word. Here's hoping you get some good weather. Wishing you both all the best.

MartyP
Nainu

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Nainu
Photos: Nainu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, you made it just in time for the "Southeast Alaska Rain Festival." It runs Jan 1 - Dec 31 every year.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I've made progress in minimizing condensation this trip. Here's what I do.

Forward hatch cracked open. Caframo 747 fan on low setting clamped on dashboard and blowing into the berth. Both side windows cracked open (or front opening window, if bug conditions permit) with another Caframo 747 blowing across the cabin, from the starboard open window to the port.

The problem comes during wind driven rain, when everything has to be closed up to avoid getting soaked. And then I just get soaked from the condensation.

Good luck on the outside! I wish I had the time...

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jay:
Sorry the rain won't stop for you and Jolee. It has been a beautiful read, keep it coming. Maybe some insulation on the rooftop. Low E insulation has silver foil on both sides and is about 1/4" thick just tape it to the outside cabin top and were ever else you can. RV shops have it, Lowes and Home Depot maybe. You could also use the blue foam sleeping pad from Walmart. Might have to head back to port to get some though. I don't think it would take much to slow down the drips. Anyway I hope the sun comes out for the rest of the trip and it warms up a little. I will be headed to Yellowstone on either the 26th or 27th for the rest of the week. What are your plans for you return trip? Be safe.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying your exploring guys! I wish the weather would be better. It isn't great here either! Cool, wet, breezy. On insulation, I added 1/2 inch foam on berth sides and extending 6 inches under edges plus covered the anchor locker bulkhead and foredeck. Helped a lot. Just today I made a deck for venting under the cushion. I racked my wee brain on this one for a long while. What I am trying out is house soffit in vinyl. It has rigid channels and many holes and is easy to cut and it's light. It supports the cushion with a 3/8 inch air space under it oriented so the air can get under there. The pieces interlock and I used clear duct tape to secure to each other It has a break in half to get to the lockers under berth we shall see! I may put 1/2 foam on top of this. As we know airflow is Crucial to evaporate the moisture we produce while asleep. I leave the forward hatch cracked with a 4 ft x4 ft tarp cover a foot or so off the deck for heavy rain. I have a small fan running also. You are in extreme condensation producing conditions! Keep the details coming enjoy. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: