The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repairing small drill holes in hull
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing small drill holes in hull Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
G/flex Epoxies, has any used this stuff?
http://www.gougeonbrothers.com/G-flex/

To answer your original question I've used the G/Flex 5 minute epoxie on a lot of different things mostly thickend to glue things up in the boat (overhead fan, magazine rack etc). I don't think it's nearly as strong as West but it's pretty handy for non critical things I wouldn't trust it to fill holes that are subjected to water.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also seen the black Starboard or HDPE. Be sure and cross hatch the back (toward the transom)--I use a cutter on a Dremel tool, and give a bit of a dove tail profile to the Starboard. Drill the holes in the Starboard first, then mark where they are going into the hull. Drill out and fill with epoxy this area--maybe you can use at least two of the screw holes from the first transducer location--but I try and keep the screws for the starboard high on the block to avoid interfering with any attempts of mounting the transducer. If you cannot find Starboard--then two 3/8" cutting HDPE boards can be used: The second one covering the first, and its screw holes--Don't go all of the way thru the first layer. I buy the large $5 boards at WalMart--cheaper than Starboard--But it is better if you can find some blocks of the 3/4" stock. I have also seen it used as skids for both hull bottoms, on decks where either traps or skiffs (pull boats) are skidded aboard--so you might find some in the commercial yard. I have also found some on the beach--it is light enough that it seems to wash to shore.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Stephen Williams

City/Region: New Smyrna Beach
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel a little stupid!! I've just had a transom transducer installed on my new 16 Cruiser. Professionally done, but he drilled directly into the transom. When I was at the Seattle Boat Show in January, and while on part of the Factory Tour, I remember them saying that the 16' transoms are now completely made from ( I think some composite material) Will that help this situation in any way, and what should I do now?? Boat has not yet been in the water since the install. Thanks.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: mind-boggling Reply with quote

Did some calling around and found a plastic supply here that actually has Blue Starboard but only in 1 inch thick, would guess that would work fine.
I understand the reasoning of overdrilling the hole and filling with epoxy, that makes sense.
Also, from talking with a number of plastic ships and boat builders I’m told nothing will bond starboard to anything; using something like 5200 will only serve as a gasket of sorts.
One boat builder I talked to suggest using UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic in place of HDPE (starboard), but said starboard would work fine also.
WOW, this boat stuff is mind-boggling at times.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: mind-boggling Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
<Some discussion clipped.>

Also, from talking with a number of plastic ships and boat builders I’m told nothing will bond starboard to anything;

True until recently!

Here's a new product from the makers of Loctite thread lockers and adhesives:

Loctite 3030 Speedbonder Adhesive

Just thought I'd correct the common understanding that is now outdated.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,
Most dealers do not go to the trouble to use a Starboard block--they don't have to deal with the boat 10 years down the line. Dealers also do what is "quick and dirty"...(Builders often take short cuts also--unfortunately).
The foam filled transom will not rot, but you can still get some water intrusion, and even though the foam is "closed cell" it can get water into it, decrease the bond and eventually might cause some breakdown--not sure if it would be a problem. I probably would redrill the holes and put the screws back into solid epoxy.

Jay,
The reaason for the cross hatching, dovetail type of cut is to give some adherance to the Starboard--1" is more than thick enough. I usually make one peripheral cut--which tends to be sure that there is always plenty of 5200 along the edges and "catches" into the cut groove. I usually use 3/4".
Stephen Williams

City/Region: New Smyrna Beach
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for your response and advice. You and Sea Wolf are such a treasure!! Steve
breausaw

Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Williams wrote:
Thank you Bob for your response and advice. You and Sea Wolf are such a treasure!! Steve

My thoughts exactly, thanks for sharing your insight and experience Bob.
I did take note of your cross hatching technique, this makes sense to help bond and hold the adhesive to the starboard.

Then Joe tosses out the Loctite 3030 Speedbonder Adhesive card. Confused
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loctite 3030 is a glue--and a good one--but it has relitatively poor filling qualities. ie; the parts need to fit very tight. If you had a good match between the HDPE and the glass hull, then it would work very well--but I would still use fasteners and drill out the screw holes to fill with epoxy. I don't see using it as a primer for 5200.
It mainly used for guling plastics to plastics.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Loctite 3030 is a glue--and a good one--but it has relitatively poor filling qualities. ie; the parts need to fit very tight. If you had a good match between the HDPE and the glass hull, then it would work very well--but I would still use fasteners and drill out the screw holes to fill with epoxy. I don't see using it as a primer for 5200.
It mainly used for guling plastics to plastics.

Good point, Bob!

I wasn't actually suggesting anyone use Loctite 3030 to glue the HDPE to the hull, just correcting the commonly held notion that there's no way to glue HDPE to itself or anything else because of it's "oily" nature.

Also good to know is that you can melt repairs over a crack or hole in HDPE, by buying a special torch that develops heat off of a propane/butane flame. (Yellow color flame, oxygen starved, and cooler than the typical blue flame.) They use these to repair RV water and holding tanks, etc. Out here on the left coast, Harbor Freight Tools sells one for about $35-$40, if I remember correctly.

As you and I both know, knowing what materials work together and how to join them with adhesives and/or mechanical bindings is half the battle of repair and maintaince sometimes!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: SCREW HOLES ON TRANSOM... Reply with quote

Today was maintanence day for the HIGH TIDE. I needed to replace the transducer trying to clear up and intermittent HUMMINGBIRD from last fall.
In the process 5 or 6 old screw holes became uncovered. I took a previous suggestion and drilled them all out to reseal. To my pleasant surprise I found good solid new looking wood in the transom in all of the holes. As my boat is 25 yrs. old that has been working on my mind. No more. Some of those old holes only had RTV in them.
I resealed them with 5200. I then bolted the new transducer to my homemade up/down sliding lexan transducer mount, screwed it to the transom sealing those 4 screw with 5200 and popped a Mikes Hard Lemonade and admired my work.

Tomorrow I need to find out why my kicker water "pee hole" will not pee. The 90 HP Honda was just fine in that regard.

After the long winter, messing around in my boat is good fun.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
C-Dude

C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Best bet HDPE in Anchorage Reply with quote

I would try either of these places for HDPE, I have had good luck with them in the past. Stay away from West Marine, you will pay 10 times as much for a similar product, Starboard is just a trade name, HDPE comes in many forms:

http://www.cacalaska.com/

http://www.alaskarubber.com/

Good Luck
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully used the white opaque cutting boards found in Wallyworld in lieu of starboard. I think they are pretty much the same as HDPE. I drill a large number of 1/4" holes about 3/4 way through the back side to help the 5200/4200 adhere and have also doubled those boards to achieve greater thickness. No problems thus far. I hate drilling holes in the boat!!
siddfynch

C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: XerxSeas
Photos: Xerxseas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Very helpful Reply with quote

This thread was great, since I found it searching for answers to pretty much the same questions.

However, I've seen a lot of reference to "undercutting" and cannot figure out what this means exactly. Can someone give me a definition?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"undercutting" means that after you drill the hole, you take something like a dremel tool or even a small allen wrench and, inserting it into the hole, you cut out some of the wood that is between the inside and outside "skins" of the hull, or deck or top, whatever you cut the hole in.

Then, you fill the hole with epoxy, let it harden and redrill the hole, usually smaller than the original hole. That way, there's no way for water to get into the core! Wink

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: