The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cummins QSD 150 hp / R-25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
When I ran the Ranger 25 with a 125 Yanmar, it never seemed to be on a full plane. As I recollect that we got up to about 13 knots. Looking at the graphs (and it would help if there were more points), but I would say 14 to 15 knots was where the boat was on a plane.

Marc--the water and air temp this time of the year, are about the same as the best summer day in the PNW...I know that your post was a bit tongue in cheek.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: cummins Reply with quote

Theoreticsl question:
Would all this make a difference if the Captain was not interested in speeds faster than 8 to 11 knots? That is my position. My CD 22 is the first boat i have ever owned (Cool that went faster than 10 knots. Low speed, and not planing is not a problem for me.

terraplane
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

around 14kt."s sounds like a sweet cruise speed ,fast enough to get you where you want go and great on fuel to boot & you can always slow down if you want the 25 sure is nice. ( out of my $ range right now) . hmmm..... now if they could only get the 21 to just cruise on a plane i"m sold -------- john
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terraplane,
Yes, I would choose a different engine if I was never going over 10 knots. The reason is that many modern diesels run best when 85% give or take of their rated speed. The major problem is carbon deposition on in the turbo chargers. Even the people who own these boats and run them a 6 to 8 knots need to run the engine up to rated cruise speed every hour or so--and then let the turbo cool down before shut down.

The older natural aspirated, slower speed engines did fine running at lower speed ranges, as long as the temp was kept up. I had several 90 hp diesels which I ran thousands of hours at half of the rated RPM--and never had any problems--just sure that the water temperature was up to 175 degrees.
The other question would be re-sale value. It seems that the majority of buyers want the larger engines, so finding a buyer would be easier for the larger engines. I don't know what engines the Ranger 25 will be offered in, but in the past, I believe that there was a 75 hp, as well as the 110 HP versions.

It-sea-Bit-C--sort of a problem in reverse--the majority of owners want to have the lower powered boats. Generally boats with this low freeboard get wet in rough seas and at high speeds. Thus owners tend to run them more in protected waters and at lower speeds. Tooling up for only a couple of boats with larger engines may not be cost effective for the factory. A completely different set of engine mounts, a new engine box, different shaft, prop and transmission--maybe a different rudder etc...
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: ranger Reply with quote

Yep, all good points.
I had a Ford Lehman on one earlier boat..slow moving,no fancy parts. And i know the 110 has to be run often at almost max speed for the good of the engine..that was, curiously enough, something that almost always happened with any boat i've owned..
This kind of reminds me of the "express trawler" thing...Boat manufacturers sensed that people wanted the best of both worlds...speed and planing, and slow, peaceful efficiency ..can't have it all.
Thanks for the input..
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK brats, not trying to start an arguement here, i"ve never owned a boat with a diesel, but i have been operating heavy equiptment since i was old enough to reach the pedals & levers, and can personaly gaurentee you that all that engine RPM talk is mostly a bunch of bull. i own & have owned many different diesel engines with THOUSANDS of hours on em , most machines i "ve bought used with well over 1000 hrs on them . many times in winter i"ll start up say /dozer / excavator/back hoe......... and one may idle for 6 or 7 hrs & get used for 1 or 2 per day and they run fine , a good yanmar example is a small john deere tractor loader i use all the time i"ts small & gets used mostly to squeze in tight spots like in foundations....etc. because it"s only a yan 30 (low power) it basically has lived life at 2 rpms wide open or idle and has done so for well over a grand and still will for many more hrs of abuse ,. Most of the big horse power stuff sits on the pump limit (governer) -(wot) whatever you want to call it or chugs along a bit above idle for days , weeks ,months on end / run just fine. yea you have to clean - em out - rev -em - up get -em hot once in a while - maintain -em . but its kinda funny to hear everyone talkin about such & such a rpm so& so hrs bla bla bla turbos factory manual says ........ ha ha ha..... trust me them diesels will take more abuse than any other elect. gas. or plastic junk we have on our boats. THATAWAY - i dont think they did all that much to squeze new 150 into the 25 mabey motor mounts , doubt they changed shaft, rudder, or probably even the prop for that matter, but who knows , they could do same for 21........ john
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took delivery of my R25 a few days before the new 150 Cummins showed up at Wefing. I had been staying in my new boat at the local marina for a week when Marc brought the slightly newer boat out to check everything out. Our boats were both red and caused alot of interest at the small marina. Mine has the 75hp Yanmar (11 kts is too fast for me). The new Cummins is much quieter than my Yanmar and actually looks lighter. In fact when I compared both boats in water the newer boat set higher with the main exhaust completely out of water. Of course I had a full load of fuel, water, and God knows how much weight. My experience is that either of these engines will outlive most of us. I love diesels.
SnugTug

City/Region: Ocean City
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Snug Tug
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plot for discussion. I took some data points last summer while running Snug Tug at various speeds, full fuel, full water, three people on board but not fully loaded with cruising gear. (top speed with cruising gear added might be another mph or two so slower) Below is a plot of speed (MPH) vs MPG (statute miles) for the R-25 (Snug Tug). Speed measured using GPS. Gallons per hour (GPH) used with speed to calculate mpg from Yanmar (110 HP) engine propeller loading curve showing GPH vs engine RPM. (As they say on the automobile stickers: "Your mileage may vary!")

Seems like once you get past 9 miles per hour (7.8 knots) the miles per gallon is pretty flat from that point on. There doesn't seem to be a "hump" in the curve where the MPG increases just after the boat goes on plane. Maybe my data is not so good or maybe the drag from the keel, which is always in the water even when the boat is "on plane" prevents the boat from acting like a true planing hull. It is a semi-displacement hull after all.

Some have talked about the boat being "on plane" at speeds of 15 knots or more. Doesn't the sharp break in the curve at 9 MPH (7.8 knots) indicate that the boat has left the displacement mode and started to plane? (at least as much as a semi-displacement can achieve a plane) I've got lots more data, but am not sure how to interpret it.

W3DVY
SnugTug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Speed vs RPM and MPG plot for R-25, 110 HP Yanmar Reply with quote

Lots of data vs RPM for the Yanmar 110 HP on an R-25.

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little hard for my old eyes to read your curve information. But what your first curve shows to me, is how effecient the boat is at low speeds (to be expected). The resistance markedly increases at 7.8 knots. Assuming that the LWL is 20 feet, The sq root is 4.47, the max effecient hull speed is 6 knots, and at 7,8 knots you are at 1.7 x sq root and starting to approach the speed where the boat begins to climb over its bow wave. (definition of a plane is when the boat has fully climbed over its bow wave and the wake is cleanly breaking aft). Semi dispalcement boats can be pushed even up to planing speeds with enough HP. But in this case, you are limited to 13 knots. (15 mph) Or only 2.9 x sq rt lwl--at the high end of the semi displacement speed. If you look at David Gerr's The Nature of Boats --a book I highly recommend--the number for plane for a heavy deep V would be 2.9 to 3.1 x sq root LWL. But the Ranger takes more than that because of the keel and its lines. (of course there are many factors in each hull form, so there is no precise universal number). But with a semidisplacement hull, you may not see a real "hump" or it may be broad, since the boat does not leap on a plane. In fact your curves look very similar to Gerr's for a displacement boat. I suspect that even with the 150 hp you will not see a true hump, as you do with a typical planing boat. There are also known calculations for HP vs weight: for example a boat weight of 7000 lbs with 110 hp would struggle to get on a plane, although with a very effecient hull it would be possiable. For example the CD 25, weight at 6500 lbs, and 130 hp is a bit underpowered--and the C Dory hull is a very effecient planing surface.

Many planing boats will be on a plane in 5 seconds, and it is difficult to hold the boat between the beginning of the hump and until it is on a plane. You have to apply a lot of force during this time. Once the boat is up on a plane, you back off on the throttle and the fuel consumption drops. This is not the case with the Ranger tug. It is application of HP and the speed gradually accelerates.

So I don't see any surprises there, and do not conclude that the boat is planing. Thanks for posting the interesting data!
SnugTug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: More on hp vs speed Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional background. I'll have to get a copy of that David Gerr book. It looks like something dramatic occurs with the R-25 at around 7 to 8 knots (8 to 9 mph). If I understand what you say, then above that speed it's in a semidisplacement mode but not yet on plane until somewhere over 15 knots. Maybe somebody needs to put a 200+ hp motor on one of these babies to see what it does across a wider speed range. Then it would be easier to see if there's a "sweet spot" in the speed curve and what hp is needed to get there. Of course the variation in weight and other conditions makes it hard to compare one test against another. Manufacturers typically use empty boats with near empty tanks to get the performance figures they publish. I don't know what premium Ranger charges for the new 130 hp and 150 hp engines, but if they're quieter, then that in itself might be reason enough to use them. As for me, I'm already committed to the Yanmar 110 hp. Given the recent trend in diesel fuel prices I may have to stick to 6 knots anyway!
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dramatic thing is that once you exceed 1.34 (give or take) times the square root of the waterline, it starts using a lot more fuel (HP) to go faster--and that is the point at which the boat starts to climb over its own bow wave. I haven't done the numbers but probably you will be using 10 hp (.8 gal/hr) at 6 knots in smooth water.
SnugTug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the sea trials the R-25 did about 6.25 knots at 1800 rpm which on the Yanmar engine data sheet shows 20 HP and about 1 gal/hr. That gives just over 6 nautical miles per gallon, Not bad mileage but s - l - o - w . Most of my previous experience has been with sail, so I'm acclimated to life in the slow lane.

Cruising: "The fine art of going nowhere, slowly and at great expense."

I ordered the David Gerr book from Amazon. It says it's for the "nautically obsessed," which is about right for me! Looking forward to studying it.
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Prop Reply with quote

I am going to have to agree. I think it would be best to take a little cup out of that prop. I had run that boat at 4050 rpm at 21.0 kts with 20 gallons of fuel and 10 gallons of water on board. I think you should gain about 100 rpm to bring you in the 3900 range.
SnugTug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

OK, now I'm confused. The comments directly above are for an R-25 with the Yanmar 110 hp engine. Max rpm = 3200. It hits 3200 at full throttle, so the prop seems to be pitched about right. Are your comments for a Cummins 150 hp powered R-25? We've been discussing hp vs speed of various engine combinations in this thread, so maybe it's getting confusing?? Some of the posts earlier in the thread gave info on the 150 hp boats. We're just trying to get a handle on performance vs horsepower expectations and experience. Anyway, thanks for the additonal info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: