The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brand new CD25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady, as a waiting-to-be 25 C-Dory owner we are sorry to hear that you are having some problems with yours. I hope everything will be resolved to your satisfaction very soon. I would be curious to hear about the performance of the Honda 150 when you get a chance.

On a more positive note, we went up to EQ Marine today and took a look at Jerry's boat. It looks really great and his modifications turned out well, we will probably be copying some of them. Also had a nice conversation with Les and would like to thank him again for the time that he gave us. Jerry, we will be sending some photos your way soon.

Scott and Laurie
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your picture of the hotwater heater drain. It is interesting that I saw the same type of installation on a new CD25 at the Sacramento boat show. It should be easy to fix the kinked hose. The question is, Why would the installer or dealer be happy with that type of work!

Wanabe CD owner,
Steve
Coastie Dory
Dealer

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I was looking at Minnow's pictures and the marks on the keel are consistant with what I saw on one of our boats. I believe these to be mold marks or something that was done to the boat at the factory, in transit, or at the dealer. It is hard to tell from a photo, but I doubt the problem is serious. The boat is basically solid fiberglass at the keel and the amount of force required to crack it would be substantial. These are problems that should be fixed before the customer takes possession, but sometimes things slip by. The most important thing is that the issues are resolved in a timely manner to the customer's satisfaction.

The remaining items look to be easily resolved at the dealership level. There is still little excuse for the issues, and I can understand the customer's distress. I think a happy outcome is easily attainable as long as cool heads prevail.

Good luck, Randy.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady,

First, let me say how nice “minnow” looks on her trailer. Yours is the first red CD-25 that I’ve seen. Thumbs Up

The concerns that you’ve raised are well documented in your album photos. What an experience, water in the fuel on the sea trial and a used 2003 trailer sold to you as new. Thumbs Down Why did you accept the boat in that condition (guess maybe you were overcome by “minnows” beauty, easy to see why)?

The dealer should make right the trailer, water in the fuel, heater, windshield, and the leak in the deck hatch. The crack or gouge is the one that causes pause. Does it appear to be a crack or was the damage caused by impact with something (there appear to be stress lines in the gel near the damaged area)?
You might consider getting a neutral opinion from a local surveyor (not connected with the dealer) to try to determine the cause and severity of the damage.

Please continue your posts here; I sense that you are a positive person caught up in a very negative situation. I could make you feel better by telling the story of my good friend’s experience with the delivery of his new Bayliner 2858 but there isn’t enough time. Let’s just say his nightmare was far worse than yours.

No boat is perfect but a good dealer often shelters the customer from many manufacturing defects. The C-Dory is a great boat (just ask anyone on this site) but they do have imperfections (some more than others). Our job as consumers is to make the factory aware of defects (usually through the dealer) and seek a proper repair. If the defects continue and the factory ignores quality control, then consumers will vote with their feet. Thus far, C-Dory has made good effort to make sure that their customers are satisfied.

Good luck,

Jerry

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the crack. The larger crack does have slightly rounded edges as if it might be a mold line or a gel coat lap area, but it is surrounded by smaller typical gel coat stress cracks. I talked to the dealer this morning and followed up with E-mails and pictures to him and also to Jeff @ C-Dory. Yesterday I call a marine surveyor and he offered much advice, but declined to get involved unless or until my dealer drops the ball. I will post progress reports as I get them. B
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnow wrote:
OK, here goes. About a half mile into the sea trial, an alarm sounded, and and icon on the Honda digital gauge was blinking. Looking it up in the manual showed it as the water separator alarm. Water in the tank had overwhelmed the Racor and tripped the float in the Honda separator. At least we made it back to the dock. The dealer siphoned out some (most?) of the water, but it is I still need to drain the water from the Racor every few miles. Next were the scratches in the port windshield. Pointed out to the dealer, he replied "huh". I asked the rigging mechanic if he had rigged the water heater drain, and he said it came from the factory that way. (See photo album).
So I was sent home with a 2003 Load-Rite trailer that had been used and sold to me as new. The trailer tracked real strait, probably due to the 580 pound tongue weight. I happened to be under the trailer in my driveway, (fixing the short in the trailer running light circuit), when I spotted the crack running the full length of the keel. It was pretty easy to spot because the lousy wax job made it stand out much better. Next I pulled a deck hatch to see why water was getting in, and found an oversize cutout and an undersized caulk bead and no sealant on the screws. These are just a few of the more obvious deficiencies that I have noticed in the 7 days that I have owned this boat.
I'm sorry if all my posts have been negative, but I still think that this boat is the right one for me. I just hope that the dealer and the factory will do right by me. I will most certainly let you know.
Brady on Minnow

Hey Brady -

How did these problems work out for you? I've had a couple of folks recently ask me about it, and I really don't know the answers. I do hope you ended up happy with everything, but if you didn't, that needs to be aired also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: