The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Best Lifesling Tackle Attachment Point on CD-22?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from the pictures I posted in the Kingfisher album, using the cross brace on the radar arch (tall version) just brings the bottom of the lifesling to the rail.
To do this you have to hook into the loops right at the lifesling itself.

If this is not enough you can effectively increase the "height" by pulling the PIW over the opposite rail. It may not be pleasant but I bet it's nicer than the alternative.

Not perfect, but...

Mev
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good way to attatch, Merv. The ideal would be to get the lifting point lower, with either a bowsun's chair or harness.

You can pull a person a board, but again, it means leaning over to pick up the feet etc--not easy to do for a light person with a heavy person in the sling.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we're on the topic...how have you mounted the lifesling soft case to the boat?

I spent about an hour in the cockpit with it yesterday, and I think I've determined the best location: Back of the cabin, starboard side, below the window. Why is this best?

1) Accessible regardless of the state of the camper canvas. Just behind the cabin on either side are the only locations crew can always get to regardless of the state of the canvas. These are also the locations where exterior access is always available. The starboard side is the only side where the Lifesling wouldn't be obscured behind the cabin door.

2) It's on the driver's side: This is the side you want to bring your MOB in on, because the driver can keep the MOB in view from the steering station.

3) It's reasonably out of the way. Mounting it any place is going to "use up" precious cockpit space, but this is just about the least onerous bit of space to use. It's a space generally kept clear, because we usually tie up starboard-to, yet having the Lifesling here doesn't affect mobility in and out of the boat in any significant way.

4) It's in plain view, and always accessible. I want guests as well as regular crew to be aware of the rescue gear. With the Lifesling mounted as I plan to, it's always easy to find.

My second-favorite mounting spot was under the aft deck, between the fuel tanks. This had the advantage of being out of the way, but the disadvantage of being out of sight. It's also possible some item stored in the cockpit could become an obstacle when trying to deploy the Lifesling. Also, it limits the utility of this space for storing other items, such as an ice chest.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
We have the optional bar across the motor well and as you can see from the photo's (in album) we use the stbd side of that.
Not perfect when there is a cooler back there but workable, visible and otherwise out of the way.
Also since it was designed for velco attachments to pipe it goes on easily. If we are leaving the boat sowhere it is simply removed and stowed to avoid tepmtation.

Merv
timflan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my completed Lifesling installation:

timflan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would followup with my further ruminations on this topic. I've decided to develop a parbuckle/boarding ladder for the C-Dory. No idea how well it works, yet! Still, it's coming along nicely:

I've written it all up with illustrations over at Navagear.com:

http://www.navagear.com/2007/06/overboard-rescue-a-parbuckleladder/
http://www.navagear.com/2007/07/overboard-rescue-parbuckleladder-2/
http://www.navagear.com/2007/07/overboard-rescue-parbuckleladder-3/
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your parbukle idea! Let us know how it works.

Steve
timflan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly will. My biggest concern is the the parbuckle is not wide enough. I needed something that would fit between the cabin and the framework for the canvas. So that's the big compromise, and we'll only be able to determine how bad that is by parbuckling a real adult up into the boat.

The second big unknown is whether or not a smaller adult can actually lift a heavier, waterlogged PIW into the boat with it. If it works well enough, but requires more power for smaller rescuers, then I'll contemplate adding some sort of tackle/hoist arangement, but I'm skeptical that adding complexity is really going to help. KISS, you know.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that the person to be retrieved with the parbuckle is floating unconscious parallel to the hull, how do you get the parbuckle up and underneath the victim and then hooked on to the hoist? Maybe I don't understand how it is designed to be used...

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you test, try it with the biggest person in the water, and in calm water to begin with (have the swim ladder ready)--Be sure that the "Victum" is wearing a good wet suit. Then try it in rough weather.

We have done a number of trial "rescues"--with me in the water (past tense now)--and Marie pulling me out. It is much harder than you may think. I suspect that Marie could not pull me out with the Parabuckle...but no proof of that. (Marie is about 125 lbs and I am about 185 lbs). We have found at 5 or 6 to one is necessary for the lift (or better yet, an electric winch).
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I would agree with your concern that your parbuckle net is probably not wide enough, additionally the victim's head and legs will be difficult to get in around the obstruction of the cabin and the camperback support. However, it is certainly worthy of trying. On our Fire/Rescue boat we have used a large cargo net that appears similar to your set-up, however is wider. Another difference is that our gunnels in the cockpit are lower to the water than what is on our C-Dorys. We usually operate with a crew of three on board, so muscle power is not an issue. Yes, it is difficult to manuever the net under the victim as you have to be able to slip it under the victim and retrieve it on the side furthest from you. (Not bad in calm water.....different story in rough water). (FYI....it is also possible to parbuckle a victim in by rigging ropes in a "zigzag" fashion....obviously even more of a challenge than a net). The intricacies of bringing a victim on board (especially an unconscious or hypothermic patient) is indeed a challenge and may require "dipping" into a large back of tricks to accomplish the task. I commend you on your efforts to come up with viable solutions.

(Tom on the "Susan E", performed a challenging (and successful) rescue with his 22' Cruiser a year ago in rough water and if I remember correctly his victims were not only approaching hypothermia, but one of them was a fairly large person).

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional fact to remember is that if you are rescuing a victim, fail to contact and keep a hold of the victim on the first attempt, and have to circle around to come back to him/her, the chances of a successful rescue is significantly deteriorated as unless the victim is wearing a life jacket, they will most likely slip beneath the water surface as they give up hope.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left Friday Harbor on Saturday, July 7, 2007, and as we were leaving a man and woman were docking their sailboat on the row of slips across from us. During the docking process the woman fell overboard. There were a lot of people around to assist her. The biggest issue at that point was to keep the boat away from the dock as to not pin the woman between the boat and the dock.

The dock floats on the water and was approx. 6-8 inches above the surface of the water. The woman could not lift herself onto the dock! In fact, several people together could not lift the woman onto the dock. She was not overly large, and she was probably in her late 30s early 40s, but by all appearances she was not used to physical labor (that's the most polite way I could think to describe her) and she could not help with her own rescue.

Let me repeat that...6-8 inches above the water to the dock and several people could not lift this woman onto the dock.

We talk a lot about rescuing people and using pulleys and other tools to assist, but let's not forget that we need to keep ourselves in shape if we expect to help ourselves and others.

As a reference, several teenagers earlier in the day were jumping off the dock and into the water only to climb out and do it again and again. So, water temperature and dock height were not obstacles for everyone.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
Let me repeat that...6-8 inches above the water to the dock and several people could not lift this woman onto the dock.

So --- what happened?

Warren
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

To be completely honest, I don't know. We were pulling out of our slip when she fell in the water on the dock behind us. I'm sure they ultimately pulled her out, because there were lots of people around. Last time I looked about 5 guys were running over to assist. With that much muscle power I'm sure they got her out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: