The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/16 - 05/20 - 5th Annual Delta/Bay Extravaganza
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno Jim, if John and Robin come (which they have every year), they also have a blue CD25. Hmmm, not balanced, 2 blues against a green...

Please do come if you can swing it, it's one heck of a good time and every year so far has been quite different in activities, sight-seeing, overnight locations and even people! This cruise is in line to be one of the great west-coast get-togethers South of Washington -- next to the Catalina cruise that is.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
hammerhead

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Cant make it Reply with quote

just been informed that we can not make it in May. Medical reasons Sad

maybe next year

Jim Gibson

C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All Delta/Bay Extravaganza Attendees:

Below is the conceptual plan for the 5th Annual Delta/Bay Extravaganza. This event is officially scheduled from Wednesday, May 16th, through Sunday, May 20th. Right now there are eleven (11) C-Dory boats, and approximately twenty (20) people and two (2) dogs, that have indicated interest in attending this entire event as follows:

1. Pounder (2)
2. Dora-Jean (2)
3. Islander (3)
4. Salty-Cs (2)
5. Discovery (2)
6. Lisa (1?)
7. SEA3PO (1 man and a dog?)
8. Seabran (2)
9. Sealife (1 man and a dog?)
10. Wild Blue (2)
11. Dinner Belle II (2).

We have communicated with John and Robbin (Dinner Belle II) and they again have generously offered to host us at their private duck club on Wheeler Island in order to properly kick off the event. We are very much appreciative for this unique opportunity and consider it a privilege that we do not take for granted.

Our activity schedule is planned slightly different every year, and so far we have never precisely implemented the conceptual plan for that year due to heavy weather constraints. In the Central/West Delta main channels one wants to avoid the incoming wind and the outgoing tides, as they can be nasty enough to even put a mighty C-Dory out-of- commission. Once you are off Pittsburgh, the water becomes wider, and the wind is usually going to be coming at you from the West, and if the tide is going out, hang on! Last year we were holed up for two days at the duck club because of this kind of heavy weather inland water conditions.

The proposed schedule for this trip is as follows:

A. Wednesday, May 16th leave Rio Vista (Delta Marina) no later than Noon, and arrive at Wheeler Island late afternoon

B. Thursday, May 17th leave Wheeler Island on an early incoming tide (regardless of the time of day, i.e. either real early or real late in the day (I don’t have a tide chart handy now)) and safely arrive at Petaluma (Petaluma Turning Basin) whenever we get there

C. Friday, May 18th, leave Petaluma at an appropriate time to transverse San Pablo Bay safely, and arrive at Sausalito (Schoonmaker Point Marina)

D. Saturday, May 19th, leave Sausalito mid-morning and arrive at San Francisco (South Beach Harbor)

E. Sunday, May 20th, leave San Francisco at first early light and return to Rio Vista before Noon.

We have not yet made it to Petaluma as this is a relatively new goal, even though we tried last year. We have taken Jack London Square off of our over-night destinations for now because downtown Oakland just seems too rough for us, even though Jack London used to hang out there. We have not been back to San Francisco since the 2005 Extravaganza so we thought we would try SF again for 2007.

Like always, we believe that this year’s schedule will provide something for everybody, with side trips to be scheduled in-between. We will be flexible with our schedule as required. For example, if we cannot make it to Petaluma, we may end up at Benicia for the night like we did last year.

For full disclosure, and for the uninitiated, this trip is not for the faint-of-heart. The extravaganza covers approximately 200 NM in a relatively short time period, and there is always unpredictability with weather and water conditions. This trip definitely discourages the 16-foot C-Dory. The more experienced and competent-on-the-water 22 and 25 foot C-Dory people have generally enjoyed this trip the most.

Each boat captain is solely responsible for their own boat’s and passenger’s ultimate safety and well-being. Each skipper is not to rely on the judgment (or lack thereof) of the pack leader.

In reviewing prior experience with this event, it has not been uncommon for an individual boat captain to choose an alternative itinerary mid-course into the event, depending on their individual boat handling comfort level and/or affinity for risk. However, in most instances our C-Dory group has generally stayed, and played, together, and we hope that is the case this year.

This is our 5th time for this C-Dory cruise, and we have always enjoyed ourselves and the other participants. We enthusiastically look forward to this trip each year. Those that seem to have enjoyed this trip the most in the past seem to have been able to live with our number one rule - NO Whining.

More details of the trip will follow later. For now we need to firm up our boat and head count.

After reviewing this conceptual plan, if there are any changes to your proposed attendance please let us know now. If your boat is on the above list we are assuming that you are coming for this entire event, unless we hear from you. You do not have to respond if you are on this list and you are coming for the entire event. Otherwise we need to hear from you by no later that this Friday, March 16th.

Friday, March 16th will be the final drop-dead date for sign-up for this event. The reason for this closure date is the need to make advance reservations in a fairly high demand marina area. Do not expect to attend this event if you are not confirmed by this Friday, March 16th.

Thank you for your interest in this event. The vast majority of indicated attendees are repeats from prior years, and we believe that this is some testimonial to the overall experience. New attendees are very welcome to participate. As always, we look forward to seeing everyone in May.

Sincerely

Jim and Kath

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Our plans are changed somewhat... Sue will be joining us on the trip to the Delta.... She had planed on flying to Florida to meet me, but now that I am doing the motorcycle thing she has changed her mind...(wonder why ?)
So it's the Delta fer the whole family...

Joel
SEA3PO
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, perfect! I've never been to Petaluma (by water), I know we tried last year, looking forward to some exploring this historical city. Great to be back to SF instead of Oakland, I agree, it was OK but a little dicey and not so quaint, kind of like Avalon vs the Isthmus at Catalina.

Thanks for your planning, big effort, great job, we'll be there for sure, and looking forward to getting together with such a fantastic group of people!

Hey Joel, that's great to hear Sue will be joining us, I know it's tough with her schedule and all. I like you dog, but well, doesn't hold a candle to Sue...
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to bring this topic to the top of the list at the beginning of this week so folks could have a chance to see it and to respond if necessary to this Friday's drop dead date.

Thanks.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that two boats have listed that they are traveling with a dog. Molly the C-Brat cat goes where we go, and will be on our boat with us (in case this is "need to know" info).

She does not eat "people food", so will be dining onboard, but she is leash-trained and won't poop on the Duck Club property. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Salty-Cs

City/Region: Yorba Linda
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Salty-Cs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy and Jim,

The new itinerary looks awesome. Kerry and I are very excited!!

Salty-Cs Photos
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder-

At the end of today we will be cutting off any more new attendees to the 2007 Delta/Bay Extravaganza.
Salty-Cs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are thinking of heading a little further North to Lake Shasta after enjoying the Delta. We are considering spending about 3-4 days on the lake. Any suggestions for anchorages, etc. would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested in joining us, that would be great!

The Delta Cruise, on it's own, is truly an event worth the long drive North and it's giving us an opportunity to expand our cruising grounds even more.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty-C's -

Send me a phone number on a PM, and Ill be happy to discuss Lake Shasta with you! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All Delta/Bay Extravaganza Attendees:

This event is now officially closed to any new attendees. The marina reservations have been made. Below are the confirmed marina facilities.

1. Wednesday, May 16th, Delta Marina, Rio Vista
Harbor Master Bill (707) 374-2315

· $10 launch fee to be paid individually at front desk on check-in
· Vehicle and trailer to be parked in gated grass lot at end of Marina facility, one day free parking, then $5 per day for 4 days (Thursday to Sunday), so pay $20 individually at front desk for parking on check-in
· Total cost here for everyone, except Dinner Belle II, equals $30 ($10 + $20)
· Please pay in cash

2. Wednesday, May 16th, Wheeler Island Private Duck Club
Jim’s cell phone (916) 799-0286

· No shore power or water hookups
· Restrooms in clubhouse
· No dock fees

3. Thursday, May 17th, City-owned Petaluma River Turning Basin
Petaluma Visitors Center (707) 769-0429

· $20 per night, per vessel, regardless of size
· Please pay me $20, cash or check, during the event, as I will have sent the entire group payment into the City
· No rest rooms or showers at dock, numerous local restaurants and businesses nearby, in the quaint downtown, and rest rooms at Visitor’s Center, 2 blocks away
· Shore power and water hookups
· Everyone (maybe rafted-out depending on space availability) docked on 500 feet visitor dock, on South Side of Basin

4. Friday, May 18th, Sausalito Schoonmaker Point Marina
Harbor Master Mike Rainey (415) 331-5550

· $1 per foot, either $22 or $25 per night, per vessel, depending on size
· Cash only, paid individually at check-in
· Key deposit at check-in
· Rest rooms and showers
· Shore power and water hookups
· Every one on “F” Dock

5. Saturday, May 19th, San Francisco South Beach Harbor
Harbor Master Jon Wessel (415) 495-4911

· $1 per foot, either $22 or $25 per night, per vessel, depending on size, please pay me, cash or check, during the event
· $10 per vessel service fee for large group reservation, please pay me, cash or check, during the event
· Key deposit at check-in
· Rest rooms and showers
· Everyone on “A” Dock.
xxx

In summary, total marina fees for everyone, but Dinner Belle II, are as follows:

· 22 Foot C-Dory
$104, ($30 + $20 + $22 + $22 + $10), of which $52 is paid to me at time of the event

· 25 Foot C-Dory
$110 ($30 + $20 + $25 + $25 + 10), of which $55 is paid to me at time of the event

For Dinner Belle II the fees will be:

$80 ($20 + $25 + $25 + $10), of which $55 is paid to me at time of the event.

Future communications will discuss food, activities, and more detailed logistics such as tides and bridge openings. Again, we are looking forward to seeing everyone.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All Delta and Bay Extravaganza Attendees:

Now that we have our destination itinerary, we provide some details on our daily group event activities and food arrangements. First, some small amount of romancing about the Bay.

An extraordinary thing about cruising in the Delta and the Bay is the plethora of destinations, including our end destination itself, San Francisco. John Steinbeck called San Francisco “the City”. Besides San Francisco, only small sections of London and Rome match the beauty of this place.

South Beach Harbor, San Francisco has little tourist activity and traffic, and it provides an out-of-the-way place where one can enjoy the City experience, walk to numerous fine restaurants, and take advantage of the view from this prime piece of real estate for a reasonable moorage fee.

Schoonmaker Point Marina, Sausalito is strictly an upscale facility in a very aesthetic location near the Golden Gate Bridge, and close to the Sausalito Yacht Club.

The adjective used frequently to describe Petaluma is “charming”, with its small town atmosphere, and it is a wonderful place to wonder around from the riverfront.

Of course the Wheeler Island Duck Club is so exclusive and remote, few folks have even been there. If one is so lucky to be invited here, it is like going back 100 years to the time of Hemmingway, and other great sportsmen and conservationists.

Enough of this mental wandering.

xxx

This is our fifth (5th) year we have undertaken this challenging five-day trip. It is a fast moving journey, covering much diverse territory, and the adventure is totally weather dependent. We cover close to 200 NM on the entire round-trip, so please come with full fuel tanks.

For planning purposes there are ten (10) C-Dories, including 6, 22-foot cruisers, 3, 25-foot cruisers, and 1, 25 foot tomcat. There are 18 to 20 soles on-board in total.

1. Wednesday, May 16th

Kath and I will be hosting a steak BBQ dinner at the Wheeler Island Duck Club. John and Robbin will be helping with the cooking and preparations. No need for anyone to bring dinner food for this opening night.

Everyone is to bring his or her own drinks throughout the trip (both non-alcohol and alcohol). Unless otherwise specified as a group meal, everyone is on their own for breakfasts and lunches.

Feel free to bring your own wine to dinner on Wednesday night, or host your own cocktail hour at the dock at any of our destinations.

Seven of the 10 vessels are coming very long distances. There will be awards after dinner on Wednesday, just for making it to the Duck Club!

Ron Islander is head of the entertainment committee and he has some group communion activities planned for after dinner.

2. Thursday, May 17th

Kath and I will be providing bacon and eggs for a hearty send-off group breakfast at the Duck Club. Again, John and Robbin will be helping out with the breakfast preparations.

We need four (4) food volunteers for the following items for the Thursday group breakfast:

· Coffee, milk and sugar, and orange juice
· Hash brown potatoes, bread, butter, and jam
· Pastry
· Fresh fruit bowl.

We have to leave the Duck Club in time to make a scheduled bridge opening on the Petaluma River and to get ahead of the outgoing tide in San Pablo Bay. We need to leave the docks at John’s place no later than 9:30 AM, Thursday morning.

On Thursday we will be staying right in scenic downtown Petaluma. It should be very quaint. This is a brand new venue that we have not yet reached in five years!

There are many neat restaurants and businesses that one can easily walk to from where we are staying in the Petaluma Turning Basin. We expect that those that want to can all go out to dinner Thursday night.

3. Friday, May 18th

On Friday we will be heading for Sausalito. We need to clear the Petaluma “D” Street Bridge as a group by 8:00 AM, Friday morning.

At Schoonmaker Point Marina we will be staying on “F” Dock. Remember on sighting into Schoonmaker to line up with Day Marker #6, on the way in, and way out. This is also a good place for fuel if you need to top your tanks off.

Sausalito is pretty cool place, and we usually use this destination to “just hang out” for some down time and relaxation after having safely got across that nasty San Pablo Bay. There are several neat places to explore over at Tiburon and Belvedere for those inclined and having the energy.

We are in the process of making group reservations at the Sausalito Yacht Club for a Friday night group dinner for those that want to attend. We dined there two years ago and enjoyed the beautiful scenery along with rubbing elbows with other “Yachters”.

4. Saturday, May 19th

On Saturday we will be heading over to the City. Remember to not wait too late to go over there or you could end up battling those prevailing Westerly winds. The westerly or northwesterly winds on the Bay usually begin just before noon; so if you want to avoid them, get settled in to your destination before noon. Also watch out carefully for large ocean-going commercial vessels.

At South Beach Harbor we will all be staying together on “A” dock, and we will give you your specific slip assignments later.

There are also lots of options for Saturday morning. In year’s past many have gone over to Angel Island and then walk the hiking trails along the vista point looking at the Golden Gate. Others have taken a boat tour around Alcatraz Island or over to Jack London Square. Finally, some have gone out the Golden Gate to check out what the rugged North Coast is all about.

This will be the early part of the King/Chinook Salmon season. So far the fish have been farther South by Monterey. However, one never knows. We always bring our Salmon trolling and mooching rigs with us just in case they are running that day and we want to try our luck early Saturday morning out the Golden Gate, maybe on up to Bolinas Bay.

We would make a decision Friday night if any of us were going to do this salmon fishing. Bring your fishing equipment if you have an interest in this. We also recommend putting a seasickness patch behind your ear Friday night if you decide to go.

If any of the group is up for it we can all have a nice farewell Italian meal at one of the close by neighborhood restaurants in the City. In years past, some have walked down to the Ferry Building and jumped on the Cable Cars for a world-wind tour of the City. Or we could all get on one boat and head down to Pier 39. Finally, we could take a taxi and head to Fisherman’s Warf for a nice fish dinner at Scoma’s restaurant. Lots of great options for us to choose.

5. Sunday, May 20th

We will leave the South Beach docks at sunrise (sharp), because of weather unpredictability and the length of the trip. In year’s past we usually pull up to the docks at Rio Vista before 11:30 AM.

xxx

Hugs and kisses to everyone, our boats securely retrieved, trucking down the road - hopefully looking forward to another great extravaganza next year!

Jim and Kath on M/V Pounder
And the C-Tales Continue

PS-

(Please sign-up for one of the four food volunteers for Thursday morning)
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't wait for the "extravaganza" It will be just as fun as the past years--knowing all the hard work Jim and Kathy put in to assuring that everyone has a great time. We will furnish the fresh fruit bowl for breakfast at the duck club. If there is anything else, we would be glad to help with more. See you all at Rio Vista. We'll be there tues. afternoon. Wild Blue is traveling with us from Lake Powell.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Salty-Cs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll bring an assortment of pastries.

We can't wait for the fun to commence.

Sam and Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: