The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/20 - 08-26 - Catalina Adventure in Paradise 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Time and Catalina Beckons!! Just a month and a half away. This year, because of Marina del Rey's very unfriendly parking charge ($7 per day), the Channel Island Group has elected to cruise down to MDR instead of trailer. Done it before....takes about 3 hours.

Also, MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT

THE FIRST EVER, ANNUAL, NO HOLDS BARRED, NO RULES, CATALINA DINGY RACE.

Well, actually a couple of rules:

*Rowing or paddling only, no motors.
*LeMans start....from the beach in front of the resturant, left around the dingy dock and out towards sea, around the end of the pier, back towards shore, then under the pier, back to the start point.

Trophy for winner

You don't want to miss this event......be there!!

Talk about raising the bar, Pounder?

Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea Mike!!!
Salty-Cs

City/Region: Yorba Linda
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Salty-Cs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like everything but the "no motor" part

Salty-Cs Photos
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealife wrote:

*LeMans start....from the beach in front of the resturant

Mike, have you considered a start from the beach in front of a bar....could lead to some added entertainment.... Disgust .......'course make sure all have life jackets.. Rolling Eyes

C-Brat #16
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sealife-

Great tender race idea, but unfortunately for this year I upgraded my tender to a larger (nine foot), new Walker Bay Odyssey Air Floor (270) with a 6 HP motor. I wanted to be like Sam and Kerry and Islander, having a more substantial tender that I could use to explore around the island during the day and perhaps take my dive gear with me. This year I am bringing my own regulator and wet suit so I can be more in tune with the marine life.

You might want to have two divisions of the race, one with motors, and one without, then handicap the tenders for the size of their engines!
Mike, it is great that you are kicking your event up a bit in tune with Pounder's extravaganza. Cool

Regarding leaving from the Channel Islands area, if one was to launch from there, is there a ramp there? Where would one park there for a week? Would the vehicle be safe there? What is the parking cost there? On what day and at what time would you be leaving the Channel Islands for MDR?

We have not decided yet where we are going to leave from to head over to Two Harbors. Mike, please give us some more details about this alternative launching place.

Because our tender is now so relatively large (as compared to our vessel), we have to decide if we want to tow it over to Catalina, or take it over there in Pounder and then have the taxi boat take us to shore where we would have to set up the tender. Sam and Kerry, do you have any thoughts on what is the best option here for getting the tender over there?

Sincerely,

Jim

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I now have a 9.5' dink with an inflatable floor and keel. I had it up in the San Juans last summer. I carried the dink over in the cockpit to James Island. Once there, I unrolled in out on the engines and inflated it with the battery powered pump, then set it in the water to tighten up with the foot pump. Once inflated, I left it in the water and towed it for the remainder of the trip. It handled great at 18 knots in the protected waters. You would want to go slower in the waters down here with the swells and wind waves.
Heck, I'll race you with the oars. We have the same size boat, should be fairly even.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sealife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the competitive juices are starting to flow, the positioning, the handicaping, the cheating? No, my friends, this will be a bare knuckle race, no motors!! I don't think the Harbor Patrol would appreciate a group of screaming, powered dingys racing around their pier. No, your engines are all removable. "No rules" means you can have fifteen people paddling your dingy, but no engines.

Pounder, there is a launch ramp just up the street from where we keep our boats in Channel Islands Harbor. I'm not sure of the daily fee, but I'm sure it's not as much as MDR. You could also park your vehicle in our parking lot at Channel Islands Landing for free. We could get a parking pass to go in your window that would keep you from getting a ticket. For a small fee, ($20), they could even launch you with the hoist. We normally plan to leave Channel Islands at around 0900 on Sunday morning. Takes about 3 hours to cruise down to MDR.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From MDR to the Isthmus, it's 30nm. From San Pedro (Cabrillo ramp) it's about 20nm, but that area is pretty dicey; parked there over this last 4th of July weekend for 4 days, no problems though. Since I have the option, I'm going to launch at MDR and pay their fees, it is a pretty secure lot with good patrols.

Looking forward to the dingy race Mike, great idea. Maybe I'll have to feather, shape and "turbocharge" my oars...or would that trigger a handicap rating adjustment!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Sealife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recap of those boats signed up for the Catalina Adventure 2006:

Sealife
BobCat
C-PuP
Discovery
Dora-Jean
Fishtales
Islander
Salty-Cs
Sea3PO
Pounder (Not listed on the sign-up sheet, but he wouldn't dare miss this)

How about koinonia, and Lil Rascal, and Water Lily?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Blue and crew are still planning to be there if the timing works out... all depends on the shakedown when we pick the boat up. Sounds like big fun!
Best wishes,
Jim & Joan B.

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are thinking about trying to make this since we did not make our Puget Sound trip. How about someone posting where to launch and leave the rig, when most people will be heading over, and any other general info.

Thanks,
Steve
Sealife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray,

Check out the very first post on this thread for that info. Additionally, most of us meet Sunday at Chase Park in Marina Del Rey. Chase Park is just down the channel from the MDR launch ramp. I believe they charge about $16 to stay overnight, and they have shore power and nice showers. We usually get together that evening for dinner.....it's a short walk to resturants and the market for last minute provisions. The next morning, bright and early, we all head over to Catalina. It's usually very calm in the early hours.....takes about 2 hours to cross. The launch ramp/parking lot charges $7 per day. So if you intend on staying at Catalina for 6 days, it's $42. Those of us that live north of L.A. will launch at Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard, and cruise down, avoiding the $42 charge. It's a 3 hour cruise. If that fits your location, let me know and I'll give you further info on the launching facilities at Channel Islands Harbor.

The first night over at Catalina (Monday) is traditionally a beach barbecue, with me supplying the beef, and everyone pitching in with side dishes, etc.. How familiar are you with Catalina......mooring, shore facilities, etc? There's plenty of info on line, but if you need mire let me know.
Sealife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Blue,

Sure hope you can join us. Can't think of a better first cruise than Catalina. It would also make for a good shake down cruise, as you would have lots of company (security), and another 25 footer or two to compare notes with.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (Seabran),

Go back to the first post, Mike outlined the general agenda. Basically boats will arrive at Marina Del Rey on Sunday, either by sea from Channel Islands Marina or park at MDR and launch. I plan to park there along with a few others and pay the $7 per day, it's a nice lot, clean, well patroled.

You can stay overnight in the parking lot or launch and get a spot at the Guest Dock, I think it's about $15-20 per night unless rates have gone up. Dinner can be on board or maybe some will go for a short walk to one of the many restaurants nearby.

Monday morning the main group will leave for the Isthmus, Catalina. Either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday will be an excursion to one of the other islands, like Santa Barbara or San Clemente, dependent upon weather and optional of course. Usually have a group pot-luck fish fry that evening.

Diving, fishing, hiking, kayaking and generally kicking back is the itinerary, very pleasant at that end of the island, no rushing around. Friday night is the farewell supper at the one and only restaurant (not counting the bar and grill). Very nice, can't miss. Heading back on Saturday. This itinerary seems to work well, it avoids the heavier weekend rushes on Saturday nights.

Some people will arrive later than the main group or leave earlier, just make sure you tell Mike so he or others can plan reserving a mooring or place on the 'string line' for the days you'll be staying. Glad to hear you're thinking of coming, this is a great trip.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we've signed up (our first official C-Brat gathering) and are excited about making this trip. Our boat is supposed to be done next week and we will be picking it up shortly after that. It will be a real treat for us to see how others have set up their boats for cruising and traveling with a group (another first for us).

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: