Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a real bummer Tom. Very sorry to hear it. I think watching E-Bay is a very good idea. Will be hard to fence a dome with a cut cable.

Dogs are a good idea and a couple of these wouldn't hurt!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out. http://www.flagshipsentry.com/autopage.html

ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try putting a $25 dummy security camera on my house roof and aim it at the CD - some of these cameras even have battery powered flashing red lights. Then, I'd post a notice inside the pilot house window:

"Smile you're being recorded by the security camera mounted on our house roof".
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dog, hes just old and a whimp about sleeping out side. If you knock on the dog he will tear you a new one in no time flat, but he will not sleep out side in the winter. I have already been checking cragslist and ebay along with several other fishing boards that have for sale forums. I will be getting a camera and alarm system for the boat. I just have not decided which ones or how many yet. If the dog can here the alarm ,inside or out , then he will be up and ready to tear some one up. I will also be posting a reward for information at all the local gas stations and tackle shops that will let me. I should have gotten the camera after the last time, but did not follow thru. If I had a pic of the $#$@#$# then at least I could track the guy down. because some one he knows does not like him and will turn him in for 50 bucks. I recovered a stolen honda 350 for a friend a long time ago with out police involvment and It can be fun and fulfilling.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to check your local pawn shop.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I am sorry to hear about your lost. But to all of the C-Dory out there the only way to keep those low life thiefs is to try to out smart them! When my boat first came home before I ever try to load it with toys , my first thing was to install an alarm. It is a high quality alarm . It won't even let me lower the trailer hitch on my own truck without first disarming they alarm. Forget about trying to get inside the boat , or any where on the boat . Also all my equipments , gps ,vhf, radar screen, electric down riggers, radio AM FM CD are all mounted so you need about at least 15 to 1/2 hour to remove them even if you can figure how to? Gary SEARAM
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was concerned about theft when I installed by radar dome also. I located and found special stainless steel security bolts that need a special keyed allen key type wrench to undue and have a carriage bolt type head so you can't get a vise grip on them either. I also have double lock nuts on the inside so the house bolts would just turn if a thief came up with the right wrench. Oh, and by the way, the fasteners are metric to boot. The thinking was to make it secure, kind of like the wheel locks on cars. Some may say that this would do more damage to the boat in a ripoff. But, the dome and mount would be destroyed too. On the inside I have a stainless steel 18" x 24" sheet laminated with 5200 to the underside of the house top. The bolts go through the sheet and the load is very well distributed as well. They would have to rip the house top off to get my dome.

I don't know what a camera would be good for other than getting a picture of the thief to hang on my wall. I also wouldn't want to confront a guy who might be preparred to shoot back or who is carrying a knife. The police might help depending on how busy they are. In NY this can be a half hour depending on which police department has jurisdiction.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Good Luck,

Pete in NY
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete-

Lots of good ideas!

Many of our members have their domes mounted on radar arches which places both sides of the bolts on the outside instead of having the lower set inside the cabin.

Either way, more difficiult for the thief is better, but probably not 100% secure, espeially if the location is more remote and the time not too limited.

I've thought about putting a more secure set of locks on the cabin door before, but stopped when I thought it would just make them break the door apart into an unrepairable mess.

I've never had a break in, thank goodness. Our marina seems to be very safe, with security patrols, etc.

This points out the necessity of having insurance policies that include theft. Check your boat and homeowner's poilicies! Most require purchase receipts and/or photographs of the gear to reimburse you and have a dollar limit as well. Most of us have thousands of dollars of electronic, fishing, and other gear aboard that can be loaded up by a thief quite easily.

This is often a neglected area by the owner (me included) until it's too late!!!

Maybe we need a whole thread about SECURITY DEVICES, THEFT PREVENTION, AND BOAT CONTENTS INSURANCE COVERAGE ???

An especially good, relevant, and timely content for the slow winter months with time on our hands!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many facets to security. Alarms, lights and motion detectors might be good ideas, but I'd concentrate more on removing the temptation.

If possible, expensive electronics should be disconnected, and brought indoors.

Also, purchasing a boat cover does wonders for reducing the "look at me" problem associated with a nice boat, with goodies hanging all over it. And you get the additional benefit of more protection from the elements.

Take a look at this pic - it looks far less inviting than this one, no?

And if you combine a cover with a remote alarm and IR motion sensor underneath, false alarms would pretty much be nil - nothing would set it off unless it happened under the cover.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good replys and ideas. I am insured for the thief of the dome but I don't care, I hate thieves and want to catch the sobs. I work way to hard driving a mixer to have my stuff stolen. in washington state we have the highest car thief numbers in the country, why? because our legal system does not give out jail time until you have been busted 8 times. and minors almost never get jail time. If thats the case with car thief then why would the a-holes even be worried about stealing my stuff. The police did not even bother finger printing the boat yet.

dodge ram can you send me the info on the alarm you have? I will be getting a alarm, camera, hot wire on the fence, siren, and I have no problems with "confronting" some one on my property, I am the guy with the knife and gun. I almost feel trapped in my home. If I go to work today will my stuff be here when i get back? its really pissing me off.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Sorry about your loss. Will talk at the boat show/gathering. Maybe my time in and around the EOD guys could come in handy....if you have no children or nosey neighbors.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being figuring how to link a motion sensor to a electric switch hooked up to the trigger on my 22 pistol with a silencer...
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a bullet in his butt, then he would be the victim and you would be in jail. Than he would sue you and with today's juries he would own your house and the C-Dory. He would be fishing and you would be sitting behind bars.

C-Otter
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but if you missed his butt and hit him in the head, he wouldn't sue you, or get your C-Dory and you'd feel a lot better in jail...

So wouold I... (feel better that is....) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Charlie
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you kill him be sure to drag him into the house.

C-Otter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: