hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the work was done with the boat on the water. I had to leave it there for the week. They (MartyK) mostly did all the engineering. They swapped out each section, confirming if it worked or not, and when they got done it was done right.

Rodger's Marina in Portland, OR on the Columbia River.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what kind of hydraulic Steering I have on my 2001 22 Cruiser. I have not been able to see any kind of identifying information on any of the parts except on the wheel mechanism which has Teleflex.

here is a picture of my Ram

I would like to install the Ev-100 system but I need to get hose/connectors etc. for the job

Thanks

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cable steering not hydraulic.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same helm/steering. As Jody says, it is cable steering. Check out "Teleflex No Feeback" for the type.

I am likely going to switch to hydraulic (I'm sure it will be fun to wrangle that beast of a cable out of the boat!). Reasons being that the cable tires me out after a couple of hours, and also it seems easier to get a modern autopilot with the hydraulic steering.

PS: Is that the bottom of a Yamaha F80 I see? If so, I bet our boats might be siblings from the same dealer (Three Rivers Marine, Crystal River, FL). Seems they sold a lot of 22's in the late 90's and early 2000's, and were putting on Yamaha engines (usually the F80) when most C-Dorys were getting Hondas. Do you have the nifty custom door/hatch screens and window covers from JP Canvas? Smile
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the feedback

I was hoping my upgrade of my autopilot would be easy, I always believed Murphy was an optimist!

I know the boat was purchased first in California but my owners manual says Kent Washington. Rick & Donna put in all the window coverings and bug proofing but not sure if they did the work themselves.

I am wondering how big a deal it would be to convert to hydraulic or is there a great autopilot solution for a cable system out there?
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluechablis wrote:

I know the boat was purchased first in California but my owners manual says Kent Washington.

Ah, okay, well just a guess on my part - looked a lot like mine Smile They were all built in Kent then, I believe, so that would explain that part of it.

Bluechablis wrote:
I am wondering how big a deal it would be to convert to hydraulic or is there a great autopilot solution for a cable system out there?

I don't know all the ins and outs, and haven't done it (yet), but I have been reading up on it a bit. It seems like the hardest part about changing over will be getting the existing steering cable out. Not that it's impossible, but it's stiff and - at least on my boat - intermingled with the wiring as it runs along under the starboard gunwale. There was a thread on the merits of Baystar vs. Sea Star not too long ago, and as a result I'm going to go with the Baystar. Les from EQ chimed in to say that the Baystar has gone from being somewhat of a weaker "little brother" system to having "beef" much close to that of the Sea Star, but with a few fitment advantages (and less cost). They both sound good though. There are also varying options for tilt wheel, recessed wheel, angled wheel with the two systems.

I'm pretty sold on switching, so have not researched the auto pilot situation. I'm under the impression (possibly mistaken) that it would require some additional "black box" type stuff to get a modern autopilot to work with cable steering (if it even could). I have an older Sportpilot (which is meant to go with cable steering), but I don't believe it is made any longer.

Maybe some who have done it will tell us more about the conversion.

Sunbeam
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for you insight Sunbeam. It is a Sportspilot that has given up the ghost on my boat, I repaired it once but it promptly failed worse than before.

I am convinced that I need a autopilot for safety and the occasional walkabout so I will definitely do some more research on the site and bite the bullet.

With your handy skill-set and knack for documentation I am hoping you will do yours first so I can learn what not to do Smile
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluechablis wrote:
I am hoping you will do yours first so I can learn what not to do Smile

Ha! Sorry, at the moment but I'm busy measuring ten thousand times before drilling a huge hole in the foredeck Shocked (windlass). So it will be awhile before I get a chance to make any mistakes on the steering. I guess you'll have to go ahead and then post the "how to" for me Very Happy

Too bad I'm not in California right now - we could egg each other on (and something tells me getting the cable out might go easier with two people).
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to have the work done professionally so I had the cable steering replaced with Baystar and I got the Simrad Nss7 EVO2 Combo with the Simrad Autopilot System. I must say it was all worth it 200%. Holding course with the cable I was always correcting, now you just place the wheel where you want and that is pretty much it. The new electronics and interface with the autopilot is a great improvement as well, love the touchscreen.

I posted a little video of my Sea Trial for those who might be interested

http://youtu.be/D79LeLRzr70?list=UUdC6bfTm9NBItsr_gU5ZaRw

Any of you Southern California C-Brats have any suggestions for a good boatyard/boat mechanic/trailer etc.. in the area. I had the steering done at Tom Smith Marine in Long Beach and while he did a good job I had some other problems and I don't think I will go back there.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
something tells me getting the cable out might go easier with two people.

Years ago TyBoo did that operation and discovered the easy solution was to cut the old cable in sections to remove it.

Probably used a pneumatic or electric cut-off wheel, but I don't exactly remember.

Be sure to put down some canvas to catch the shards if you use that method.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: me too! Reply with quote

Dear old Dad, who started learning about boats around the time I showed up, and who handed me the helm and never took it back when I was about 6 years old just offered to purchase a Baystar system for our CD22 because we have our first kid on the way, and we don't need the kid, or the admiral battling cable (notice, no concern that I battle cable!) to steer the boat.

This puts me into the world of AP for the first time ever (on my own boat, work boats have it).

Although it is a new product, I think the choice for me is going to be the new Lowrance Outboard Pilot. I just got a new HDS7Gen2 (an HDS Gen2 unit is required), and with that unit, can add AP for $999 (less if you shop around a little). I'm wary of being an early adopter, but I really like Lowrance's new gear, much moreso than more expensive new gear from Garmin and Furuno I've had installed on work boats in the last year and a half.

It's hard to beat at this price point, and seem like the ideal setup for a CD.

It's also notable that they offer an AP for cable steer systems, however it is substantially more expensive ($1,899) such that it would be less expensive to add hydraulic steering and purchase the hydraulic model.

Has anyone been able to look over one of these systems? They were supposed to release in November 2014, but now are saying January 2015. I live about 100 miles outside the boonies, and rarely, if ever get to boat shows or other such events where new gear is shown off.

There must be some working prototypes out there because youtube already has videos of people using the gear. Perhaps they sold out of their first manufacturing run?

I would be very grateful if anyone had any experience with the Lowrance Outboard Pilot to share before I Break Out Another Thousand.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted years ago.. Did all the work myself... Used a Baystar helm and had new hoses made up at a local hydraulic shop...(did not like the light weight hoses supplied with the kit)... then the helm started to leak.... and I replaced it with a Seastar helm...and that works fine now...

I am using a Raymarine Sport pilot plus.... but it will not interface with my new Raymarine C120 (second generation).. so I am thinking of going to a Raymarine Hydraulic pump and controller... that will interface using NEMA.
Sportpilot still works, but just independently.

Joel
SEA3PO
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucket List came with updated Lowrance 2014 electronics and hydraulic steering. I intend to add the Lowrance AP unit in the next few months.I will be interested in how it all goes for the rest of you. I understand it needs about 4 hours of installation.
Jimmylee

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: She's a Keeper
Photos: Jimmylee (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a timely post for me as I have been spending a good bit of time researching auto pilots. My research is pointing me towards the Comnav 1420 autopilot. It seems to be a relatively simple system that will control my main motor (115 etech). I fish quite a bit and I will tie my kicker to the main when trolling, and then I can use autopilot on the main when cruising. In talking with Jerry at San Juan electronics up here in Bellingham he has told me a large number of the commercial fishing fleet (at least the smaller boats) use this system and it has reputation as being a reliable system. I will be using this system just as a way to maintain heading, which it does via a fluxgate compass. I believe the system will work well at slow trolling speeds.

My question to the group is anyone out there using this system??? I would love to hear some more real world experiences with this unit before I take the plunge😊.

Thanks in advance.

Chip
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
Bucket List came with updated Lowrance 2014 electronics and hydraulic steering. I intend to add the Lowrance AP unit in the next few months.I will be interested in how it all goes for the rest of you. I understand it needs about 4 hours of installation.

I'll be very interested in how this goes. I'm one step behind you and about to pull the cable in favor of a baystar system (although I'm thinking seriously about getting the seastar system for added burliness). Please post your experiences with the Outboard Pilot.

Have you any idea when it will be available? It was originally to be released in November, and I saw info passed around on other message boards that it was expected in January, however Lowrance is only saying "Available Soon."

Maybe there are folks on here who have had a chance to preview? There are Lowrance reps on youtube using the gear now, which might suggest some prototype availability to industry people?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: