localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our favorites is Shallow Bay on Sucia. There are buoys for a small fee or one can drop anchor. It gets crowded on summer days, but we have never had a problem finding a spot. The sunsets are gorgeous, you get the warm afternoon sun and there is hiking on the island.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 - Friday Harbor to Reid Island

Do you mean Reid Harbor in Stuart island? Or have you been keeping a island all to your self?

Jim gives great advice on places to go. Consider also Deer harbor. Nice, small and quiet. Good place to just hang out. We also like James island. Small dock in the west side of the island. If you tie up there before sunset and then walk over the saddle ( 100yards). You get a great view of the Cascades as the sun sets and the mountains turn red and pink from the glow. Look east after dark you can see all the lights of Anacortes and Bellingham as the fully lite ferry goes by. Its really neat.

You did not say what your interest are other then boating? Are you interested in hiking, shopping, fishing, wildlife, photograph, eating?? Want to take a kayak tour for the morning? You can stay in Friday harbor and rent scooters and see all of san juan island in a day. You make want to take a Whale tour to insure you see whales.

I like to stop at Blakely marinea gas dock for gas and for Ice cream. Their grass lawn over looking the entrance to peavine pass and a view up east sound is one of the more relaxing spots in the islands. Did I mention they have great ice cream?? Great spot for a break.

Oh and while I'm thinking of food. We ate this weekend at the cask and schooner. We had not eaten there in a long time. The space has changed hands several times since we ate there last and the last time was not good. Food was typical bar fare and the noise was awful ( i have gotten old). Well after a long day fishing Susan wanted to just go get something. I have to say that it was one of the better meals I have had in a long time. I ordered the baked chicken on the premise that you cant screw that up to much. Well it was fantastic and the mashed potatoes were even better. Susan ordered the shepherds pie , which I have given up on ordering anywhere. I love a good pot pie out of the microwave but I can stay home for that, and could not have been happier. I had several bites before getting the fork to the hand. Well worth the visit and most likely the best food in Friday harbor.

Is it lunch yet??

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly boating/cruising. However, I will have our small fold up bikes, probably to ride around Friday Harbor. Easier (lazy) hikes would be good. I haven't looked at the charts yet, but I'm leaning towards maybe basing out of Friday Harbor. I need to look into costs for docking there and reservations. Sounds like I can probably make it to Friday Harbor easily in one leg, and then do day trips from there. At least if I read the comments here right. Wink Seeing the whales would be great. I'm mostly just into seeing the scenery and doing it with my own boat, instead of chartering. I don't have a dingy. (Well, I have a very small raft that I got free some time ago for putting my 2 hours in listening to a timeshare presentation. Smile So really kind of need land access with my boat. Either by beaching or docking. Colby
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Colby,
the folks at the Friday Harbor marina are VERY accommodating and I'm sure you'll find room. they also have showers. (a big plus in our book). I dont see why you couldn't venture from FH as your headquarters to any of the other locations. you might find dock space at Jones Island for the day and the hike is very lazy. Smile

you'll notice in the album our dinghy of choice was a very inexpensive inflatable that we actually picked up with boat in tow, on our way to the san juans. luckily no leaks Smile ha.

I'm jealous of your trip. maybe I'll be up there one of the days you are.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin, just looked at Hemingways album (But the boat name shows C-Minor...I'm confused. Smile. Not sure my little raft is too much different from yours. Maybe a bit smaller in length. Wink I keep it on the boat for an emergency...or in the rare case to just play with it.... maybe I'll have to blow it up and put it on the roof 0nce I get there, after seeing how it will work with both my wife and I. I haven't used it in a while, and we are both a little heavier than we used to be. Wink I'm assuming it won't affect the radar, being all vinyl or whatever cheap rafts are made out of. Colby
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Dustin, just looked at Hemingways album (But the boat name shows C-Minor...I'm confused. Smile. Not sure my little raft is too much different from yours. Maybe a bit smaller in length. Wink I keep it on the boat for an emergency...or in the rare case to just play with it.... maybe I'll have to blow it up and put it on the roof 0nce I get there, after seeing how it will work with both my wife and I. I haven't used it in a while, and we are both a little heavier than we used to be. Wink I'm assuming it won't affect the radar, being all vinyl or whatever cheap rafts are made out of. Colby

I felt a little uneasy moving from boat to raft for the first time but it sure opened up some doors for us. there are a lot of islands in the south sound that we plan to visit and i know they dont have docks. I have not yet been brave enough to beach my boat, although I know some do. I didn't even do that with an aluminum hull.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well that brings up another item then. Beaching boats in the San Juan Islands. I've beached my boat in many places here in the midwest. But we don't have tides. (Only currents on the Mississippi River. Smile And usually only on sandy shorelines, or those with very small pebbles. To be honest, I can't remember what kind of shoreline the San Juans have. Is beaching possible? If I did use my little "dingy", it would be with a small paddle. Not something I would want to do with much of a current. What about anchoring in very shallow water and wading in? I suspect tides don't allow that. Colby
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tides here 6-10'+ so wading ashore or beaching could leave you waiting until the next tide. One can beach in several spots but substantial care is needed. Often there are rocks just under the surface so go slow! Most dinghies here have two oars or a small motor, there is enough current in many places to overpower just a single paddle. Just fyi.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry's spot on. I can remember a few times even with two oars...I had trouble making headway.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Day 4 - Friday Harbor to Reid Island

Do you mean Reid Harbor in Stuart island? Or have you been keeping a island all to your self?

Thanks for keeping me honest, Tom. Yes, I meant Reid Harbor on Stuart Island (had mentioned it in an earlier post). Sorry for any confusion.

I see people riding bikes in Friday Harbor, but it is a steep uphill any direction from the marina. If you are into "lazy hikes", you better be in good shape or have really low gears for bicycling around Friday Harbor.

Beaching really isn't a safe option (IMHO) in most places in the San Juans. Fortunately, there are docks available at many of the places already mentioned (space available). There are times we like to get away and just anchor out, without the desire for going ashore. Since this is a relatively short visit, part of the charm of the San Juans, besides the gorgeous scenery, is the unique character of the different islands. Dock space at the marine parks on Stuart Island and Jones Island is very limited... a nice surprise when it is available, but not something you can count on during the summer. Timing.

Lots of options. We'll be looking forward to hearing about your choices. Enjoy!

Best wishes,
Jim B.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm tentatively looking at. A few nights at Lake Coeur d'Alene on the way out, then launching at Bellingham. Head out to Friday Harbor staying 6 nights and doing day trips out of there to the places you have all suggested. Would we be wise to head out skirting around south side of Blakely Island, then coming home through Obstruction Pass? I still haven't looked at the charts yet, but saw someone mentioned this.

Bikes are West Marine's port runner fold ups. Not geared very low, and I vaguely remember Friday Harbor as hilly now that you mention it. Are there any other places these bikes would come in handy, or should I just leave them back at the car saving space on the boat?

Sounds like my little dinghy won't be of much use either, so we'll just plan on docks to hike. Does it help to get to those islands early? (Or are folks allowed to tie up over night on them?)

Colby
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of the islands, Jones, Sucia, Matia, James, stewart, etc. are WA state marine parks and have docks available up to 3 days for a small fee. Most docks are 4-6 boat docks with a small dinghy dock too. Using Friday Harbor as a base puts you in a good location. Getting there early (but not too early, leave time for folks to leave,) is a good idea. From Bellingham you may want to try Sucia or Matia on the way. It would be a little out of your way to Friday Harbor but if there is room to dock both are worth time.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a few of you here have recommended the marina at Bellingham, I was just wondering how many have used the Port of Ancortes Cap Sante Marina? Looking at it's website, it looks like it could provide an acceptable place to launch also with trailer storage. I don't mind paying the $44+tax sling fee to keep my fresh water trailer....fresh.... Smile This location would be somewhat closer to my brothers home and to the SEA airport. Colby
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Cap will also charge for the parking. But its worth it. Here is me on the Cap sling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0hKp7f-eA

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video. So how do they get the straps under and back out while the boat is on the trailer? Is their parking pretty safe. Think I'll check into costs. If it's reasonable, this location really would work a little better for me... I think.... I've got to also get some different charts. The one I have is a chart book, West Marine's San Juan Islands. It's a little too detailed and I'd like to have one large chart to overall plan a route, before using my chart book for more detail. Any recommendations before I buy anything? Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: