SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same speakers from Amazon. I have mine attached with the industrial strength velcro from Costco. The cabin top is not flat so on one side the velcro peices did not make contact everywhere. I stuck a male/female peice back to back and used it to between the peices on the top and speaker. I am in the same heatwave and so far they are holding up.
Steve
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the MR 1515 from broken leg Dave. Also 6.5 " speakers for under $200. I-pod jacks in through aux. Has wired remote, should come in handy at the helm with a little velcro. I am in the process of installing - pics to come.

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufacture/Boss_Audio/MR1515B.htm

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do for an anteanna?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of installing the stereo system on a C-25 (along with a few other things) and offer the following comments:
1. Get any brand you like for a receiver, but make sure it plays MP-3. You can rip a bunch of music CD on your PC and put 200 songs on a single CD. That'll play forever and will not get old. There is free software which will do this. No more changer. You can also set up various MP3 CDs with different music on them, depending on the company.
2. I got the aforementioned speakers and when I went to hang them in the back of the cabin, they were too big. Got some small boxes from Defender. 4"x6"x6" is a good size. If anyone wants the L2000 I'll bring them to San Diego.
3. Looking at the overhead in the C-25 cabin, where the hole for the radio and antenna comes through, that sucker is thick enough to use 1/2" screws, and that's the way to mount them.
4. Antenna splitters work great. Remember to get one that blocks VHF transmissions from the stereo.

Boris
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a short "flex" antenna and it is horizantal on the electronics shelf.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are very happy with our setup. The receiver is AM/FM/CD, does not play MP3s, but has an auxiliary input for the iPod. Got it at Schucks Auto Parts. The auxiliary input was the deciding factor when I was looking at receivers - an amazingly large percentage of them don't have one. The antenna is a short wire mouted horizontally on the back of the electronics shelf, works great. The speakers are the Amazon jobbies, very inexpensive, quite good sound quality. On a 25, you can actually get them far enough apart for a little channel separation too. You can see where it is all mounted in this pic:

As for tunes, there are of course 1200 or so on my iPod mini, and we have a bunch of CDs in a soft case that lives in the compartment on the left in the electronics shelf (unless David built your electronics shelf, you don't have one) mostly our own mixes burned on the computer.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took a while but my stereo's in and it sounds great. The Audio Source speakers(LS 100s) that are so popular here presented a mounting obstacle but are now tucked up in the corners where they clear your head, yet rotate through 90 degrees +. Best of all, no holes needed to be drilled. Stereo is a Walmart special. Full-featured but cheap($79.8Cool. Plays MP3s, has USB port, SD media slot, accepts I-Pod, and sports 45watts/channel. It sits in a PolyPlanar enclosure atop the forward entry. No holes there either. Total damage just over $200.00. I posted some photos in Adeline's album for those who'd like to look. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album205&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be concerned about impedance mismatch with the VHF out put being 4 or 8 ohms plus enough power to over drive the input circuits. Not sure about MP3 input impedance, but looking at a couple of sets appear to be 5 to 10K ohm impedence? The input will have to be switched from CD's FM etc.

I just use sparated small speakers for the VHF radios.

For sterio speakers etc, I have used a wooden block (can be teak or can be white wood etc) I grind off the gel coat in a relitively small areas and use 5 minute JB Weld or five minute West Systems epoxy. The gel coat/and spackle coat in the inside do not give quite as good adhereance as the raw glass underneath. I used JB weld for the turn buttons on the mesh clothing bags on the sides of the bunks, also used wooden blocks for fans and other fittings I wanted to put in areas where you cannot drill a deep hole.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would put a small AM/FM/CD on my top shelf. Terri nixed that idea. She said when we go out it is to get away and that means from the radio also. I think she is afraid I will tune to talk radio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: