Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchor Buddy - interesting.

Some retailers claim one of its benefits is to be able to "anchor straight down". This is lunacy. Anchoring "straight down" is a good way to drift off into the night.

As a (temporary) shore landing tool, yes, as a stand alone anchoring tool, no.

The 4,000 max capacity (presumably working load and not breaking strength) is pretty close to a 22' C-Dory's operating weight.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco-

To my knowledge, in practice the Anchor Buddy is used mostly in freshwater lakes for day use and for overnight camping, often with someone aboard.

You won't find Dusty spending the night on the hook in Deception Pass with the device!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
You won't find Dusty spending the night on the hook in Deception Pass with the device!

Well, the first part of the ride would be interesting... Ugh. Shocked I wonder if the Anchor Buddy would make any noise as it stretched well beyond its chemo-molecular limits, just short of exploding into a million orthodontic rubber bands. Perhaps a low, sad moaning... or maybe a brief tone similar to a short segment from the Spinners' "Rubberband Man"?

I dunno - even for lake anchoring, so long as one is using a fluked anchor, some rode and angle are needed - especially if there is any wind...
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco, Jeff/Julie, as per the instructions the anchor buddy line is used in tandem with the regular anchor line. For simplicity we use it with a 20# river anchor. We move about to different swimming areas and find it much easier and faster to drop the river anchor off the stern and then walk the loose line end up to the bow cleat. We only use the bow anchor for overnight stays in currents or tidal areas. The anchor buddy is fine for overnighting on lakes.

One end of the anchor buddy is attatched to the anchor along side the regular anchor line. the anchor buddy line is then stretched to about max. You then tie a loop knot in the original anchor line. The anchor buddy comes with a snap link that goes in the loop. This loop acts as a limiter and a safety. When the anchor buddy stretches to max length the original anchor rope then draws tight to carry the load preventing the anchor buddy from snapping. If your anchor buddy was to break the original anchor rope would still hold the boat once the slack line went tight. The anchor buddy basically just pulls up slack towards the anchor. If you have the swim platform the anchor buddy will allow you to step from platform to beach in most instances. We have two swimming dogs so we anchor often. This thing really works great and saves the hull from the beach.

Inside the protective nylon sheath is just a loooong peice of rubber surgical tubing just like on a sling-shot. It isn't that large of diameter. The only question is how long will that rubber hold up? Mine shows some cracks after two years. If I can find the tubing I think I will try to thread two strands inside for added strength.

Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Thanks for your post. When we did this last summer we used it just like you said. We anchored out and then used the anchor buddy to pull our boat into shore and then "sling shot" it back out while we were on the beach picnicking. It worked really well.

Julie
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an anchor buddy and used it several times last summer on the west coast of vancouver island. We anchored off beaches, sometimes pointing into the wind and it worked fine. I actually think they at times act just like the rubber snubber you would use trout or tuna fishing, and help to keep the anchor from shifting. I wouldn't be afraid to use it overnight, as long as I felt like I got a good set on the anchor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: