Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possibilities that would needs to be confirmed for towing 4-down:

Nissan Pathfinder - up to 7000 towing
Volvo XC90 - up to 5000 towing
Honda Ridgeline - up to 5000lbs towing and more SUV like than normal trucks
Audi Q7 - up to 6600lbs towing
VW Toureg - up to 7700lbs towing

There may be some manuals for these online to look up the 4 down capability.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse

Last edited by Aurelia on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts--don't want a "rough rider..."--but will drive the Cherokee anyway. The FJ Cruiser by Toyota is not towable 4 down. Toyota is negative on four down towing--but they make some great SUV vehicles--and I would love to had one which would tow 4 down...but only some of their light cars are towable. My daughter has a Toyota SUV and I love it--but not towable 4 down.

There is a PDF which lists the 2011 vehicles which are towable 4 down:
http://towingworld.com/pdfs/DinghyGuide2011.pdf This is the same list which used to be under motor home magazine. Probably is affiliated with them. But none of the vehicles listed by Aurelia are towable 4 down--too bad, because some would be great. There is always the option of Remco pumps or axle disconnect. But I rather not go that route--as I have in the past. Four wheel drive with a neutral case is easier, and better for boat hauling.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford Flex is rated up to 4500lbs and can be towed flat. I know they are very roomy and could hold a big load of boat gear.
G Gallagher

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Salty
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,.... Towing-such a subject. Just bougt a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 and it does tow great. Comes with tow mirrors . Also comes with poor gas mileage about 11-13 mpg. Oh, ouch!!! So I seem to be using my daily driver a bit more- It is a 1947 Buick special- about 15 miles to the gallon.

Guess that I am a big supporter of the oil industry, unfortunately.

I miss the economy of my old C-Dory, but am really enjoying the stability and ride of my new ride, the Hewescraft. With a 225 hp engine , lots of speed,lots of power, lots of fuel. It is a much more heavy boat loaded on trailer probably about 7800 lbs. Thus the new bigger truck

Yankee1

State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't own a C-Dory (yet) I must chime in here because we just bought a great vehicle for trips & for towing my Boston Whaler Montauk.

I had looked at the 2007 - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel option for a couple of years and told myself "some day". Well we got one last fall with just under 100K miles and absolutely love it. The 3.0 CRD diesel is a Mercedes diesel and without towing, we get right at 20 mpg. This thing is powerful and has almost as much torque as my 6.0L Silverado 2500HD. The diesel option in these vehicles was only availble those two years and unfortunately, Chrysler decided to stop offering that engine. I wish they'd bring it back.

The Grand Cherokee is not made to pull (or more importantly STOP) as heavy of a trailer as the 3/4 ton trucks but for towing for reasonable sized trailers, it has no problem especially with the diesel.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankee1 wrote:
The diesel option in these vehicles was only availble those two years and unfortunately, Chrysler decided to stop offering that engine. I wish they'd bring it back.

I wonder if the end of the Jeep diesel run was related to the divorce of Daimler/Chrysler. I think Daimler sold Chrysler in 2007 (2008 model year) for a fraction of what they paid. That meant no more easy access to compact diesels and parts bins!
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final resolution--after nearly a month of looking and lots of reading. Although we have towed the C Dory 22, with the Honda Pilot (capacity 4500 lbs in a boat due to less wind resistance and lower tongue weight), our vehicle was getting close to 10 years old, and we wanted something with a bit more room in back--due to a lot of towing planed in the next few years.

We were tempted by the Chevy Traverse, GM Acadia, Buick Enclave lineup. Great room in back, decent appointments, and styling. But were concerned that even though it was rated for 5200 lbs--that there was not enough reserve power for our long trips.

The biggest problem was finding a vehicle with enough room for me to lie down when under way, as well as excess towing capacity, and to be dinghy towed behind the RV.

We finally decided on a Yukon XL (same as Chevy Suburban), which has a number of features for towing, as well as a lot of space (not as much as the old Excursion)--and were finally able to find one with the two speed and neutral transfer case (allowing towing 4 down), cloth seats, and second row bench seat (as rare as hens teeth) It has 382 ft lbs of torque vs the 253 ft lbs of torque of the Traverse (almost 50% more torque), plus on a full 1/2 ton chassis.
I know I am going to pay some in fuel economy in the around the town, but that may be the price of a good road vehicle.

The other down side, is that Marie spotted a Cadillac SRX at the dealer, and fair is fair--so I probably will have to spring for one of those for her...

Again thanks for all of the suggestions.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The other down side, is that Marie spotted a Cadillac SRX at the dealer, and fair is fair--so I probably will have to spring for one of those for her..

Bob, don't you just hate that when that happens?.....one of my former work buddies planned an African Safari. The only way he could go was to take his wife on a Caribbean cruise. He is on the Caribbean cruise now and after he returns he works a few days and then heads to Africa.
(I actually, think he's kind of happy about his predicament.... Laughing )

C-Brat #16
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like our Suburban
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, now I REALLY feel guilty about having your TomCat AND the Excursion. Those two cars will cost you a lot more than I paid! That having been said, I won't sell them back.. Confused

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Charlie, I kept an extra set of keys for the Excursion--if its missing and there is a Yukon LX in your driveway, you will know where to look!
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I am not one that has an allegiance to one car brand over the other. However, I have had the experience of towing my 2004, 22 foot Cruiser, over the last eight years with four different vehicles. The first being a 1995 Ford F-150 with a 300 cubic inch six cylinder, 2 wheel drive. The second being a 200 Ford Explorer with a 4 liter V-6, four wheel drive, The third was a 2005 Toyota, Tacoma, four wheel drive. I now have a 2011 Ford F-150, four wheel drive with the Ecoboost engine. I estimate my yearly towing average to be in the neighborhood of 10-12,000 miles. I loved my Toyota and until I purchased my new Ford with the Ecoboost engine it was the best tow truck I have ever owned. However, having said, that the Tacoma cannot compare with my experience over the pst year towing with my 2011 Ford F-150 with the Ecoboost engine. It has tons of horsepower, low end torque, and outstanding gas mileage, Driving it conservatively, I have expereinced over 16 miles per galllon over a long haul of 250+ miles. Without boat , I always seem to get get over 20 mpg on the highway. Granted this was over Michigan flat land and at 60-65 miles per hour. Normal combined driving, without boat, averages between 16-18 mpg. The truck is a very comfortable ride, but if you don't want a truck it is my understanding that the 3.5 liter V-6 Ecoboost engine that's in my truck , or a very similar engine, will be offered in the 2013 Ford Explorer. Before you decide, I urge you to take a F-150, with the Ecoboost engine for a ride and see for yourself if this drive train will meet your needs.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollie,
Thanks for the information. It certainly sounds as if this is a great engine. We did look at the 2012 Ford Explorer yesterday--and for several reasons it was not suitable (size of bed and not being able to be towed 4 down). It is possible that Ford will make a 4 WD/neutral case in the Explorer which is towable, but apparently they do not now. Many of the vehicles have gone to all wheel drive, with no two speed or neutral transfer case.

One of the criteria was that I could lie down on the back when Marie was driving---and even the Tahoe and Yukon did not have enough room--we had to go to the longer length because of the way that seats fold down these days.....convenience/ vs function! I tried lying cross wise in the crew cab pickups--not enough room.

The deal is done and we should get the truck the first of the week.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees-
01 Limited - 4.7 engine 6500 lb tow capacity
09 Overland - 5.7 engine 7500 lb tow capacity

The Limited handles the boat ok.
The Overland-- "wow" Hardly felt the boat behind us.

Both are capable of being towed behind our motorhome.

We love the Jeeps for their dual purpose capabilities of towing and being towed.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: