The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Balsa core problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was ambitious enough to tackle a complete take-down of a small runabout (totally gutting it out from the floor construction to the transom) I found the foam (yes, foam!) to be totally waterloged Exclamation Exclamation Thumbs Down
I don't believe it when they say stuff like "foam is impervious to water" all you need to do is have it freeze, and water (ice) will eventually force its way into what ever material it is, given enough freezings and time.
I opt C-Dory stick with good old wood Thumbs Up Love .

Now, about the brackets on the floor: I had issues with that for several years (in the cabin) and finally put a stop to it by making larger brackets, and sealing the brackets to the glass with some good marine sealant. No more brackets coming loose since! Maybe I'll post some pix of mine when I get back... gotta go now ... Wink
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"found the foam (yes, foam!) to be totally waterloged" -- as much as I love Whalers (still have a 21 & 13) they have a propensity to get waterlogged foam in the hull/transom curvature. Nothing is perfect.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 21 Whaler had so much water in the foam inner core that it took a couple of months and $$$ to fix. One HEAVY boat.

Dusty

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boatguy wrote:
We are looking at changing how the fuel tanks are anchored in the 22.

Jeff -

We were wondering what you guys came up with for this fix?

I agree with you about the limited damage any water intrusion may cause. My 1987 CD22 had almost all the screws pulled out, and I found the wet balsa to be confined to a very small radius around the individual holes. It seems to me that one small bottle of Git-Rot epoxy was enough to fill all the voids after hogging the wet wood out.

Nevertheless, it should be fixed if for no other reason than alleviating the stress it causes the boat owner.

Thanks,

Mike
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a small crack in the rear deck of my 81' 22 classic this spring. This boat as far as I know has been in Alaska for all of its life. The glass and core was wet in about a 4-5" area. I firstly ground the gelcoat away from the bad area away until I was away about 2" out from the visible damaged area. I placed a heat light on it for a week to dry it out and than ground the glass that was damaged. I used a product that is called fiberfiller, which is basically strands of fiberglass, and resin to fill the the hole. I than applied a thin layer of glass over the whole thing and applied 2 layers of gelcoat. At the start I was really upset about finding the damage but a good friend told me "Its not the end of the world, its part of being a boat owner". What good encouraging words, don't be quick to judgement, these are fine vessels with unique problems and common problems. However the vessel itself is diamond in the rough.
Shaun

C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterball.
I have an 1985 Angler which has some Balsacore in the transon. The water got in from the Two drain holes, I removed the brass thru-hulls and took about a coffee can of mush (basa-core) out of each hole. I than cut a larger round hole on the inside higher up and run a vacuum cleaner on blow for a couple days to dry it out.

I than filled the voids by pouring resin with a filler to fill the voids. I than redrilled the one inch drain holes and installed new brass thru-hauls, they will never leak again.

You may want to check your's. May be the source of your problem?

We have a C-Dory dealer in town who has sold C-Dory's for 25 years and he tells me that their is no balsa-core in the bottom or the deck of the early C-Dory's, only resin impregnated marine plywood covered with fiberglass.

I have drilled holes in the forward deck and it is solid plywood . If your thru-hulls are leaking, water could migrate between the fiber-glass and plywood,then freeze and pop the fiberglass.

Very easy to remove the thru-haul and check.

Jack on C-Otter.
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice I'll have to check the drain plug out to see if there is any water penetration there. BTW I have only one drain plug, did they change to two plugs at some point? Are you talking about the drain holes from the fuel tank area? The boat was repainted 3years ago and I'm guessing any damage there would have been noticed at that time. The damage to the deck was what appeared to be a crack maybe caused from a fishing weight that dropped on deck? At any rate the glass aft of it wasn't damaged and in good shape. Fairly certain I caught it before it could do much damage.
Shaun
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterball.
My 1985 has two thru-hulls, Port and Starboard in the corners of the transon. I have to install two plugs before launch. Only forgot once ,however it was still on the trailer.

My son-in-law is in the wood flooring busness and I used his moisture-meter on the transon to find the water. Jack on Sea Otter.
alg

City/Region: Drummond WI & Citrus Hills, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: SHALJE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Gas tank security Reply with quote

"SHALJE" had the problem of loose floor cleats on the side of the bulging starboard tank. Factory sent a new tank which dealer reinstalled. One season and the new tank also bulged and tore the screws out.
I was concerned with the holes in the bottom. The screws on the non bulging port tank cleats were also coming loose. After talking with the dealer and the factory a new tank was sent and redesign took place. I took out all cleats and found some water and flaky balsa. I opened all holes to 1/4" and used compressed air and time to dry them out. All holes were filled with an epoxy called Git-Rot (West Marine).
To support the tanks I used poplar 1X4s. The poplar is hard, strong, and not too heavy. Also less expensive than oak. 2 coats of spar urethane were applied to all wood.
The mainstay of the system is a piece that runs across the bottom of the forward end of the tanks. The ends were cut and shaped to fit snugly between the gunwales behind the foam-filled sidewalls that I believe are unique to the CD19. This prevents forward tank movement. Because of the dished boat bottom water in the cockpit is not restricted from going to the bilge pump.
The original seaboard was reattached to this board and to where it was attached to the gunwale.
To prevent lateral movement poplar cleats extending to the bottom (to add support to the long crosspiece) were shaped to form a simple joint that holds two pieces of poplar extending to the transom. Another piece of poplar holds these pieces in place at the transom. Good support and easy disassembly were both important design considerations.
Everything is solidly in place and a water test will come soon. Don't see any reason to believe that it won't work.
The only drawback that I can see is the crosspiece restricting access to the area between the tanks. That piece, however will also keep things from sliding forward.
In the process the floor rings for the back curtain were removed and the holes treated the same as the cleat holes. Water and flaky balsa were found here, too. When the ring on the bottom of the port sidewall was removed. lots of water spewed out. Didn't fill those holes. Probably should open them up and create a drain.
Feel much better about the boat now that the floor is hole-free. It probably would have lasted long enough for an old guy like me but I'm hoping the sons and grandkids can enjoy her for years to come.
By the way, SHALJE is a 2003 CD 19. Bought her new in the spring of 2003.

Jeff M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now laminating the chocks to the deck of the 22. These chocks hold the fuel tanks firmly in place. The polyteak bulkhead is then fastened to the front side of the chock leaving a space between the bulkhead and the tank for any possible expansion. There are no longer any fasteners penetrating the deck. i will post some photos in the near future.

There was also mention of water intrusion around the drain plug and transom well drains on some older boats. We not only seal this area very well but we also changed to a high density foam core in the transom a little over a year ago. Balsa remains the core of choice for the hull of our C-Dory boats.

Thank you,

Jeff

Lawrence

City/Region: santa rosa ca.
Vessel Name: Squidward
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: SECURING TANKS MUST BE A BETTER WAY Reply with quote

HEY GARY

HOW DID YOUR FIX OF THE SCREW PROBLEM GO ON THE GAS TANKS?

LARRY
SQUIDWARD 2004 CD CRUISER
SANTA ROSA CA.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff.

That sounds like a good solution, and leaving the room for expansion makes a whole lot of sense.

Polyteak, huh? That a whole bunch more nautical sounding than StarBoard.

Pictures are always welcome, and in most cases, anticipated. You can post to any of the albums in the Tech Forum that you feel would be the best fit. Or, we can set up an album for your use. I also understand that one of the first 22s with the new retaining chocks is going to one of our taller members here, so we can bug him for pictures soon.

Now get back to work, because the Beer Guys are getting antsy.

Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from TyBoo:
Quote:

I also understand that one of the first 22s with the new retaining chocks is going to one of our taller members here, so we can bug him for pictures soon.

Well, there have been occasions that I have hit my head, but, other than those occasions I haven't been the butt of many tall jokes -- after all, I'm only 6'-1" and can usually negotiate under doorways and such. Even the weather seems similar up here!

I haven't worked with photos on my computer... yet. Don't have a digital camera yet either. But I do have one of those all-in-one copier-scanner-fax type critters on my desk. If I haven't already had too many of those prior occasions, I should be able to figure out a way to get some pics up.

Judging from this thread, it looks like the factory has done an outstanding job responding to customer feedback! And when you consider how busy they have been, Wow! Great to know that my new boat will be receiving the new setup.

Corwin
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right! If all goes according to plan, David will have a couple of days and we will have all of about four hours to put stuff on board for the Lopez weekend!

TyBoo wrote:
Thanks, Jeff.

Now get back to work, because the Beer Guys are getting antsy.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This balsa core concern is also my biggest problem with the boat. I was convinced that the factory and dealers knew how to deal with it, but I have not seen any effort anywhere on my boat to properly seal the core penetrations. It is well documented here and elsewhere the simple precaution of removing a doughnut of core and filling it with thickened epoxy will maintain the water and structural integrity of the core. Of the many penetrations I have investigated, even below the waterline, it was simply drilled and and given a shot of sealant, period. The foredeck cleat was overtightened and crushed the core. In the bilge area of the 25, the limber holes that connect the multple compartments are not sealed and show bare wood coring. This is a problem because the hatches will always leak and there is always water sloshing around the aluminum fuel tank. How the F can the factory let this pass? Jeff told me I should consider a camper top to shield the deck! The response that the inevitable water intrusions only rot the boat a little bit, do not make me happy about spending this much money on a prototype. As to letting the factory or the dealer effect repairs, no thanks. To say that I have had buyers remorse is an understatement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: