The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fla Keys in January
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Hi,
There are two ways most use to go thru the keys down to Key West . Outside (the Atlantic side) and staying inside of the reef by way of Hawk Channel or run the intercoastal waterway all they way. Not much different in terms of mileage. I have not done either but plan on leaving Pa. to come down March 18th. We have to get our trailer worked on for a day or so on the 21st. We plan to run down the intercoastal starting in the Key Largo/ Tavernier area from the Boatman’s Mangrove Marina 305 852-8380 We plan to go down to Marathon area anchor near Boot Key Harbor the first night. Then to Bahia Honda Key which is beautiful and spend another night and then up thru the Spanish Keys anchor overnight again and then on to Key West. In Key West we plan to stay at the Key West City Marina at Garrison Bight 305 809 3981. Mooring per night 16.90 I think 278 per month or Transient docking is 1.90 per foot for transient’s. Bathrooms showers coin operated laundry. There are lots of places to anchor out. I’ve been in Key West before but never in my boat. If you get a chance have breakfast some morning at a place called Blue Heaven it was always good and it’s unique. For dinner I wouldn’t miss a place called 7 Fish. Loads to see and do. Mallory Pier for a sunset is a must. Have a couple Rum Runner’s over at the Schooner’s Wharf Bar were all the big sailboats are tied up It’s a fun place live music at night. The tarpon are swimming right around the docks. Have Fun! CoolSmile
D.D.

Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way down if you get a chance to stop at No-Name key, hit the N0-Name pub for the best pizza made. No-Name is by Deer Key. Also Blue Heaven is good at any meal and if their key lime is not the best you have put in your mouth I would be about ready to mail you a refund.(ha) Mel Fisher's is a must to see in Key West.
Ron

Will-C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

miafun,
The one thing down there I have heard people getting tickets for is if you boat has a holding tank and a diverter valve. The diverter valve handle must be locked in the closed position so you can not discharge head waste overboard. I think they will board you and check for this and ticket you to the tune of about $250 so I have read. Ask around to see if this is true. Just a heads up!
D.D.
Miafun1

City/Region: Illinois
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lake Effect
Photos: Lake Effect
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will C
Thanks for the tip. Has anyone heard if having the valve closed and the handle removed is in compliance?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miafun1 wrote:
Will C
Thanks for the tip. Has anyone heard if having the valve closed and the handle removed is in compliance?

It may be OK but I'd get an official reading from someone and save the reply for boarding officials.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Mike

City/Region: mount juliet
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Photos: GYPSY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will-C,
When we were at Garrison Bite last May, the deal was you WOULD HAVE a pump-out fitting accessable weather you were on board or not. The city's pump-out boat has a schedule, and all the boats on the balls were on a list. Wednesday was our pump-out day UNLESS we requested the service before our day. The pump-out guys are very friendly, though strict!!! We only requested ahead of scedule once and that was when we were leaving on a tuesday A.M. and wanted an empty tank. The folks at Marathon are the same way. The pump-out must be accesable 24 / 7! We had so much fun in Key West we stayed 37 days. Should have taken the monthly rate! They went to $16.90 the last week we were there. It was $16.70 when we arrived.Yes, Blue Heaven is a MUST! Schooners has really good Margaritas, and laid back bands. Mallory Square...well, you know if you've been there..it's a circus! Too many things to mention here!!!!
Enjoy your trip, we ceartainly did!
Mike

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last reply should be addressed to Maifun1!!!! But when I start thinking of the Keys...well, I just get excited!
Mike
retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always fish available no matter what time of year, you just have to change your tactics.
Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Mike,
So whats the deal on porta potties? Or should I leave in the truck and carry a bucket? Smile
D.D.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D.,
When we were at Marathon we had been using the PETT (take a dump in a bag and throw it in trash) potti. We were going to be there a few days waiting on some friends who wanted to link up with us. The folks at Marathon said they had no ruling at that time on the PETT so, within 7 days, i think, maybe six, our boat had to comply with the deck mounted pump-out or we had to leave! We signed a letter of compliance stating we would comply, knowing from them, and other boaters moored there, that we had to have the pump-out for Garrison Bite anyway. Porta Potis did not comply, no ifs, ands, or buts! So I went to West Marine, got the hoses, a new potti, and a "WASTE" through hull and installed the compliant potti Twisted Evil right there on the mooring ball. If you are going to spend more than 6 days at Marathon or Garrison Bite you will have to have the deck mounted through hull. I think Bahi Honda has the same rule weather you anchor out or tie to the wall at the marina there. I believe Valkrie expierienced some of the same. Hope that answers your questions Smile
Mike
Will-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Mike,
I talked to the folks at the Key West Garrison Bight Marina. It just seems that if you are in a slip were you can use the toliet facilities on the hard you are ok for a longer duration. But you can only stay on a mooring ball as a transcient for about four or five days without having a mounted toliet with a pump out fitting. Thanks for the heads up on the bag trick! Embarassed So can you get a ticket for having a portapoddy on board not screwed down with out a pump out fitting?
D.D.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D.,
You might call Garrison Bite back, but my interpretation is, if you are on a BALL for more than the 4 or 5 days you addressed, you must have the secured, deck mounted Waste fitting type arrangment. Let Garrison be the judge. We stayed on the ball while we were there. Might check out or blog gypsyontheloop.com, 'cause we sure had fun!!! Cool John was the dockmaster's name when we were there, a really nice guy. I don't know if they would ticket you for "possesion of a non-coforming portta-potti" Very Happy
Mike
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else still in the Keys? I'm in Everglades City now. Will be working my way down Ten Thousand Islands and crossing over to the Keys in a few days.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Waste.

Bahia Honda is very user friendly when it come to porta potties. We were tied up there for ten days while fishing the area and when I asked about a dump station they just told us to dump it at the camp ground waste station, which is walking distance from the marina. It is a great place and I hope their policy doesn't change.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I was in the Keys for a few days in January (boat-less) and met Andy and Molly on Molly J (CD25) at Mangrove Marina (bayside)in Tavernier. They're from SD and plan on being in the Keys another month or two. Send them a PM and if they don't get back to you, let me know, and I'll PM their cell number to you.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: