The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Helm Wheel Clearance Solutions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to check out that shim thing, it sounds like a shimdandy solution.

I had that cramped feeling also, so a few years back replaced the wheel with a smaller one from Boaters world and removed the seat and did a little rework, got some pics in the B~C innards album. I wanted to sit farther away from the wheel and the mods helped but I think the only real fix for me would be to remodel the galley and loose about 3" of counter space......or get a Tomcat Smile

mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren --

I had not found those Vetus wheels and it sure does appear from the catalogue that there is 0 dish on most of them. Vetus makes very nice products so going to one of them would not only be a 0 dish wheel but likely a more nicely made wheel that the factory standard.

Harper --

The helm hub mounting arrangement to which you are referring is what is called "rear mounted." That is the back mount kit I referred to in my first post. The only drawback I see to that is that it would make checking the fluid level difficult and if I were doing that, I would likely add a dash mounted remote fill which allows you to see the fluid level and also to add fluid much more easily.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add, as a general comment, that my biggest issue with the room behind the wheel comes when I am using the spinner, particularly when it rotating through the bottom 90 degrees of wheel rotation. If anyone has suggestions for dealing with that particular situation (other than the mods discussed here) I sure would like to hear them.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Just wanted to add, as a general comment, that my biggest issue with the room behind the wheel comes when I am using the spinner, particularly when it rotating through the bottom 90 degrees of wheel rotation. If anyone has suggestions for dealing with that particular situation (other than the mods discussed here) I sure would like to hear them.

Thanks,
Warren

Warren-

I don't know how or when you use the spinner knob, but I use mine mostly when backing up.

I stand in the middle of the aisle and use the knob with my left hand. This enables me to see the backward path directly, instead of over my shoulder with a mirror or two. It's just a lot simpler. (Kiss Principle, again.)

The knob isn't that much advantage when in forward gear, at least to me, IMHO.

I'd get one that folds down out of the way, and put it in the center top of the wheel.

Driving forward at high speeds, the knob could be left erect, if desired, as turns generally don't require that much rotation of the helm, or simply left folded away.

When turning more, at lower speeds, fold the knob away, and do the hand over hand routine.

Stand it up to drive in reverse as described above, if that works for you, or just leave it folded down, if necessary.

I don't know if this will fit your style of steering, but may help add some variables to the thought process, at least I hope so.

Too bad you don't have a '47 DeSoto! (At least I think that was the model I'll refer to.)

It had a two spoke wheel with a big circular section about two thirds of the way outward on one of the two spokes. The circular section had a crossbar that was free to rotate within the circle, so you just grabbed the crossbar and spun the wheel around with one hand!

I never drove one, but saw one in a wrecking yard in the late 1950's! Does anybody else remember one of these?

Joe Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, thanks for your suggestion -- that is actually what I have ended up doing, but it makes for some awkwardness when I have to lean over to manipulate the engine controls at the same time.

I find that I need to use the spinner and the engine controls with much more gusto on a 22 than on my Tom Cat, because the 22 stern essentially slides over the water without much keel effect. Hence, I have to compensate with rapid changes in the engines' orientation. This is the way I have learned it from Tom, anyway.

Warren
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: This works for us Reply with quote

Joe, thanks for the idea.
Quote:
"I stand in the middle of the aisle and use the knob with my left hand. This enables me to see the backward path directly, instead of over my shoulder
with a mirror or two. It's just a lot simpler. (Kiss Principle, again.)"
I enjoy standing in the isle (center) driving forward when we are cruise in the open water, but have not tried that position for backing. Learned another new thing on the C-Brats site today.

Warren, Isn't that 22 powered with twins? Try not even using the steering wheel when backing and steering. Use the twin throttles in proportion or one forward one reverse, leaving both engines pointed dead centered straight.
For Docking, This works for us. I come in to within 6-8 feet of the dock, (with the dock to stbd.) Pull the port engine to reverse, swinging bow out from dock to about 45 degrees, then slide both engines to reverse until Deena can lay a boat hook onto a cleat or bull rail, then port engine goes into forward and stbd into or stays in reverse, pulling the bow over to the dock. Both go into neutral and I go out stepping onto the dock and secure the bow while she holds the stern. Once the bow is secure, the stern is cleated and we are landed. Love my twins Love

And also, I'm not wearing out my steering wheel Wink

Harvey
SleepyC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: