My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used Penns and Scottys with good success. My brother prefers Canons. Electrics are much nicer than manuals, however do to costs (new 25 CD's aren't cheap), we have Scotty manuals with the gunnel mounts placed forward of the rails. The location has worked well and the mounts are easy to remove (two screws with knobs).

The warranty on Scottys is unparalleled in the industry. We had a pair of ten-year-old electrics repaired in Portland, OR at no cost (new gears, belts, one motor, and updated stops). They truly stand behind the lifetime warranty.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Telescopic Down Rigger Advice Reply with quote

Scotty makes the extended downrigger that telescopes out. It this necessary. Any pros / cons appreciated.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Telescopic Down Rigger Advice Reply with quote

C-Sick wrote:
Scotty makes the extended downrigger that telescopes out. Is this necessary? Any pros / cons appreciated.

C-Sick - I have the extended Scotties - they help a little in turns but I have to admit, I rarely have them extended much. The ONLY way to retrieve the ball and clip on a line when they are extended is with one of the down rigger weight retreivers. Scotties makes these - basically a plastic loop that you put around the cable. The loop connects to a line that goes back to a holder on the gunnel. This allows you to retrieve the ball without leaning WAY out. I didn't learn about these until this past season (after 3 years of fishing w/o them). I bought one to try it - it's a must if you use the Scotties extended and very helpful even without. I'm going to put another on soon (when I get around to it....). It's a nice safety device.

However, even with that, I don't really run the down riggers extended much. To extend them, you either have to reach out pretty far OR, rotate them into the cockpit with a swivel base, pull out some extra cable and extend them. Also, when they are extended, you need to adjust the stopper on the cable so the ball doesn't hit. Too much trouble to deal with in my honest opinion. I suppose if I was running more than two downriggers (one off each side and one or more out the back), I might need to use them in the extended position but with just one on each side, I don't do it.

Roger on the SeaDNA

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I troll with my main almost exclusively, I wouldn't have any use for the Scotty extended arm or swivel base. Not sure if they are necessary with the twin applications though. I did install a Mac Troll Saver on my kicker for cheap insurance should I get really out of shape. It would only take one foul up to pay for the Mac considering the cost to replace cable, ball, flasher and lure.

I use the green rubber bungee thingy's which are about 18" long that I attach to the ball and end of the cable. This places the ball right at water level which is good for the gel coat and if you attach the release to the top of the bungee it's not a far reach to grab the release line. I do make a point to lean over the downrigger when reaching out as the floor can get a bit slippery.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is the standard boom on the Scotty rather than the extendable. Just simpler, easier, and more convenient for me. I outfitted both my last two CD's with the standard booms.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the extended booms pay off is in a cross wind when the balls tend to drift under the boat and into the motor. The tilt feature on all the Scotty's makes retrieving weights much easier that with other makes.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had extended arms on my manual penns ( the best for manual downriggers) and used the pulleys for bringing in the balls and attaching my lines. Now i have the electric scottys. i have only used them once but not sure if i like them more then the elec penns on my friends boat. the penns descend on power which is nice because of the controlled rate of decent. the scottys clutch release ( which is better then the cannon manuals but not as good as the pen manual) is a little touchy. I have only used it once so maybe i have to get used to it. a great trick that many guides and a few friends use is to have release clips long enough to reach the boat. what i mean is from the point that you clip the release to the cable to the end of the release, where you attach the line, is a foot longer then your boom.Now all you have to do is find a thin broom handle , the alum. ones work great, and screw in a open hook to the end. This way all you have to do is reach out with the hook and snag your release and drag it to the boat . no leaning over the side , no rotating your mounts. the added benefit is the longer release cables allow you to detect the little shakers better then the standard 18 in cables. your rod tip has more room to bounce this way, it really works. Another benefit is that the pole and hook can be used to release native fish in the water with out netting them. just put the hook around your line and run it down to the fish, snag a hook and shake... off goes the fish.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Sotty manuals. We have a pair of 1085's and I really like them. I had Penn manuals on my previous boat, and they worked very well, too. I have used the Cannon manuals and hated them. Much harder to let out the balls due to the way you ease off on the crank handle...just personal, but I thought it very clumsy to use. My wife wants to get electrics, but I am of the "simple is better" mindset. Since we usually troll at 80 feet max, it's really no biggie to crank them up. Maybe when we finally get that CD we'll get electrics, but for now I am quite happy with manuals.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: