The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Da New Da Nag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I drove up to EQ Marine and saw Da New Da Nag and she's definitely looking Da Good!

She especially looks Da Good resting on "Sea Shift's" trailer.....tee hee.
Smile

Visited with Bill and Les and then the three of us viewed the "boat jewelry" that Les has purchased for our boats.....(also looks da good!)

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill and Dana,
Today I saw your "baby" again and took pictures of her. Once I figure out how to post the pictures you'll be able to see them. I'll take my camera and usb to work tomorrow and maybe one of my "nerdy" partners can help me post them. (The pix are of the interior of Da New Da Nag and possible "mounting sites" for the electronics and pictures of both of our boats parked next to each other).
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! What's the hydraulic pump for? I see both Da Nag and Sea Shift have one. In the Sea Shift picture, Dave calls it the hydraulic steering, but I thought that was a wheel powered pump at the helm. The only other thing I can think of is trim tabs, but the Lenco electrics don't have a hydraulic system. Ok - what are you guys getting that I will have to have??

And by the way, Mr. S - thanks for the frequent pictures. We know Bill and Dana appreciate it, but you oughta know that the rest of us enjoy watching your boats grow, too.

Last edited by TyBoo on Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't happen to be a hydraulic lifting kicker mount/bracket would it? Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Hey! What's the hydraulic pump for? I see both Da Nag and Sea Shift have one.

Smart a$$ answer #1

I think it's for the fetzer valve. Dave's is modular due to the infraction angle of twins; mine is integrated.

I couldn't figure out why a universal unit couldn't be used, until I read up on the Morgenstern principle.

Smart a$$ answer #2

It's the pump for my onboard espresso machine.

Smart a$$ answer #3

Aren't you some sorta mechanical know-how kind of dude? Whaddya asking us for?

TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I am saying, Smartdollarsigns, is if you got electric/hydraulic steering on an outboard boat, you're screwed. Or, what I might be implying is that if Les hooked a hydraulic pump to them Lenco electric screw jacks, then he needs to get a little more rest or else let Kathy do the rigging for a while.

I am sure I'll feel like a complete dork when I find out what the pump is for, but right now it bugs me.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow you guys - I think if somebody spent that much money for a hydraulic autopilot, they would know what that pump is for. It just dawned on me, and I ain't even got one.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les said, somewhere, that he won't deliver a new 22 WITHOUT hydraulic steering...so I assume DNDN and SSSS both will have hydraulic steering.
TyBoo wrote:
All I am saying, Smartdollarsigns, is if you got electric/hydraulic steering on an outboard boat, you're screwed. Or, what I might be implying is that if Les hooked a hydraulic pump to them Lenco electric screw jacks, then he needs to get a little more rest or else let Kathy do the rigging for a while.

I am sure I'll feel like a complete dork when I find out what the pump is for, but right now it bugs me.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on that, Pat, but the SeaStar and BayStar hydraulic systems have a manually operated (by turning the steering wheel) pump. I did figure it out, though (see above post). Boy, do I feel like a dork.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shame in that, and besides, I absolutely claim the title "King of the Dorks" when it comes to electrical / mechanical / physical stuff...no contest!
TyBoo wrote:
You're right on that, Pat, but the SeaStar and BayStar hydraulic systems have a manually operated (by turning the steering wheel) pump. I did figure it out, though (see above post). Boy, do I feel like a dork.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat
I think Mike lost any claim to Dorkdom when he figured it out. Maybe we need a seperate thread only for qualified dorks-those of us with no projects ongoing or anticipated. The boat is fine, the accesories are fine, and the seat faces aft. We fish a little, we cruise a little. and we sleep. Wink

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, time for an update.

I took delivery of Da New Da Nag last Thursday at EQ. Les and I took her for a brief shake down cruise out of Cornett Bay, after which I loaded her back up and proceeded south for the weekend gathering at Jarrell Cove.

I couldn't have asked for a more educational weekend; I got tossed a little bit of everything.

The launch out of Olympia Friday morning was...interesting. With 20 MPH winds at the dock, and me launching single-handed, I discovered rather quickly that the 22 with full canvas deployed was much more of a handful than my 19 was. Getting it off the trailer and tied up to the dock was no problem, but releasing the lines and getting on board provided some entertainment for the unhelpful fellow watching from the yacht tied up next to me.

My destination was Penrose State Park, where I planned on meeting up with Brock (Bambina/Catman), Fred (Anita Marie) and Jon (C-Lou). Once underway, I immediately appreciated the electric wipers - a nice heavy rain pounded on me along with the heavy wind, which let up somewhat as I approached Boston Harbor. With the wind directly behind me out of the south, the heavy chop was pretty manageable and I was able to hold 12-14 MPH comfortably. That all changed when I turned south into the wind when rounding Johnson Point.

I was greeted with some of the choppiest water I've ever been on. Nothing huge, mostly 2 footers, but they were so close together, non-stop and unpredicatable I had to slow to about 2 MPH to avoid getting beaten to death. Fortunately, this was the only southerly leg, and was only about a mile in length. Upon rounding Devils point and getting the wind behind me, things got back to normal, and I made it to Penrose without any further drama.

This first cruise made me quite happy with two options in particular; the autopilot, and the hydraulic steering. I'm somewhat familiar with the South Sound area, but being able to move your cursor to a point on the chartplotter, and tell the autopilot to take you there, was just too cool for words - especially in nasty weather. As Les has mentioned, it frees you up to pay more attention to other things, such as traffic and obstacles in the water. I had to disable the autopilot in the choppy stuff, as I had to constantly adjust position due to the chop coming from all directions. This gave me a warm fuzzy feeling for the hydraulic steering; 'tis much nicer than the cable setup on my 19.

After spending some quality time with the Raymarine manuals while at Penrose, I got to play with some of the RADAR functions on the way to Jarrel Cove with the gang. I figured out how to overlay the RADAR on the chartplotter display, then discovered how to work the MARPA tracking functions. This system is really slick; with the RADAR overlay on the chartplotter, you move the cursor over a target, then punch a button to acquire the target - you can grab up to ten different targets. The MARPA functions track the object, and display a heading line for them on the chartplotter; you can easily see where paths will cross. You can also pull up a list of all targets that are being tracked, with their bearing and speeds listed. The nerd in me is quite happy.

Another item of interest - the canvas work commissioned by Les. It has so many nice features, I'm not sure where to begin. The visibility is fantastic; glass is everywhere. There are numerous strategically placed zippers - it's no problem to get into the lazarettes or into the motor well, the sides can easily be rolled up (without being removed) when the weather gets nice and you want some cross breeze, and there is no need to unsnap the canvas to get in/out of the boat. The top section is zippered just aft of the attachment rail - this allows you to fold back a flap on top. No need to duck under the cover when climbing in/out of the boat.

And the trim tabs...I'm sold on the electric Lencos. The optional position indicators are a neat touch, and it's nice to have them auto-retract when you cut the power to them. Operationally, I found they are nicer than the hydraulic tabs I had on the 19. With hydraulic tabs, you tap the controls, and wait a second or two to see how the boat responds. Not a big deal, but with the electric tabs, the boat responds immediately. I always assumed the delay with hydraulics was the boat adjusting to the new tab position, but now I'm guessing the hydraulic pressure takes a second to build up before the tab moves. With the screw jack design of the electrics, they move immediately, and the boat responds immediately.

All in all, the boat is great, and Les and EQ lived up to their reputation by doing a fantastic job with the rigging. Les didn't quite have enough time to get the forward facing seat conversion done, so no details on that yet. I'll be back up there for Lopez in a few weeks, so those of you attending will get to see what he comes up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: