Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When messing with the big boys, I try to just get the heck out of the way. When I want to hang around, I figure out where we both are, with respect to navaids, each other, etc., so they will be able to figure out who is hailing, and who is being hailed (SOUTHBOUND TUG AT CHESAPEAKE MARKER 73, SOUTHBOUND TUG AT CHESAPEAKE 73, THIS IS PLEASURE VESSEL ALMA'S ONLY, 2 MILES DEAD AHEAD, OVER). Depending on the situation, this might invlove radar ranging. The more info you know in advance, and incorporate into your hail, the better your chances of a successful connection.

When contact is established, I'll usually ask what they want me to do (THEIR VESSEL NAME, ALMA'S ONLY, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO PASS, OVER). They reply ALMA'S ONLY (or just as likely, CAPTAIN), THEIR VESSEL NAME, ONE WHISTLE, OVER or ALMA'S ONLY, PORT TO PORT, OVER) and I acknowledge VESSEL NAME, ALMA'S ONLY, ONE WHISTLE, WILCO, HAVE A GOOD DAY, OUT.

In tight situations on rivers, they might get much more specific: CAPTAIN, MOVE ABOUT 200 FEET TO YOUR PORT AND STOP WHILE I SWING WIDE TOWARD THE MARKER, AND THEN TUCK IN BEHIND ME AS I COME ALONGSIDE. These guys know exactly what they're doing, and where to place you so noone gets hurt. It's really neat to deal with them. The only problem is that there's a "diminishing returns" concept at work. The better they are, and the more usable information they send your way, the heavier their accent. Eventually, they're so good that you can hardly understand a word they say!

If the big boy is commercial, I trust that he knows the difference between ONE WHISTLE and TWO WHISTLES, and will acknowledge in kind. If it is a pleasure craft of any kind, I never rely on the skipper knowing the difference, because I've encountered enough who don't know a whistle from a drum, or, worse, have them switched. In that situation, my acknowledgment is always PORT TO PORT or STARBOARD TO STARBOARD, etc.

If you aren't sure about your whistles, don't ask the question HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO PASS: instead say WOULD YOU LIKE TO PASS PORT TO PORT, OR STARBOARD TO STARBOARD. That's usually enough to tell them that you don't want to play in the band, and they'll reply in kind, unless they're really trying to play with you.

So, in keeping with this thread, what do the Rules say about using whistles over the VHF? Aren't you supposed to just toot your horn?

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

What should you be honking if you are in the fog but fishing (underway or anchored)?

Sorry, Roger, I missed that question. If you are fishing in the fog, you are still a powerboat in the grand scheme of things. If you are underway and making way, the signal is still one long blast every two minutes (or less). If you are underway, but not making way, the signal is two long blasts with two seconds between them, every two minutes (or less). If you are at anchor, the signal is ringing a bell rapidly for 5 seconds once every minute (or less); in addition, one short blast followed by one long and another short may be used.

This took awhile, but I decided to disagree a bit. It really depends on how you're fishing. If you're trolling or trailing a net (commercial) you're limited in your ability to maneuver. For example, a recreational fisherman who is trolling two or more lines cannot make sharp turns for fear of wrapping the lines around each other (common) or worse yet wrapping a prop. Hence, it's appropriate in such a case to sound the signal of a hampered vessel.

In clear weather, it's frequently the case that non fishing power boaters assume that a trolling recreational fisherman is not hampered in their ability to maneuver. However, even if we're "making way" if we're fishing, we're not still a power boat in the grand scheme of things and we should be avoided by power boats as per rule 18.

rogerbum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're out at night and you see the following lights on a boat in front of you - two yellow lights in a vertical line. These lights flash alternately every second and with equal light and dark duration. What's that boat doing and should you pass behind it?
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Check the rule as it relates to a boat fishing with trolling lines:

Quote:
RULE 3
GENERAL DEFINITIONS

(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.

A boat fishing with trolling lines, is NOT a fish boat according to the rules.

If you can turn, even if not as sharply as without lines, you are not a "fishing boat" and should sound horn signals as a regular power boat.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - that's exactly why this is a good thread - so people like me can be educated.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Well - that's exactly why this is a good thread - so people like me can be educated.

Hi Roger,

I've been out all day, so didn't get back in time to have a discussion about this. When I first got my captain's license I had a lengthy discussion about this very topic with an instructor. His take was: if it's a small boat, even a 6-pac with guys fishing onboard, you can still maneuver and/or pull in the lines. For some of these commercial guys, they may have a mile or more of lines trolling. I asked, "What if the small boat is flying the proper shape or has the proper lights at night?"

His response, "Then that would be his choice... I guess."

His take was the same as Larry's. I am one of those guys who doesn't have rod holders on his boat and is going to try to be courteous to everyone out there... and stay within the Rules. Wink

I know you are a very serious fisherman. I would give you a wide berth; and when it's foggy, I give EVERYONE a wide berth. I think it's easier to go by the same "rule" we have here than to have to discuss it in court.

Best wishes,
Jim
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
You're out at night and you see the following lights on a boat in front of you - two yellow lights in a vertical line. These lights flash alternately every second and with equal light and dark duration. What's that boat doing and should you pass behind it?

Hi Roger,

If you're going for a "stump", you've got me. A flashing yellow light generally is on the forward end of a tow being pushed. One yellow. We have no submarines around here, so I haven't had that pleasure in person. A tug pulling a partially submerged dredge pipe is supposed to have a flashing yellow at the end of the pipe. A tug with a long tow will have two yellows astern, but not flashing. I am not familiar with two yellow lights in a vertical line, flashing alternately. I even pulled out the Chapman's... and apparently they are not familiar with this configuration, either. At least not that I could easily find. I have a "cheat-sheet" of lights for quick referral... didn't see it there.

So, if you're going for really out-there, it could potentially be a tug pulling TWO dredge pipes on a trestle (one OVER the other), and the "special flashing light" on each could be out of sequence. But, that is REALLY a stretch. Rolling Eyes

Is there a light for: a guy fishing who wants other boats to consider him the "stand-on" and is giving them a signal to have them give him a wide berth? Twisted Evil If I don't know what a light/signal means, I'd get on the radio AND give it plenty of room.

Waiting to be enlightened.

Best wishes,
Jim
rogerbum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After demonstrating my ignorance of what constitutes the official definition of a boat engaged in fishing, I am indeed going for a stump. I'll give you a hint -this comes from the "Annexes, Interpretative Rules, and other associated Navigation Regulations" section of the rules. I haven't seen it myself, but it's well within the realm of possibility out here.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, armed with that info...

Signals for purse seiners

Vessels engaged in fishing with purse seine gear may exhibit two yellow lights in a vertical line. These lights shall flash alternately every second and with equal light and occultation duration. These lights may be exhibited only when the vessel is hampered by its fishing gear.

Of course, I had to look up "purse seiners" to find out what that was! Crook

Are you one of those professors who enjoys watching students squirm as he hands out finals? Twisted Evil
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I answered one, I'll ask... but this isn't intended to be a stump. As two boats approach each other, near head-on, the generally accepted procedure is for each to turn to starboard (unless there is some agreement otherwise - sound signals or radio). Absent of those signals, what shows your intent?
Larry H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I have reviewed Rule 14 and there is no mention of signaling intent.

For the other vessel to know what you intend, you have to turn to your starboard side so the other vessel can see that you have turned.
Larry H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Good question about the two alternating yellow lights!!

Jim,

I boat in the Northwest and have seen plenty of purse seiners in Canada and Alaska and I have never seen that light signal.

I note that the lights may be shown, but are not required.
Larry H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are not playing this game, and might be wondering, "Where do they get this stuff?"

Here is the place: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

This site has lots of great info, and links. You can download your own copy of the rules, radio information and other great stuff, and it is the official USCG site.[/b]
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "intent" that I mentioned earlier is not specifically stated in the Rules. The training I received stated to make a turn with the bow that is noticeable - not 2 or 3º, but 20 or 30º so the other skipper can see that you are responding. I think the exact wording was "Show 'em your side."

While not a specific Rule, it makes the crossing situation intent more obvious.

Question: What is considered an "extremis" situation?
Larry H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definition of extremis: (Google search)

in extremis ˌin ekˈstrāmēs; ikˈstrēmis term used to describe a situation of such exceptional urgency that immediate action must be taken to minimize imminent loss of life

A stand on vessel can be placed "in extremis" by the give way vessel's failure to maneuver as required by the Rules.

Or "to be between a rock and a hard place"

The stand on vessel then has to do whatever it can to avoid damage or loss of life, even if that action violates the Rules.

No new question on this post, as I still have an unanswered question on page 7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: