View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Fishing Gear Reply with quote

Ok you fishing experts. I need some assistance with boat rods, reels and other essentials to outfit my 25 for salmon fishing. I'm adding a Honda 15 kicker, Troll Master and downriggers at Les's next month and I need advice on the other items I'll need. We will be fishing in Puget Sound, the Columbia River and British Columbia. I've flyfished for 30+ years, wading and in a driftboat, but that didn't prepare me for the kinds of fishing that I'm going to encounter in the saltwater. The heaviest rod that I own is a 9' steelhead casting rod. I'm looking at the Cabela's catalogs and I'm completely baffled as to what kind of general boat rods and reels to buy. What are you guys using?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a few items off every page in the fishing section of Cabellas catalog Smile I have a Penn 320 reel spooled up with 25lb line that I stick on 8' North X Northwest brand diver and bait rod. The rod is rated for 20-25lb test line and is a bit more limber than many folks like but I like it cuz it lets you know when those nibblers are nibblin. I slam the same reel on the short ugly, stout rod if we pulling bigger divers but usually, I'll use the NXNW rod for salmon & sturgeon.
The N X NW rods offer a pretty good value for the buck and have a good warranty, broke one last year (long story) and GI Joes swapped out for a new one with no questions asked.

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle

One good boat fishing rod to have is a caramel colored "Ugly Stick" (I can't remember the manufacture number of it) and a Penn 320 or 321 reel. Put 50 to 80 lb Tuffline on the reel. This combo will work great for big salmon, sturgeon and tuna if you want.
The good news is that boat rods are cheaper than the more sensitive graphite rods that you're probably using for steelhead. Fiberglass rods work well for trolling. The Ugly Stick cost about $60 and the Penn 320 about $90. You can also get by on cheaper rods and reels, although they may not be quite as versatile.

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
I have trolled many many hours for salmon using downriggers and I have found the best set-up is a Shimano Charter Special Lever-drag reel teamed with either a Shimano downrigger rod or an Ugly stick downrigger rod. This would be a dedicated use rig only good for downriggers. The lever drag makes setting your gear very easy and even novices on your boat can get the hang of it very quickly. Regardless of the type of reel you select, be sure you only get a fiberglass downrigger rod. Graphite and most glass/graphite rods are way too stiff the take the constant stress of downriggers. Hope this helps.
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fishing with the downrigger I've bought 2 rods specifically for use on downriggers. (Downrigger Special) is lettered on the rod. They're very flexible, kind of like a steelhead rod. In fact I bought them way before I bought the downrigger and used them as steelhead rods. They also are made with graphite, but I suspect they are fiberglass reinforced with graphite. They only cost about $30 apiece.
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, looks like Lyle's finally coming around.

Glad to hear your purchasing downriggers. For Puget Sound and ocean fishing, I am convinced that trolling with downriggers is the most effective method of fishing, all things considered. You gain exact depth control and you can troll until you find the fish. This can be a great advantage if there are not a lot of fish around. Once the fish are located, you can continue to troll in the vicinity or break out the mooching rods and fish bait. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with mooching or jigging. In fact, I prefer to fish hands on. I just believe trolling is more effective.

I'm sure happy with the electric Scotty's. All of their models use the same motor, internals and housing with options available for length of boom, telescoping boom and swivel base. I went with the standard 24" boom because I like to be able to reach the down rigger clip and the ball without hanging too far over the boat. I was compelled though, to install a Mac's prop saver to prevent a nasty confrontation between the downrigger cable and the kicker's prop. It would only take one confrontation to pay for the prop saver when you consider the cost of purchasing a new cable, lead ball, clip and what ever gear you were fishing with, not to mention the inconvenience and embarrassment. The Scotty's come with a lifetime warranty and are considerably less expensive than either Penn or Cannon models which have a slower retreive. I like to use 15 lb balls because of the depths I fish at times and have had no problem retreiving these heavier balls all day long.

I know you could experience difficulties explaining this to your partner, but you really need to have two sets of poles. One set for the downriggers and one set for either mooching or trolling with weights ranging from four to about eight ounces like they do on the Columbia River. One example you could use is fishing for trout with a eight weight fly rod. It's big enough to fish for steelhead and salmon and it will still catch trout but......

For your downrigger rods I agree with earlier responder's that a fiberglass rod is the best route to go. Typically, this rod is lighter than your mooching rod. I purchased a couple of Lamiglass Certified Pro XCF 862 rods two years ago at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle and have been very happy with them. They are rated at 10 to 20 lbs, are light enough to make sport of a five pound blackmouth or silver but have enough backbone to handle a larger king.

I believe the most important component of your arsenal though is your reel. Regardless of the method of fishing, having a reel with a smooth and reliable drag system is a must. I finally settled on Penn 310 GTI's after trying two different Shimano reels. The 310's are one size smaller (which I like) than the 320's but still hold about 280 yards of 20lb mono which is more than ample. One thing you wont like though if your a fly fisher guy is that almost all salmon reels are right hand retrieve. Counter intuitive if you ask me. Penn did just come out with a left hand retrieve reel in the 320 size.

I'm running out of wind here, but there are a couple of great resources on the net that contain a wealth of information on salmon fishing that you should check out. One is Salmon University (online classes) and the other is Puget Sound Anglers main state site. Fantastic resources. Additionally, I would be more than willing to take you and maybe another brat out one weekend day in late February or March to fish blackmouth in Puget Sound if you are interested. I usually put in at Edmonds and fish Point no Point on the other side of the pond. Tim
Bess-C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the help guys. The info on the downrigger rods is very helpful. I'm glad to hear that something about owning this boat is going to be less expensive than I expected. I think I'm going to order Scotty 1105 downriggers. So then I'll be asking you about release clips, flashers and other parts. I know that I'll be buying more than two rods, downrigger rods, mooching rods, sturgeon rods, anything that I'm missing? Tim, thanks for the invite on the blackmouth fishing. I would like to take you up on that if schedules work.
Lyle
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bess-C
Go grage saleing Laughing this summer and find your self a Penn Monofil 26 reel on an old yellow fiberglass pole for $10.00 Smile and it will catch you more fish than any other setup you can pay over Sad $200. dollars for. Thumbs Up Wink BELIEVE ME it does. I found one two years ago at a sale and always find myself going back to it. Judy and I went to the Willipa last year and my wife caught two nooks 20 to 25 lbs in half an hour and then Embarrased we (SHE) got two nice silvers 15 or so lbs within two more hours. All on the same yellow pole useing a green fish flash 3oz red banana sinker 20 pulls from reel to first eye on pole in 24 foot water. Had the same idenical set up on my $75.00 dollar Grafite pole with my $55.00 dollar Ambassadeur reel which did not even get a bump. So go figure that. One Lyle to another Lyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Lyle. I paid $13.99 for my first fly rod, and fished with it for years. Then my fishing buddies convinced me that I needed $200.00 reels and rods that cost so much I'm embarassed to publicize it here. The $13.99 rod would outfish the Sage, Loomis and Orvis rods in some conditions. I loved it and used it until I broke it.
Lyle
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
When I bought the Lynn Marie a couple years ago i went into Englund Marine in Astoria and talked to a guy I knew from my commercial fishing days 25 years ago and asked about rods and reels. He took me over to a display of combos they sell to the charter fleet and said get a couple of these short stout poles for sturgeon or bottom fish and a couple of these longer ones for salmon. They cost me $69.95 for pole, reel, and a full spool of 30# test line. Never given me any problems and I don't care who picks them up or how they handle them. The long limber ones work just fine with my down rigger too.

It's not the rod and reel, it's the bait, rig, speed, etc. Oh, fishing in a spot with fish also helps.

kingfisher

City/Region: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Misbehavin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
That 9' steelhead casting rod will work. I use a straight line real w/ 20# line because I feel you keep all the twist out of the line. It is under a lot of pressure, when using the down riggers. I to am a Flyfisherman, and it's fun to troll with a sink tip on a fly rod for sea run cuts near the banks, for a change of pase. When there around...

Misbehavin/Kingfisher
David
Bess-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you attended the Salmon University class? I'm trying to get a jump start on learning to fish with this boat and downriggers. They are having a one day class in Renton the end of March. It looks interesting, but it is the same weekend as the Jerrell Cove outing. I can't do both, so I need some input if any of you have some knowledge of Salmon University.
Thanks,
Lyle
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lyle, if you come to Jerrell Cove, I would be glad to give you my two cents worth on fishing downriggers. I know about the Salmon University site, I view it all the time. Those two guys really know their stuff. I"m not the educator like those guys, but I think I could give you a few ideas.
Jon
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet that Jon can give fishing lessons - and Cynthia too can give us all a lesson in fishing! And Jon, you had better agree.

Dusty

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Captain Dusty... Wink

And, I have to work real hard at outfishing Cynthia. I think I need to hold the cell phone up to my ear to catch more fish... I haven't figured out how she does it yet, but she does! Crook

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: