The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Safety Ladder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Safety Ladder Reply with quote

So I know I will want to take the Denebola out fishin' and crabin' by myself, so I need to get a safety ladder just in case I take a dip Shocked . I looked in the photo albums and saw what looks like the ticket on the Amelia Anne. Please pass on any tips and links.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia Anne has the C-Dory factory-fitted swim step which you can have them send you in a box and fit yourself. Since C-Dory rarely sends their "kits" with any instructions, ask them for a mounting template, although the photo of AA's transom will give you an accurate idea where it goes.

This in indeed a safety device! The step can be deployed from the water.

I'm adding a handrail, maybe two, to assist egress to the boat from the water. The same parts as on either side of the cabin back. And some non-skid in the motor well. My daughter and her friends use this all the time when tubing or swimming.

-- Chuck
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spring line on both side of the boat, from mid-cleat to aft-cleat. This line has a loop in it just aft of the cabin. I have used this line to climb back in the boat after taking an unscheduled dip. It also gives you something to grab on to if you're in the water.
I also use the line to loop a dock cleat when I come in to the dock, it holds the boat till I can get out and tie her up proper.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory installed ladder is about $250 from C-Dory. The same ladder at W Marine is about $160 or so. You don't really need any kind of template. I bought an extra set of mounting brackets so I can mount the ladder on either side.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the swim platform/step installed by the factory when we purchased True Story. After installation of the 9.9 kicker, I noticed the ladder steps were significantly dragging in the water at traveling speeds and took them off.

There is room to raise the platform about 1-1/2 inches which would solve the dragging problem but would require a lot of new hole drilling in the transom. I think the best option for me is to mount and store a flexible ladder on top of the platform that can be hung over when needed. I also think installing at least one hand rail is a definite must as suggested by Chuck S. and like the spring line idea also.

Since all of our boating activity takes place in cold water, an accidental dunking depending on the circumstances, could result in an immediate life threatening situation. I remember earlier discussion on the old site and believe it was Dusty that stated a person may have only one chance to ingress the boat under their own power. I can picture my fishing buddy dragging my hypothermic butt back in the boat but I can't picture my wife doing this. I am now contemplating emergency retreival options.

Interesting topic and I would definitely be interested in any thoughts the rest of you may have.
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the West Marine site but did not see the unit shown on the Amelia Anne. They did have a safety ladder in a bag, ($109) which is hung over the side and deployed when pulled on. The "True Story" might like this one. Looks like a good option but will have to look at the specs. and where to mount it.

I hadn't considered the transom mounted step/ladder dragging with a load, but it makes sense and doesn't sound appealing.

Is there somewhere to view all of the CD optional equipment Question Doesn't seem to be on their site.

Thanks for all the feedback and if you see any other choices or have other tales, let me know.
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the Ladder in a bag. I found the same product online at Landfall Navigation for only $89.95. It's called the Plastimo Quick Launch Safety Ladder.
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wheeler Dealer, I wouldn't discount the factory platform and steps without talking to other members with the 16 footer. I like the concept. It should have been installed a bit higher for how my boat sit's in the water. Thanks for the info. on the ladders. I'll check it out.
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not discounting anything at this point. I like the factory mount as it looks good and is out of the way. The bag-o-ladder can be mounted on the side which may be easier for getting in, (side handhold) or for pick-up if Terries' at the helm.

I hope more members reply to this subject so I can make a more informed decision.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wheeler Dealer,
We have the factory installed swim step and ladder on our 16' and frankly I think it's a great feature.
Probably, the nicest feature that I've found with the swim step is that when I'm in an area that will permit it, I drop an anchor on an "anchor buddy" (you know.... the big bungee cord connected to the anchor), then the stern is tied to something on the beach and I find I can then easily step from the beach to the swim platform and onto the boat without even getting my feet wet. (Naturally, the ladder is not in the deployed position at that time).
Since, my 8 HP kicker is mounted on the starboard side of the 50 HP, our vessel tends to sit lower in the water on that side and when underway, I've never noticed "drag" to be a problem.

C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave M --

You thinking of an earlier swim ladder for the 16 footers? On this one there are no brackets or anything you can swap from side to side with out leaving half a dozen holes in the transom.

http://www.c-brat.net/modules.php?set_albumName=AmeliaAnne&id=Aa_0026&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

-- Chuck
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave S & Chuck S,
Thanks for the input and pictures. Terrie and I have looked closely at these and are not liking how close to the water the factory job sets. We too have a kicker and when loaded with pots and gear, and, well, I think we'll keep looking at the portable options like the bag-o-ladder. It would be nice to have the step for beaching or when you get something in the prop but I started looking into this to just save my butt, (should my butt become wet Embarrased ). The bag-o-ladder (as I have dubbed it) has excellent feedback and I could get one for each side of the boat for less than the factory job.

Gotta go, Terries' birthday today Cake. She is probably expecting something for the boat but I've been to a State Fair or two. I got her a new vacuum sealer for all the fish she's gonna' catch Wink.

P.S. Is that a brand new, bigger "Sea Shift" in the album?
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler Dealer wrote:
Dave S & Chuck S,
I started looking into this to just save my butt, (should my butt become wet Embarrased ). The bag-o-ladder (as I have dubbed it) has excellent feedback and I could get one for each side of the boat for less than the factory job.

Gotta go, Terries' birthday today Cake..

P.S. Is that a brand new, bigger "Sea Shift" in the album?

Hi Jon and Terrie........HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRIE! Cake Cocktail .

Jon, I'm not familiar with the "bag-o-ladder", but I have to add that I'm not sure that any set up would be easier to get back in the boat than the combination swim step and ladder....(unless of course the props were still turning, then I wouldn't want to be near it).
Yes, that is the new "Super Sized Sea Shift". I've already removed the name "Sea Shift" from the 16' which is now for sale and will be putting the name "Sea Shift" on the new 22' in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I won't have a combo swim step and ladder on the 22' as I am going with twin Hondas and there won't be any room, so I'm going with a dive ladder that will mount on the sides and the stern.
Chuck S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water line is pretty well defined by the bottom color and stripe on this boat, and the "scum line" is always in the blue. I can't see how the step can "drag" in the wake of the boat. Certainily not underway, and at anchor I suppose it's possible to put the transom under water if you put enough weight there!

Contact C-Dory directly with your concerns, we're not documenting any problems here, just maybes and might bes from folks who don't have this system.

-- Chuck
rascal

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi C-Brats
We have a portable swimladder from west marine that fits perfectly flat and folds flat in the splashwell of our 22' It is not chocked,also keep a boat hook
(telescoping) in the portside gunwale shelf. we also keep a lifeline in a bag (yellow
throwable) with a small strobe attached to the bag.it hangs on the wood paper towel rack in the starboard bulkhead interior.
Boat hooks are an indispensible safety item. Safe boating to you all! When single handing always leave one dockline cleated

Rascal is in the boat shed till ice out.
ras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: