The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Remote Steering and Auto Pilot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Remote Steering and Auto Pilot Reply with quote

Hey Gang... Was just putting together my wish list for C-Byrd up grades and saw some other threads going that were getting close to echonomical auto steer/pilot items...so I thought I'd post this as it was for sure one of the most cool and echonomical gadgets I saw at the 2006 Seattle Boat show when up there this year.... Below is a cut-n-paste with web site and info I sent my brother Mike shortly after returning home from the show. Worth a look by anyone who is starting new. No speed control, but wired remote that you can change directions....for less than $500.

See following Email:

The next neatest gadget...was the remote steering control by Intellisteer. The base company that provides Raymarine and all the other very high dollar remote steering guroos the basic parts... They had on display a very basic system for less than $400 that allows you the ability for remote steering....like if you and B are sitting on the front hood of your boat just slow cruising up/down the river or poking about in the coves.... Still no ability to change speeds, but 100% steering. I will just have to search out and attempt to find a site? Humm Cool....and about $2500 cheaper than what I have. This is for sure what I would do if I were starting over. Just too simple, and WAY more in line price wise.

Last edited by Byrdman on Wed May 03, 2006 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

web site:

http://www.intellisteer.com/
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the IntelliSteer manual:
Quote:
Do not use IntelliSteer when travelling at speeds greater than trolling speed.

I wonder why that caviat is written into the manual, Pat? Otherwise the system looks pretty nice if someone wants to use it, say, with a separate engine control unit back in the cockpit while docking or trolling.

Don
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don. My take on it is more than likely to "attempt" to put a "shield" around them for liability....when some redneck runs aground or over someone else at speed. The same motor driver that was on my TomCat's total Raymarine system pretty much.....and if I had taken the time to read all 47 (guess) of the individual manuals that came with each component in the total system.... that line could have very well been in there too. I still prefer to be within arms reach of the helm when up on plane at speed....or...for me over about 10 knots. Too much can go too wrong too fast. Even when I was going dot-to-dot on a travel log...if I was at speed, myself or someone was at the helm.....or, just out the back door with the cable remote in my hand if I went out to the cockpit.

Good point...and I wonder when/where/which court house the liability would have shifted from the Inellisteer to Raymarine, to the operator, to the guy who hauled the fuel to the marina that was running the gas engines, to the mother who gave birth to the guy who invented and patented both gas and the system. Laughing Retorical comment... Grin.

I just love my boats.
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the system at the SBS. It seems like a pretty simple straight forward way to add remote steering for either mechanical or hydraulic steering. I'm sure that the warning to use only at trolling speeds is due more to the remote controller than anything else. It's pretty much a pair of left and right buttons. Maybe a kid raised on video games could be fairly precise with it but I doubt that I could. I remember yrs ago trying to play microsoft flight simulator with just the arrow buttons on the keyboard.......not fun. Also I'm sure that it has something to do with being at any kind of speed and away from the throttle. Probably not a very good idea.
Norm

Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze, Pat, I can't comment because I made a New Year Resolution to be nice to my nephew Pat's profession in 2006. Interestingly, Intellisteer is a trade mark for New Holland's GPS driven tractor autopilot products. Guess New Holland didn't file in Canada.

Seriously, it might be a viable alternative to a second steering station and offshore CD's that can't comfortably use autopilot in big swells coming from the wrong direction. Didja find out the costs yet? Anybody else learn it at SBS?
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty neat. But do they have a wireless version? That 15 foot cable is the only thing that would stop me from buying one. Sounds like a good price but for about $1100 you can get the wireless raymarine one( I think). Cool though.

Sark

Here's the one I'm talking about

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/319883708.htm?bct=t13037503%3Bcielectronics-navigation%3Bciradar-autopilot%3Bciautopilots
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every toy has gives and takes. This system does not need hydraulic system, does not use GPS, or any other gadgets. At the show, it was $400 for a non-hydraulic system that would work on a simple boat with minimal space....like most of our C-Dory boats. Particuarly the 22s and smaller.

From $400 to the $1100 is a large jump, not including the hydraulic steering that is needed for the Raymarine system... and yes, you have no wires.... which means if you get busy with a fish or hauling something over the gunnels, and you toss the control over to someone else in the cockpit....and they miss.....your controller would then have to be retrieved....if it floats and is water proof. I know the wired remote on my Raymarine system was water proof...and tested by accident one night.... sliped coming back around the gunnels and had to grab a rail....now being the young, light weight, nimble, lanky person I am... Sad I chose to grab for the roof rails with both hands.... Yes, I lost a can of beer too... Sad but stayed on the boat.

Now going wireless....and much over the $500 range.... Those little Gator SRT or something wireless look real good, are limited to 25 hp and less....AND YOU GET speed control on the wireless....and patterns....and the ability to use reverse tooo..... all for an easy approximate $2500 range...

SO... the sky is the limit... and here are at least 3 tried and true systems from less than $500 to approaching $3,000. Go fish...and fit yer needs. I must say if buying a new larger boat (25+').... I would for sure have to bank roll it from a 2nd mortgage....and one main power and a 25hp kicker with this Gator...SRT thingy would for sure have some large potential.... But, attempting to get about 95% of the use that I had on the TC24 with the total Raymarine system, to use on my 1984, no hydraulic steering, CD18A.... the $400-$500 is looking real nice... No feedback on my 383C Hummingbird unit on another thread... I might just put both these on C-Byrd for about a grand....and hope to have a grand ol time.
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to take business from the internet, but before you buy these Marine systems you may want to check with your closest C-Dory dealer and see if he can beat the price. Sometimes there is a short term rebate connected to these internet deals that a dealer can get as well, but he won't always know about them unless you ask. That Raymarine S1000(and more Raymarine stuff) have different programs running this month, but a dealer may not notice the price update unless he's asked/ ordering one.
Same for the Humminbird. That new $400 remote pilot -Intellisteer I'm still looking up.
You guys support us in many ways and we are always looking for ways to return the favor.
Go BRATS!
John
Y-Landing
Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
At the show, it was $400 for a non-hydraulic system that would work on a simple boat with minimal space....like most of our C-Dory boats. Particuarly the 22s and smaller.

Who was offering that system for $400, Pat? Best I could find was MSRP which is roughly $550 and that didn't include shipping. The newest "about to be released" Raymarine autopilot for mechanical systems is roughly $1250 (street price) and is wireless capable so I would fully expect a simple wired remote steering system to only cost about 1/3 of that. Your $400 figure supports my guesstimate but reality sure doesn't.

Don
Byrdman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife helped me clean up while I was out of town... Yes, the room looks nicer for someone walking in...but I could put my hands on stuff with my piling system... One day when it rains....I will re-enter all the boxes of my stuff and find the Seattle Boat Show package. SENSI/Roger also got the literature on the gizmo... and the guy at the show said..."this is a great deal and for a limited time (30 or 60 days????) following the show it would go back up. I guess it was not a sales pitch to make folks hop. Still a great system it looked like to me.... and thanks for shopping it out.. I will ask Marc at Wefings to shop it to as he will be doing my retro work.

Roger....you have the stuff still?
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know yall had given up on me...but here ya go...

Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited
634 Derwent Way, Delta, B.c. Canada V3M 5P8

Tel: 604-525-0471

Individuals name on his business card: Al Campbell
E-Mail: curlingal@aol.com

IntelliSteer
Remote Steering Control
Type S - For Primary Motors

Big ol sticker in bottom left corner of brochure" Show Special" in red ink
"375.00" in black ink.

Sticker is semi-oval about 1 1/2" tall and about 3" wide.

Well...OK... holding it up to the light to see what is under the sticker as a price..and...well...it ain't no sticker...but a single page glossy slick they must have printed up for the show...

But there is the contact and pricing info.

Norm: I bet you could work this... It looks like one of those gizmo's the blue suit guys had in their hands loading pallets on the aircraft... One left button with an arrow pointing left, one right button with an arrow pointing right, below that, one button that says ON....guess what the other button says??? but ya gotta get real close...it whispers... OFF!!!!
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so....anyone else do any follow up with this guy/site or dealer on this? I gotta admit... trim tabs, all new lights and fixtures, paint supplies and labor....has kinda sorta eaten way into my "auto pilot" budget.... but... who knows... C-Byrd should be ready end of this week!!!!
Sneaks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, Pat. Emailed Big Al Campbell and he was very firm about the $550 price plus shipping from Canada and that $375 price was a factory sponsored "get acquainted" thing, not likely to be repeated. I even tried the "Senior Citizen Discount" ploy but he didn't bite.

After checking around, I'll probably settle on the Simrad AP12R or AP14R since Raymarine is dragging it's feet. Simrad's right up there in Seattle, btw.

Heck, Pat, you know as well as I do that us lard advantaged folk can do a lot of steering at slow speed simply by moving to the port or starboard side. Sad

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.... I forgot about that part going back to a mono hull fron the TC24... Heck... I could more than likely just kick the cooler to the other side...or pull er back to me with a rope...and I already have both of those.... and I would not have to "get all the way up..." Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: