The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Moisture control under v-berth mattress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Valhalla
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Moisture control under v-berth mattress Reply with quote

On my last couple outing of the year (it was rainy and cold), I ended up with a good amount of moisture under the v-berth mattress in the morning. I was able to dry it by raising the mattress but its not very convenient as I store bulky thing in there during daytime .
I just received a sample of the Den-Dry from Ravenwolf Marine, It look nice but seem a bit to easy to crush if you kneel on it and will potentially reduce its effectiveness. Anyone have experience with this product? Any other recommendation that I should consider. I want to do this right but also have a limited budget for the boat right now. Thanks for any input.

No Name; Bayliner explorer 26 2012-2015
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rooftop tent and van camping communities offer lots of resources in condensation control and mitigation. An under-mattress condensation mat is pretty typically indicated, together with ventilation (make-up and exhaust). That community also lives in the 12v world, so check them out.

Best, Mike
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our earlier SE Alaska extended cruises we had extreme condensation at times, causing our bedding in the v birth to be soaked. We solved this with Hypervent. I doubt there is still anything better for bedding moisture protection in the v birth.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypervent is the best value for the buck. There are other similar products, but generally are more expensive and do not work as well. I would extend the Hypervent up the sides of the hull on the edges of the mattress--the line the V Berth area with either back packing pads (cheap at Wal Mart" or "fish blanket" (A foam which is put between layers of fish as it is is iced in holds. We lined the entire hull of our Cal 46 with fish blanket--and it "Cured" our condensation issue. which is available in hardware stores in AK and PNW.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look into the Hypervent, I need to contact them as they do not offer shipping quote to Alaska.

Line the V Berth area with either back packing pads (cheap at Wal Mart" or "fish blanket" (A foam which is put between layers of fish as it is is iced in holds.

Bob, are you talking about side and roof or under the mattress?

Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Line the V Berth area with either back packing pads (cheap at Wal Mart" or "fish blanket" (A foam which is put between layers of fish as it is is iced in holds.

Bob, are you talking about side and roof or under the mattress?

C-Wolfe I am suggesting That you use the pads on the sides of the hull--If you want on the ceiling--the Fish blanket would look OK, but the back packing pads are usually green or blue...

On our boat, used in the lower 48, we did put the pads under the mattress also--A thin pad might help distribute the weight, if you put it over the Den-Dry. Your knee weight is probably more focused than the material you put on top of the mattress. If I was dong the top, I would also make a several layer plug to put on the inside of the hatch. In our RV's we have 3" thick pieces we put into the fan vents when in cold weather.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I like the idea if nothing els but for the hatch since it is collecting a good amount of moisture compare to anything els around. For the side of the hull, am I crazy to think of using floating floor underlayment? It's very thin, waterproof, ok insulation value and dirt cheap. They make synthetic cork which will look good
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob says, the pads are cheap & work really well for the sides. They are very easy to cut to fit. Mine are the blue. The Hypervent keeps the moisture off the mattress bottom & the pads keep it from being transferred to the mattress sides & the blankets. When we have heavy condensation it comes from the v birth top & then down behind the pads with the combination pads & Hypervent protecting the bedding. Very little moisture drips from the v birth ceiling & the pads also stop your body & things stored from picking up the moisture, when making contact with the sides in the v birth.

During extreme condensation periods we have had to lift up all the bedding plus the Hypervent & wipe up the pooled water underneath. This is a small thing compared to drying out all the bedding, while on an extended cruise.

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a long time with no cabin/V-birth moisture, but when I changed sleeping bags it started to be an issue. I looked at multiple options, and tried the blue "Yoga" pads first, the thicker ones. Helped but I was still getting moisture between the pad and the gelcoat, bottom and sides.

The Hypervent, I liked for it's lightness. Very airy, but also some very stiff points and I was concerned that it would leave scratch markings on the gelcoat over time. I went with a pad from American Floor Mats:

Quote:
Vinyl Mesh Entrance Mats are constructed of an extruded vinyl in a random loop pattern. This mat traps dirt and moisture and helps promote a safe, non-slip floor.

https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-entrance-mats/

American Floor Mats, 1-800-762-9010
152 Rollins Ave #102
Rockville, MD 20852

It is not the cheapest, but nor is it expensive, and there are a dozen colors to pick from, as well as multiple sizes. It is easy to cut with a pair of trauma scissors, or probably good shop or kitchen shears too.

The vinyl-mesh-entrance mat, and at that page you can select the "No backing" option. It is considerably softer than Hypervent, but thick and stiff enough to not compress when laying on it (obviously under the V-Birth mattress pad) and it is easy to cut. It has a flattened surface and a not so flat one. I put the flat one on top against the mattress, so the one on the gel coats would be a bit softer there. I also cut and fit the pieces to run up the sides about 6 inches to keep the mattress and bedding from touching the cabin sides and allow air flow completely throughout under the mattress pad. No more moisture. I thought the Unbacked version would be easier to clean, hang it up and hose through it, or on the boat, roll it up and put it in the cockpit and sweep up from under it and then put the roll back in. This part is for the section I have for the hall way floor "carpet". Easy on bare feet.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: We have use a product like this.... Reply with quote

https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html

In our camper and it works amazing. No more mold growth. I haven't added it to the boat yet.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: We have use a product like this.... Reply with quote

crowleykirk wrote:
https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html

In our camper and it works amazing. No more mold growth. I haven't added it to the boat yet.

That is Hypervent.

HYPERVENT AIRE-FLOW™ MOISTURE BARRIER

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the system in my boat. OSPREY has a custom 8" mattress, sitting on top of a spring looking ventilation system, called Froli. It is awesome and I would recommend it to others. Here is a link to the USA distributor: https://nickleatlantic.com
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Karl Konecny

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nowhere Fast
Photos: Nowhere Fast
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the drippy cave, dampness under the mattress syndrome and solved it by adding Vetus round portholes on the port and starboard wall of the V-berth and elevating the mattress by a adding 1/2" x 3/4" cedar slats every 4" under the mattress to allow some airflow. I open the portholes and hatch (as long as it is not raining too hard) when I sleep. Cabin windows still steam up but running the Wallas in the morning clears that.
Boater Rob

City/Region: Albany
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 18-8 Toland
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Dry-Den Reply with quote

We used this product under our vee berth on our sailboat and under the settee also. If you kneel right on the product it will compact it some. It worked really well for us and when it had the foam on top, it did not crush when crawling in. My wife said it was fairly easy to install. It stopped the condensation under the mattress and we used the boat in the winter time, spending several days onboard when the temp was in the lower 40's. When we were not on the boat we do run a small dehumidifier that sits in the sink and keeps some air flow going. We received good customer service from them too.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another who used the Hypervent under the mattress, the foam backpacker pads on the sides of the hull - from the bottom edge of the mattress to the shelf (in the CD-25), and a solar vent cut into the v-berth hatch. The foam on the sides was also nice if you happened to "back into" the fiberglass side. Disgust

We spent up to 6 months at a time onboard, and the above made a significant difference for not a lot of bucks.

Also, if it isn't too cold, putting the front hatch on the latches that keep it open just a crack is another way to help. And, running the Wallas (if you have one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: