The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Any difference between '05 and '06 25' Cruiser?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yfcrat

City/Region: kenai
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Any difference between '05 and '06 25' Cruiser? Reply with quote

Hello! Does anyone out there know what the differences are between the 2005 25' C-Dory Cruiser and the 2006 25' Cruiser? Thanks!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many photos of the 2006 models to use for reference but these would be some differences to note among the mid production 25s. Also note that some changes were made during the 2005 model run so there may be some changes seen within that year the look more like the 2004s.

The position of fresh water tank can be either in the bow or in the transom. which relates to the pump being either in the cabinet with the hot water tank for the bow model or in the transom for the transom model.

The toilet was a saltwater marine unit earlier with holding tank in the transom but that changed over to an undertank freshwater unit.

The macerator pump was behind the sink later or under the cockpit floor earlier.

The cabinets changed from wood to fiberglass structure sometime around that timeframe and most folks like the wood better.

I have also heard that the fuel tank varied from plastic to aluminum during that production timeframe.

Otherwise they should be very similarly laid out on the surface.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2005 and later boats had aluminum tanks. They raised the heighth of the dinette seats but not sure what year that was but it was after 2005. The cockpit scuppers were upsized after 2005.
richnkay

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Annalee
Photos: Annalee
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the 05 but our 06 25' cruiser had it's fresh water tank in the bow with the FW pump in the port side cabinet by the water heater. The cabinets are fiberglass. The head is a regular marine head drawing sea water to flush and discharging to a holding tank in the bilge in front of the transom. Our 100 gal. fuel tank is aluminum. Some photos in our album but I think what you can see looks like any other year 25' cruiser.
Rich

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richnkay wrote:
I am not familiar with the 05 but our 06 25' cruiser had it's fresh water tank in the bow with the FW pump in the port side cabinet by the water heater. The cabinets are fiberglass. The head is a regular marine head drawing sea water to flush and discharging to a holding tank in the bilge in front of the transom. Our 100 gal. fuel tank is aluminum. Some photos in our album but I think what you can see looks like any other year 25' cruiser.
Rich

Interesting. We have a 2007 CD-25, delivered at the end of July 2006. We were told it was the first of the 2007 model year, since we ordered it at the 2006 Seattle Boat Show. We definitely have the the Decraguard (wood) interior. It was several months after we took delivery of our boat that there was the first mention of the fiberglass cabinets/interior on the 22s and then the 25s. I wasn't aware of any 2006 boats that had the fiberglass cabinets. Not that it makes much difference, unless you are a DIY cabinet guy, and then the Decraguard is easier to modify for most folks.

I don't think C-Dory at the time was concerned with making all their changes at the new model year, and there were differences between boats of the same model year. The hull is the same. While I prefer the fresh water flush of the SeaLand toilet (and there are plenty of different opinions on head choice), most the the changes through the model years have been pretty minor.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back deck is smaller on the 05 Sad
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmitchell,

What did they move to make the back deck larger on a CD-25? I assume you mean the cockpit? Or just the splash well for the outboard mount?

Boris
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The splash well is 8-12 inches longer from the transom making the back deck smaller.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also some time about this frame, the "curtain" of Sunbrella, was changed to solid glass from the splashwell down. 12" would be a huge amount to take out of the splash well. I would love to see some comparison photos. Also later boats (probably in the 2004 to 2006 era went to dual fuel fills.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 2006-on boats have a larger cockpit via a smaller spashwell? I am looking at photos of newer boats and just don't see it. I have seen the canvas bulkhead versions but ours in a solid glass 2005 and seems to look just like Wild Blue's 2007.

Greg
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I think it is more like 2-4 inches. Mark has always been directionally and dimensionally challenged even though he does a wonderful job of woodworking and finish work around the house. There he has the benefit of a tape. I have a 2005 with the open back area and Mark's is enclosed but the same year model. My rear cockpit is definitely shorter. We'll probably be close together this weekend so will take some comparision photos. The other differences are as noted:

Bidarka (early 2005) Shiroz (Late 2005)
Water tank in V-berth Watertank under rear deck
Holding tank under rear deck Holding tank in head under toilet
Water pump in interior cabinet Water pump in rear
Waste Pump out on stern to port
Macerator out on port quarter
Water fill on port at front of cabin
Scuppers straight out transom Scuppers wind their way out
Older model Wallas (DU85??)

These are the ones that come to mind. I am sure there are others. I like the early model as the back is more open and you can see straight out the scuppers. The weight distribution is better with the water tank forward. Also the batteries (3) can be mounted below the deck on the port side in a "dry" area. The area under the hatch to starboard drains into the center area between the fuel and holding tanks where the bilge pump if located. I have since abandoned the holding tank and replaced the marine toilet with a porta potti for simplicity's sake.

Tom

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Ours is a 2007 w/ wooden cabinets, self-contained head, water tank in the stern bilge, alum fuel tank. Don't know if it's early or late.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2005 has the forward water tank and rear waste tank but also the solid glass transom. I also switched to a big porta potti and couldn't be happier with it.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I understand. For 2005 ( and one was at the Seattle Boat show,) C-Dory made a number of detailed structural changes.

First, they put in a removable cockpit floor, so they could access the fuel tank without cutting out the floor. I'm not certain what that means, but they were proud of it. Second, they enclosed the outboard transome well. Steve on Dora-Jean (2004) has the open well, and at first glance it looks the same fore and aft length to me. I like the enclosure. To complete the enclosure, cockpit drains were installed in the new aft bulkhead and they exit through a hose. Also, two shelves were installed in the enclosed space, one on each side. These where 2 batteries were installed, and they're big enough to hold a pair of golph cart batteries on each shelf/tray.

The other changes were equipment installation changes, and they were after the 2005 model.

They're all good, just different.

Boris
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring the measuring tape this weekend and try to get some answers along with some comparisons of the Tomcat.

Sounds like there was a whole lot of component mixing going in the middle model runs but some of that was possibly buyer directed. I am glad to have the water tank up front for balance but I sure could have skipped that job of cutting the waste tank to pieces and pulling it out of a small opening.

I am surprised you have wood cabinets on your 2007 when some folks have fiberglass on a 2006.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: