The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

seeking advice RE: inside fog and optimum weight distibution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: seeking advice RE: inside fog and optimum weight distibution Reply with quote

As a new owner, I am activly involved in rigging the boat for years of use.
I have two issues which I could use help with.
First is the cave and fog effect. Granted my first outings have been in near freezing conditions but humidity is an ongoing issue here in the NW and squegee use every 5 mins gets old fast.
Is a fan or two the answer? Is rain-x a partial answer? Is there another product out there?

Second is weight distribution. With a Honda 90 and 9.9 kicker on the helm side as well as house battery on the same side, the boat at rest sits unevenly in the water. With trim tabs this is not an issue when under way and all of the through hulls are still well above the water line. Still, if I wish to level things out with ballast, where fore to aft is it best to place the weight. I should point out that the water tank is empty save for a few treated inches for winter. Also, I have seen some talk about light nose weight and seek some advice in regard to the tradeoffs in this area.

Save our Sound!
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rain x works great i use it all the time /i "ve been running my hustler 26 from stony point to manhattan (30-35 mi.) with a helmet on and visor down about an inch from my face and it been in the 40s lately without rain x cant see a thing so it should work great on ur windshield.in winter i use a 12 volt defroster velcroed below the windshield in the cab of my excavator and it work pretty good to bought mine at local auto part store but there are alot of them out there hope it helps ........john
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 12 volt defroster, is this a fan? Does it use heat? Is it quiet or of the hairdryer variety?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try filling up the water tank. Or put a 160lb person on the aft dinette seat and see if that puts you on an even keel. That's about the weight of 20gal of water. I wouldn't put weight forward, midships is the best place.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda works like a hair dryer has a fan one speed on .really not much to it .its quiet small and light /just plug it in ...and it works pretty good .try to find an auto or rv sccessory catalog online there should be a ton to pick from /////////john
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Regarding fogged-up windows Reply with quote

One of the best tips I got on C-Brats for anti-fogging windows is the use of a little dishwashing detergent, only a drop on a piece of paper towel, to wipe down the windows on the inside. This works really well, and it's such a simple solution. I know it sounds to easy, but try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

I experience the same condensation issues as you mention here in Alaska. There are several effective methods I have found to deal with the problem. The condensation is caused by a temperature differential and lack of air movement. Warm on the inside, cold on the outside + moisture (breath, cooking, wet clothes, etc) = condensation.

Several C-Dory owners have painted the inside of their boats with ceramic impregnated paint, this adds to the R-Value of the boat and reduces the condensation. I did not go this route due to high cost.

The method I used is extremely effective and more in line with my wallet. I added 2 speed 12 V fans that I direct towards the front windows while underway that blows moisture off the windows. I added a 12V combo solar vent on the hatch in the v-berth. I operate this at night to exhaust moisture and increase airflow. I also use the Wallas stove/heater that is not cheap, but came with my boat, it exhausts to the exterior of the boat, so it adds no moisture to the interior as a alcohol or propane stove would. This combination has effectively eliminated condensation issues in my boat. I wake up on cold Alaskan mornings warm and dry with clear windows.

Good luck.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Steve - old computer fans work well as defrost fans and are cheap and not very noisy.

________
Dave
Capital Sea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to each of you.
Dish soap, full water tank, mid ships weight, 12v /solar vent all good ideas.
I looked at one of your photo albums and got a good look at the 12v 2 speed fans. These look like what I am wanting. They look like they are mounted at the base of a flexible neck. Can you tell me brand and where you got them?

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: