The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Travel to Mexico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Travel to Mexico Reply with quote

Just for a caution, this is one of several headlines/articles appearing in the San Diego newspaper lately:

Kidnappings of U.S. citizens on rise

Sophisticated Mexican groups plot abductions

By Tony Manolatos
STAFF WRITER

Organized, well-financed and violent Mexican kidnapping cells are targeting a growing number of U.S. citizens visiting communities popular with San Diegans and other California residents. Last year, at least 26 San Diego County residents were kidnapped and held for ransom in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach or Ensenada, local FBI agents overseeing the cases said yesterday.

I certainly wouldn't leave your group until you're well down into Baja. Previous to this they kidnapped a family coming back from the Baja 1000 and kept their truck and trailer. the bandits posed as policemen. Mexico is not as user friendly as it was a decade ago, especially up by the border.

Feel free to comment if you know something else, either way.

Boris
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Rosarito Beach in 1966 and it was dangerous then.
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Leaving this morning... Reply with quote

Well...I'm leaving this morning for Baja. Planning to pass through Tijuana on our way to a fishing village San Bruno between Santa Rosalia and Mulege. Hope to return home in 15 days. Wish me luck. Life is too short for me to turn back now. Besides, the guy I'm traveling with is UGLY Exclamation Wink

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori and I are meeting up in San Diego with our RV caravan on Sunday, leaving on Monday for Cabo. Hopefully there is safety in numbers. But it sounds like a solo trip with the boat is going to have to wait until the Mexican authorities solve this problem. It's got to hurt their economy to have this kind of news appearing repeatedly.

By the way, thanks to all my worrying about the Siskiyou Pass snow, including chains, etc., we drove over it in bright sunshine and no moisture on the road at all! We're now near Bakersfield and will be in San Diego tomorrow afternoon.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: