The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stern Mounted Flag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Stern Mounted Flag Reply with quote

I bought a flag and clips and installed it on my anchor light. Unfortunately, it makes a suprising amount of noise flapping around on top of the roof.

Since I really want a flag on the boat (and the one I have drives me crazy), now I am thinking about installing one on the stern. They make a surface mounted socket that sticks up about two inches, and a recessed socket. I think the recessed socket looks better, but it is open on the bottom so water could get into the lazarette through the hole. The water would probably fall on the wire bundle inside the rubber boot and behind the battery. The recessed socket would also require drilling a big hole.

Any thoughts on the best way to do this? Is the potential water intrusion into the rear of the starboard lazarette a big deal? It would probably drop straight down into the bilge area. The surfact mounted version would be functional, it just would not look as good.

Thanks for any input.

Rob
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the surface mounted one. It looks just fine when you have the flag in it. Why look for trouble? As far a the noisy clips, just tape over them and they will quiet down.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both the flush mounted and on top of the deck flag holders, plus a 3rd type I made up myself pictured below. This gets the flag pole holder off the deck and on the transom--out of the way. I use a 45 degree SS rail deck to hand rail holder. The "flag pole" is a 1" SS tubing and I drill holes for the "rings" which hold the flag. It is not a pretty as the teak pole, but more functional.

Below is the actual fitting, they are available in 30, 45 and 60 degrees. For a straight transom, the 30 degree fitting would probably be better. The base fittings are either rectangular or round, and 7/8" to 1" diameter.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. What is on the top end of the pole? It looks like some sort of finished point.

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a "point" I got this piece of SS tubing from a friend who took pieces off boats at salvage--and this was a "cap" on the end. I have seen these in other places. I have also made pieces of teak, which fit over the end of a SS Tubing. You can drill a 1" hole and epoxy the teak end piece or you turn a piece on a lathe and inset it into the end of the tubing.

A search on the internet shows multiple SS end caps for SS tubing.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: flag Mount Reply with quote

Rob, Since we don't fish and our boat came to us with lots of rod holders that we don't need for that purpose, I use a teak pole that is mounted into a rod holder on the cross bar, just above the aft wall of the cockpit. The Rod holder is mounted at a nice rake, and the teak pole is shimmed with, (yes) an ordinary plastic shopping bag. Makes it fit real snug, yet pops out easily at 2000 hours for the Yacht Ensign retirement.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: