The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

DNA sequencing and DNA array lab tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: DNA sequencing and DNA array lab tour Reply with quote

Last year I gave visitors a tour of my lab at the University of Washington. Upon request, I will do the same again this year.

Here's the deal:

For those attending the C-Brats Locks Cruise on this coming Friday (Jan 25th): After departing the cruise at AGC-E dock in Lake Union, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take the bus back down to Pier 57. The AGC-E dock in Lake Union is within walking distance to my lab which is at 960 Republican. Here's a map on how to walk from the AGC-E dock to my lab.

If you won't be taking the locks cruise, you can simply meet me at the lab around 3:30PM on Friday. There is pay parking in the lot on the North side of our building (enter from Mercer street). There is also some street parking in the area. On either the north side or the south side of the building, there is a phone - if you dial the number for the Center for Array Technology, someone in my lab will let you in.

What will the tour consist of?
1) I'll give a brief (15 min max) talk about DNA, genes, and biology and how this relates to what we do (DNA sequencing and the measurement of gene activity).
2) We'll see about $2M of equipment that is used to sequence DNA and measure gene activity.
3) I'll show you our latest and greatest DNA sequencer ($500,000) and give you a rough idea of how it works. We'll discuss the sequencing we are doing of an oral bacterium and the apple genome (OF COURSE the apple genome should be sequenced in Washington state).
4) I'll show you the equipment and "microarrays" we use to measure gene expression data.
5) We'll have some snacks. Cheese, crackers and a drink.

Afterwards, I can shuttle people (4 at a time) back to Pier 57 (if you parked there) or to the Hawthorne hotel (I'll be going to the C-Brat party).

If you are interested, please PM me. Also let me know if you will be on the locks cruise or coming by car directly to the lab. That will allow me to plan for the appropriate # of people and (hopefully) coordinate transportation back to Pier 57 for any who need it.

My lab is located between Terry avenue on the east, Westlake on the W, Mercer on the North and Republican on the S. The address is 960 Republican Ave. I can reasonably accommodate a dozen or so.

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
I would like to take your tour. I will drive over.

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot! We will be on the road to Seattle while you're touring! Drat

Caty
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to miss this, Roger. I was all excited until I realized I have to go to a board meeting of Kitsap Dog Parks. And we only have two a year -- what are the odds?!?
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are interested if it works into our schedule. Laughing
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: