Fogged windows.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: water spots Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
It contains a lot of relatively free oxygen radicals ...

Now you've gone and done it, Joe. If some of the hydrogen fuel proponent eco-freaks pitch in with your free oxygen radicals, things could heat up pretty quickly. We'll have freaky radicals really steaming up the place. Crook
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote we name Joe (AKA Sea Wolf) as Mr. Wizard.

Are you sure you haven't done a TV show with kids and common chemicals around the home?

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a home made solution for window fogging.

Computer fans come in different sizes, draw very little power and cost less than $20.00 each. The bracket shown came from a transom mount for a depth transducer.

(Please excuse the dust, the boat was in storage.)

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ecofan Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Another way to defog is to use an Ecofan on the Wallas when you are at anchor or at the dock. It takes a bit, but there is no current draw on the battery except for the Wallas. We use ours in the boat and the wood stove at home. Ours came from Cabella's.

My wife’s folks had one of these Ecofans on thier wood stove when we visting over the holladays. My first thought was, hay-this would work on the Wallas.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady wrote:
I vote we name Joe (AKA Sea Wolf) as Mr. Wizard.

Are you sure you haven't done a TV show with kids and common chemicals around the home?

No, I haven't done a TV show, but spent 35 years plying the "Magic" trade in high school science classes. It's part of the expected circus act! The kids once drew a mushroom cloud on the back of my lab coat, no less.

When I put my lab coat on, there's a kind of transformation that occurs, kind of like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. Nice to enjoy multiple personalities. It's better than drugs! Ha!

When I want to think up a clever solution for a problem on the C-Dory, I put on the lab coat, go out to the boat, and think up ideas, then take off the coat and look realistically at the solutions to see if they're practical and workable. This should be Standard Operating Procedure for weapons designers and engineers. Now those guys have a fun job! (With apologies to the Pacifist people).

Se Ya' in Seattle!

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone clue me in to what the functional differences are between these various Ecofans?

Thanks!

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Caframo Model 747 fan. On the link it's shown as a permanently wired fan. The good thing is that it uses 0.6 amps and puts out a good stream (2 speeds.) Also, for those of you who are so inclined, it has rubber blades. One can purchase replacement blades at West Marine, since apparently I'm so inclined.

I mounted it on a 6" square piece of wood and put a cigarette plug on the end. When we're moving, it's always on, and keeps the windows clear. When we're at anchor, we can run it all night for only 5 amp-hours.

Boris
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those Ecofans placed right on the Wallas burner plate with the lid up?

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dawg wrote:

That was my question -- why is the Ecofan needed when the Wallas has a fan in the lid?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

That was my question -- why is the Ecofan needed when the Wallas has a fan in the lid?

Apparently more circulation is needed than provided by the Wallas fan. I know Moose has one and can better answer this question.

I believe the Wallas heater fan is operated when the lid is down, though I'm not a Wallas owner, nor do I play one on TV*, or expect to enjoy one in Hell someday! (I'm hoping that sweet revenge is saved for those who over-engineered that masterpiece!}

Fun jokinin' with ya"!!! (* It's all your fault, Jim. See what you started?!?)

Joe. Thumbs Up Teeth
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

Brent and Dixie loaned us their Ecofan when we were in the PNW last summer. It uses less power, since the fan on the Wallas isn't running AND you get better heat distribution. Yes, you put it right on the glass plate of the Wallas; after a short time, it starts turning and does a great job of distributing the warm air through the cabin. When you're at anchor and trying to conserve battery power, it's very functional and efficient.

Best wishes,
Jim

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several different factors are involved in window fogging.

1 - The moisture in your breath, sweat, and cooking/coffee must be cleared from the cabin. Just blowing wet air around is not the answer. Try to set up a natural flow of air from low to high by opening windows a bit, drawing wet air out and drier air into the cabin. If you are moving, crack the front center window and the two front side windows to draw outside air across the inside of the windshield. Also open the back cabin windows a crack to eliminate any moist air back there.

2 - While most soaps do have surface tension reducing components in them, the bath soap bars also have ingredients that are 'thicker' and will hold the surface tension ingredient in place longer than liquid soaps. Take a bar of good bath soap, lather it up and very thickly wipe it onto the windows. Then use a very dry cloth or paper towel or keenex to just wipe the streaks off. That coating will last longer than liquid applications. I , too, use Rain X, but the thick soap application is more resistant to fogging to my experience.

3 - Warm air holds more moisture and the cold temperature of the cabin glass precipitates moisture more than a warm glass. I have tried the 12V defroster fans in heavy fogging/cold situations and they barely keep a small hole open. However, if you turn on the Wallas and blow the Wallas' hot air onto the windows, they will fog less. The Wallas moisture from combustion is vented outside so it will not fog your interior, but portable propane heaters will fill the cabin with moisture from combustion.

So... summary would be to put on a coat, crack the windows, soap the windows, and blow hot air on the windows.

If you have a Honda i2000 genset aboard, get a portable room A/C unit and turn it on "Dehumidify" and your problem is solved!

John
Alasgun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Fogged Windows Reply with quote

In the recent Passagemaker I came across this site of interest.
www.dryzone.ca , they offer a good looking system which utilizes twin descant trays coupled with some low energy fans. The claims are great but so is the price. Currently these run into the $toomuch range.
(over $4,000) My initial contact with the company went well, quick response, good info etc. They tell me that next year a smaller version is in the works and in 2010 an even smaller unit (more appropriately sized) will be offered.
That leaves lot's of time for fan debates Wink
Mike
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Doryman wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

Apparently more circulation is needed than provided by the Wallas fan. I know Moose has one and can better answer this question.

We use the Model 800 Original Ecofan, the two-bladed model. The built-in fan on the Wallas is far more efficient at moving air, but it is noisy. When anchored overnight or for any longer period of time we use the Ecofan. It is dead quiet; all you hear is the pulse of the Wallas fuel pump. We put it on the coolest part of the Wallas, the right-hand edge of the hot plate and have it blow across the ceramic surface. We recommend the Ecofan highly and would not be without it.
Al

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: