The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette? Reply with quote

I'm considering placing my house battery in the Port lazarette along with a wash-down pump and hose; think there’s enough room.

A Perko duel battery switch would be placed in the starboard lazarette with the cranking battery; I want to keep the system as simple as possible-everything tucked away/dry and out of the way.
So wondering if this is a good idea or do I need to re-think the process. Rolling Eyes

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking

Last edited by breausaw on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette? Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
I'm considering placing my house battery in the Port lazarette along with a wash-down pump and hose; think there’s enough room.
This second battery would also be dedicated for wash-down.
A Perko duel battery switch would be placed in the starboard lazarette with the cranking battery; I want to keep the system as simple as possible-everything tucked away/dry and out of the way.
So wondering if this is a good idea or do I need to re-think the process. Rolling Eyes

Smile Dealer installed both batteries and switch in the starboard lazarette which works out fine except it's a little more of a chore getting them out. My C22 had a factory installed shelf for the batteries and it has plenty of venting which is needed for charging. My port lazarette is "water tight" and it's set up as a live well. My water pump for the wash down is located under the stove and the connections for hose is in the starboard gunnel. My was down is taken from the fresh water tank, (we're salt water boaters). At the end of each outing, I hook up the wash down to the motor and drain the watertank thru the motor, thus always keep fresh water in my tank. Just to be sure, I always put a few ounces of bleach when filling the water tank. CoolSmile

breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette? Reply with quote

[/quote]

Quote:
Smile Dealer installed both batteries and switch in the starboard lazarette which works out fine except it's a little more of a chore getting them out. My C22 had a factory installed shelf for the batteries and it has plenty of venting which is needed for charging. My port lazarette is "water tight" and it's set up as a live well. My water pump for the wash down is located under the stove and the connections for hose is in the starboard gunnel. My was down is taken from the fresh water tank, (we're salt water boaters). At the end of each outing, I hook up the wash down to the motor and drain the watertank thru the motor, thus always keep fresh water in my tank. Just to be sure, I always put a few ounces of bleach when filling the water tank. CoolSmile

If I’m able to get both batteries in the starboard side that’d be great, but don’t won’t to draw from fresh water for wash down.
Think both lazarettes are water tight on top, at least mine are. I’d guess adequate venting is achieved by having them open on the underside.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older 22's did not have "air tight" lazarette compartments, but they were splash proof.

I wonder why you want to dedicate a "house" battery to wash down? Generally the house battery is used for the stove, lights, electronics and any pumps. This way, the engine start battery can not be run down accidently, plus the electronics are spared the voltage drop and surges which occur with engine start up. The batteries are connected with Voltage Sensative relalys (VSR) or switches. This is a very time proven method and works well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The older 22's did not have "air tight" lazarette compartments, but they were splash proof.

I wonder why you want to dedicate a "house" battery to wash down? Generally the house battery is used for the stove, lights, electronics and any pumps. This way, the engine start battery can not be run down accidently, plus the electronics are spared the voltage drop and surges which occur with engine start up. The batteries are connected with Voltage Sensative relalys (VSR) or switches. This is a very time proven method and works well.

Sorry, what I ment is along with being dedicated as a house battery it would also have a direct line to the wash down pump. Or I could just run a line over to the Perko switch.
Hay, I'm new at this stuff Embarassed
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette? Reply with quote

[quote="breausaw"]I'm considering placing my house battery in the Port lazarette along with a wash-down pump and hose; think there’s enough room.

I've got two group 24 house batteries in my port lazarette so I'm sure there's plenty of room. I don't think I'd put the pump in there though, I'd prefer it under the sink plenty of room there and easy access to water supply and power.

breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: wash-down & 2nd bat in port lazarette? Reply with quote

Quote:
I've got two group 24 house batteries in my port lazarette so I'm sure there's plenty of room. I don't think I'd put the pump in there though, I'd prefer it under the sink plenty of room there and easy access to water supply and power.

If I can fit another battery in my starboard laz where my one cranking battery is now, I still think the port laz is a good place for a wash down; I’d never use it for a live bait tank-not for the kind of fishing I’d do in Alaska waters.
You’re the second fellow who has placed their wash down under the sink, seems like an unlikely place if you need that space for cruising supplies and provisions. I guess if you tie into the fresh water that’s a good place; I’d be putting a sea cock next to the drain plug for seawater.
The boat will be wash down with fresh water after every use.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Fishtales, I had the starter battery and switch in the starboard lazarette and two house batteries in the port lazarette. I removed the drain plug from the bottom of the port lazarette and had an additional covered opening to the engine well.
Damn-- I had that boat set up nice Evil or Very Mad
I will do the same with the new boat.

edit-- My raw water wash down was the same as Fran Sea's- located in the starboard gunnel

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Sorry I miss understood the use of the second battery. Yes, you can put a fuse, and a switch in the wiring from the second (house) battery to the wash down pump. Many people put the wash down pump below the water line, to make priming easier. The diaphragm type of pumps do not have the problems with running dry, which the vane type of pump has, so you might be able to place the pump in the physical location. But since you want a mesh filter before the pump, and there will be water connections, I would feel better having the pump in the bilge area, and the battery in a dry area. Also when putting a thru hull in the transom, rember two things: first you need to be sure that any wood or foam in the transom core next to the thru hull, is removed and replaced with epoxy/filler. Second that when the boat is on a plane, you may not be able to pull in water. (this may not be important if you will only use the washdown when at low speeds or at rest.) This is why the usual thru hull for washdowns is in the bottom of the hull (which also has some disadvantages with a trailered boat)
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sorry, what I ment is along with being dedicated as a house battery it would also have a direct line to the wash down pump. Or I could just run a line over to the Perko switch.
Hay, I'm new at this stuff Embarassed[/quote]

CoolSmile All electrical connections on "The Fran Sea" are made thru the perko battery switch with the EXCEPTION of the stove which needs a cool down period to prevent fires and thus you can't acidentially shut it off when it's still very hot Cry
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feed back; I value everyone’s knowledge and experience.

Here’s a thought, has anyone ever come up with a plug for the transom that would double as a seawater pickup for a wash down pump, or would this be stepping into the danger zone?
Perhaps someone makes one of these doohickeys? One could modify a seacock so it can be secured from outside the transom with a locknut preventing it from leaking?
I know the dang robber plug is not always leak proof when not adjusted properly or has been installed improperly.
If there’s a way to get around drilling another hole in the transom it’s a positive thing.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allthough it could be done, I would think that combining a drain plug and water pickup is not a good idea. I always leave the plug out of my boat when it is on the trailer, and this would mean moving the tubing which connects to the washdown pump each time. You also want to close all thru hulls when you leave the boat in the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: