SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at an early model Angler that had hatches for storage under the v-berth. There is significant space there but I think the newer boats have the area filled with foam. I don't know when they started doing that. It would be a trade-off of storage vs having some flotation.
Steve
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dog, I'm almost certain that RED FOX tackled this project. I think he may have installed a water tank up there as well. I searched but could'nt find it. He was a prominent member here awhile back but now has his own web-site called Sound Dreams. I think there is a link to it on the home page. Pete

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogon,

Prior to ordering our 22' Cruiser we asked the factory about floatation. They stated that the V-Berth contained enough foam to keep the bow of the boat above water (even with twin motors) should the boat take on water. The factory stated that there were no Coast Guard regulations that required this for a 22' recreation boat, but smaller boats (16' as I remember) did have to have this. I'm not sure when they started doing this. Red Fox did a great job opening his V-Berth up and putting water tanks up there. He also takes his inflatable with him which should provide for an emergency escape if he ever tags a submerged shipping container or such.

"Chivita" Dave
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon
I've got an '88 cruiser and it has two, four inch inspection hatches in the v-berth. There is an incredible amount of space under there. I've checked at West Marine for larger access hatches, they carry two different brands. Each stand up about 1/2" above the deck. My concern is sleeping. Is that 1/2" going to be felt under the cushion. Guess I can lay some plywood under there and find out

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dogon, by moving both your water tank and your batteries up into that space you would then free up the areas that you currently are using for water and battery storage. In our cruiser, those areas are prime real estate. I wonder how that would affect the balance of the boat? Might make it a bit prone to broaching in a following sea, but if you had an electric water pump you could empty the water tank pretty quick. Sure sounds like a tempting project to me!
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.3*20=166# plus two batteries at 30# a piece, thats 220# forward. I would be very cautious of putting that much weight forward.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the 1/2" lump for the inspection hatch under a mattress, you could cut 1/2" plywood to fit the v-berth area and cut a hole for the hatches. That way it would be flush!! Laughing
CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting to me as my 2004 CD 19 has a large flush hatch forward that provides a huge area for storage. I just assumed that the 22 was the same. The 19 has floatation that exceeds that of the 22. I believe that boats 19 feet and under have to float upright when swamped, but over 19, there is no floatation requirement. Seems odd.
I don't know what I would do without the storage under the v-berth-I can pack a bunch of stuff in there. It is a bit hard to get to, but not bad. The hatch is the same as the hatches under the seats. They are Bomar inspection hatches, about 10" by 20". Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
wannabe owner

City/Region: Santiago, Dominican Republic
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a new lurker (and non C-Dory owner) could add an observation re: putting the batteries under the V-berth have you considered the off gassing of the batteries? (Or do these batteries not have this problem?)

I live full time in the Dominican Republic where thanks to our ghastly power system we depend a great deal on invertors and generators. (Right now my house has a 2.5 KW Trace invertor with 16 golf cart batteries and a 10 K Denyo diesel generator. We are getting 4 to 6 hours of street power a day.) On all the projects I have been involved in down here over the last 10 years we had to be careful on the siting of the invertor and not put it directly over the batteries to avoid corrosion of electrical components. Old wives tale? I don't know.

Anyway, my two cents. I took my wife to Vancouver Island in June and we got bit BAD by the gunkholing bug. I've even picked out the name of my boat, "La Orilla" which in Spanish means the "edge" and the edges of things is what we have always loved. (We spent 10 years running over 5,000 miles of rivers and I was a certified white water raft guide and you don't get more edges than on a river!)

Thanks for your patience and I really enjoy checking in on this board.

Steve

P.S. I have lots of questions re: what boat, options, etc but am waiting until I can see more clearly what the future holds. But I am sure it holds a C-Dory!
wannabe owner

City/Region: Santiago, Dominican Republic
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great. Now I see that the board has me down as a 16' angler owner. Let me repeat, I don't own a boat. But if I do it would be a toss-up right now between the 22 and the 25 Cruiser. We do hear the Inside Passage calling. But the future is murky ...

Thanks again,
Steve

PS Now how can I clean up this profile on the side? I'm a technological Luddite.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannabe owner wrote:
I've even picked out the name of my boat, "La Orilla" which in Spanish means the "edge" and the edges of things is what we have always loved.

Sweet. What a great name, made neater by the reason for it.

Dominican Republic, huh? Good chance we will have a bunch of questions for you, too. Fascinating. Thanks for signing on.

If you click on the link called "Profile" at the top of the main page (as long as you are logged in), you should be able to edit your personal info. If you have any problems at all, just let us know and Bill or I can change your info for you.

Now then, the change I would really like to make to your profile is to add a link to the album full of pictures of your new boat! So, let's get to shopping!!

Good to have you here. Have fun, and don't be shy with the questions.

Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL u-gize crack me up "used to be a member here" (I'll get ya fer that one when we come down this winter) HA HA HA!! HE HE HE.....

Just a little more thought on the whole matter...

That contraption on my stern is what helps counter the extra weight that I carry in the bow container. Old RedFox is so damn heavy all the time, but the weight is balanced out well an in my experience, C-Dorys handle weight extremely well! Best little work horses out there - (mustangs they is!)

I will get around to posting some pix of it soon on my site where I can post it in a big-ol collage! If old Bill or TyBoo get me learned up enough, I'll be glad to post some collages right here in the Pub again....

OK, good discussion folks... I'm out------POOF**

I'll be back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: