HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Calendars????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Boat Calendars???? Reply with quote

Has anyone run into a good 2008 boat calendar? I'm not having any luck finding anything beyond lighthouses, sailboats, or megayachts. Small powerboaters seem to be under represented.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make our own...C-Dory calender ? There are sure enough fine pictures in our albums..... Maybe the factory might even be interested in developing a calender ............sure would be good advertising.

Joel
SEA3PO
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's ours...

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
Why not make our own...C-Dory calender ? There are sure enough fine pictures in our albums..... Maybe the factory might even be interested in developing a calender ............sure would be good advertising.

Joel
SEA3PO

We used to get this request frequently when we were in the studio. Even though there are plenty of places doing calendars from your photos (usually for around $25 for 12 images plus a cover), in order to do one so you can resell them, the print houses are going to have minimum orders (like around 5000 or so to get a decent price per). That's a hefty investment upfront with the idea that you'll be able to sell them... or for someone like C-Dory to plunk down the bucks.

Corsair (the trimaran sailboat company) considered this a few years ago, and contacted me for a price. Because we had one of their boats at the time, I really wanted to make it happen... even at my cost, they considered it too much as a promotional item (and I don't blame them). Small boat manufacturers generally don't have pockets that are that deep for "give aways."

At that time, they had about 2,000 boats that had been produced... ever. Figure at best, half would be interested in actually purchasing a calendar. Add another 1000 for "wanna-be" interest... and you still have thousands of left over calendars. Confused Hard to make those numbers work out.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At www.arraich.com I found templates to make my own using Photoshop Elements v. 5, which doesn't come with its own as some previous versions had. I put together a 2008 Lake Superior Calendar using twelve of our own photos. I had a blast doing it and sharing it with friends.
Al

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim & Joan,
Nice Calendar. Lake Powell? I Really enjoy your photos Thumbs Up Thumbs Up . Thanks for sharing. I too, would like to see a C-Dory calendar.
Happy New Year,
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is a great place to do these. I just use the online program.

Julie
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Jim, why don't you walk us through creating the calendar in Photoshop 101? I have CS2 on the iMac, played around with it a bit after your intial post on PS 101, my son Barrett (who uses PS daily in his job) showed me a few things, but I really am a dunce with it...would love to be able to produce a "simple" card or calendar or something...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Sorry, this got posted twice, no frickin' X for delete...where the heck is it, why is there an X for delete some times and not others?]
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a great calendar (18 month) of all our Kodiak memories before we moved down here. I just uploaded all my pics to the Walmart site and the finished product was top notch. I think it cost around 20 bucks for the 18 month one. I added captions and was able to move the pics around until I got the result I wanted. Very user friendly site. It arrived very quickly as well.
Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
So, Jim, why don't you walk us through creating the calendar in Photoshop 101? I have CS2 on the iMac, played around with it a bit after your intial post on PS 101, my son Barrett (who uses PS daily in his job) showed me a few things, but I really am a dunce with it...would love to be able to produce a "simple" card or calendar or something...

OK, here it is: Photoshop 102, creating a card or calendar

* Decide the size you want the project to be; in this case I wanted an 8.5x11" calendar. Open a new file, 8.5" wide, 11" high, 300 dpi. Select "All" (you will see a dotted line around the whole file). Go to Edit>Fill, and select Foreground Color (be sure you have the color of the background already in your foreground). You now have a solid color file. With a contrast color in the background selection, go to Edit>Stroke. Set the width for 20 pixels, choose the background color, and select Location: Inside. You now have a solid color with a contrasting stripe all around it. If you want to dress it up a bit, go to Filter>Texture, and pick a texture to use on the solid color (there are plenty to choose from).

* I got the dates from a template in iPhoto (a Mac program), but there are plenty of 12 month date set-ups available on-line; this way, you don't have to insert every date in every column. Copy and paste those onto another layer. This will likely be black numbers on a while background. Go to your "magic wand" tool and select the background of this layer, and use the same technique as above to make it any color you choose. Size this layer to fit the file; to to Edit>Transform>Scale and you can make it any height or width... leave room for your photo.

* Select the photo you want in the calendar. Size it to fit the space in your file. Again, select "All" and stroke it with the same color as the contrast (background color), width 15 (or whatever size pleases you). Copy and paste that file into your calendar file.

* You can add the year or title by using your text tool.

This is another project that takes longer to type than to do. All of the above can be done in just a very few minutes, and you have a custom calendar, ready to be printed on your home printer or taken to your local photofinisher for an enlargement. If your local photofinisher only makes 8x10, you should size the file to that instead of 8.5x11 from the beginning.

You can use this same technique to make greeting cards, just size appropriately... if you do a 3.5x8 file, you can put three cards on a sheet of 8x10 stock.

Now, if you don't want to go through all the steps, you can take your image to a photofinisher and they will likely have a template for a calendar; most of the on-line places have these available, as well. I prefer to make projects that color coordinate with my images - not something available from the local photofinisher. However you choose to make it, you can also laminate the calendar (Kinkos) and it will be waterproof on your boat! Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim

OK, Pat, I have now given several Photoshop lessons at NO CHARGE... I assume that we will be able to come to you for free legal advice, right? Cool
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about free beer? Oh, wait, David and I have already been providing that for five years...so, as you know, free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!

JamesTXSD wrote:

Best wishes,
Jim

OK, Pat, I have now given several Photoshop lessons at NO CHARGE... I assume that we will be able to come to you for free legal advice, right? Cool
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
How about free beer?

Free beer? Well, you did give me free MEAT on our visit to the Crab Palace! Mr. Green And, some mighty fine friendship with no strings attached. OK, forget the free legal advice. But, there is still the matter of the 5 gallons of clean fresh water we provided in the Gulf Islands. Yeah, I know... see you in court! Twisted Evil

And, to keep this on-topic, the date of that water transaction was July 25, 2007... which I know because of our calendar! Cool

Best wishes,
Jim
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then! The MEAT, when you were expecting / dreading seafood at the Crab Palace (which is NOT a restaurant!) makes us even! And we surely did appreciate that fresh water in the Gulf Islands! And there is no charge whatsoever for the friendship - we truly are delighted with the time we were able to spend together with you and Joan!
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elements includes free calendar templates. Ver 6 is $62 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UKBIEC/ref=nosim/tirebouchon-20

Best price I have seen is $49 with no rebate.
m2cw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: