HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Racor filter and fuel color

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcguy2u

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: "No Dory" - a long story
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Racor filter and fuel color Reply with quote

I'm working my way through all the systems on this 10 year old 23' Wellcraft Walkaround (I named this boat the "No Dory" which is another story for which there is a large thread on this board). I have been tempted to inspect the bottom of the fuel tank for signs of problems/junk and this morning I was following all the fuel lines and stumbled across the hidden Racor Filter system.

I have never added any fuel to the tank (I would guess that the tank has less than 5 gallons in it - it's a 100 gallon tank) - only had it for a month now. Had it on the water twice for twenty minutes each time as part of the shakedown - no surprises so far. The Johnson 200 runs the boat at 45+MPH - I have never actually let it top out.

When I drained the filter into a clear container, the fuel (gas) was clear, but was rose colored - my 5 gallon fuel tanks that I keep around, show that the current color of gasoline is clear, almost like water. No water or debris.

Anyone care to make a recommendation or comment about where to go or what to do, if anything, in this case. Inspecting the tank doesn't appear to be a simple process I just want to get the boat in good running condition and keep it that way.

Many thanks - you guys are a great group,

Nick
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Racor filter and fuel color Reply with quote

pcguy2u wrote:
I'm working my way through all the systems on this 10 year old 23' Wellcraft Walkaround (I named this boat the "No Dory" which is another story for which there is a large thread on this board). I have been tempted to inspect the bottom of the fuel tank for signs of problems/junk and this morning I was following all the fuel lines and stumbled across the hidden Racor Filter system.

I have never added any fuel to the tank (I would guess that the tank has less than 5 gallons in it - it's a 100 gallon tank) - only had it for a month now. Had it on the water twice for twenty minutes each time as part of the shakedown - no surprises so far. The Johnson 200 runs the boat at 45+MPH - I have never actually let it top out.

When I drained the filter into a clear container, the fuel (gas) was clear, but was rose colored - my 5 gallon fuel tanks that I keep around, show that the current color of gasoline is clear, almost like water. No water or debris.

Anyone care to make a recommendation or comment about where to go or what to do, if anything, in this case. Inspecting the tank doesn't appear to be a simple process I just want to get the boat in good running condition and keep it that way.

Many thanks - you guys are a great group,

Nick

Probably has Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in it (red in color) or 2 stroke oil?? If it runs fine & no crap in the bowl on the Racor I would not worry Mr. Green Beer Put a new filter on it & watch the bowl for water(if it is a bowl type)

Last edited by tsturm on Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.....What ya got is gas that hasn't paid it's State and Federal.... it's sold for off-road use only...tractors, boats and other off road fuel uses.... I don't exactly know where they got it..... All I can buy here in California is off-road diesel... but there is off-road gas... all dyed red so it's easy for the police to spot it.... and give you a hell of a ticket if they find it in your car...

Joel
SEA3PO
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every state includes motor boats from the motor fuels tax exemption -- see Wisconsin for example which came up when I googled the law on off road use. Guess they use some of the state revenue for waterways and DNR.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Chester where I live, every summer the CHP sets up a check-point for diesel vehicles....they stop all trucks, cars and pick-ups that are diesel powered...... I love it... when I roll up in my Diesel powered Model A Ford roadster and they flag me through..... I guess they just can't imagine a diesel in an old car.....Ha ! I don't use that red diesel fuel because some day some CHP with a good ear will stop me...and dip my tank....and the stick better not come up red..... even a small trace of the dye will make the stick go red..... best not chance it.. I do buy a bunch of the off-road diesel for my tug and kabota tractor...that's legal.

Joel
SEA3PO
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW:

80/87 octane aviation fuel is red and contains lead. If it is leaded avgas, you shouldn't have a problem. For two years to get around the ethynol issue, I've run 100LL avgas (colored blue) and the Honda seems to love it

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Fuel color Reply with quote

I believe that the fuel sold in British Columbia is dyed as well. Perhaps the boat has been hanging out north of the border at times, eh...
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State Patrol in Washington tried giving a friend of mine a ticket for his diesel being red. But just before testing it he pulled out a can of Transmission fluid and dumped it in his tank. Many people use Type F transmission fluid in their trucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: