The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Engine repair and maintenance class
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregw

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volsman wrote:
The US/ Canada Power Sq in your area has a engine maintainance course available. You will have to join the Sq to take it; however. Just check with them.

Thanks Volsman, I never thought to check with that group, I'll report back on what I find.
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new Honda BF90D shop manual and while it does a good job of telling you how to do things and check things, it doesn't go into any of the theory of operation. Something like, you turn the key on this happens, you go to start, this happens, it is idling this is going on, etc. At the system level the shop manual is a lot of data but not much information.
38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregw:

I think the previous positive posts have given you some good direction as you plan for your voyage. My only additional suggestion would be that after you have the shop manual, and have begun to learn some servicing basics, you search the C-Brat archives, and watch the posts from members who have similar power plants, and who appear fairly knowledgable. Contact them by e-mail or private message, and see if they would be willing to give you their cell phone numbers, and take calls from you as needed so that you can get second or third opinions while getting ready to depart, or along the way. You should be able to have a fairly decent support network in place to look after you.

Best of luck.

david

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpbrady wrote:
I have the new Honda BF90D shop manual and while it does a good job of telling you how to do things and check things, it doesn't go into any of the theory of operation. Something like, you turn the key on this happens, you go to start, this happens, it is idling this is going on, etc. At the system level the shop manual is a lot of data but not much information.

Tom's right about the manuals not getting into the theory of operation of specific modern outboard models.

However, if you're not real knowledgeable about basic theory, you might look at the Books listed under the title below:

Outboard Motor Theory of Operation

Another approach would be to look at the theory of operation of automotive engines, since these modern 4-strokes are very similar, and, in fact, several brands, such as the larger Honda and Suzuki motors, are automotive engines adapted to upright marine use.

I like David's suggestion very much about setting up a support network of marine engine knowledgeables. We've got several retired outboard mechanics/technicians on this site!

Joe. Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks
this question is for tpbrady
the shop manual you have for your honda is that paper or disc I was under the imperssion that the honda shop manuals are only available to dealers
tpbrady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackfish,

I ordered the paper manual right off the Honda Marine web site. It directs you to the company that manages their technical publications.

Getting a good manual is the main reason I bought the motor.

Tom
nookiechinookie

City/Region: Juneau
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to hijack the thread, but I noticed Tom had an E-Tech on his boat. I have an E-tech on my Whaler. Basically the mechanic makes adjustments through the software, which is interesting because I have to bring it in for software updates. I should note that after three years (100 hours), the power head blew up. Evinrude is paying for everything, but even with a blown rod (I think), the thing still got us home.
tpbrady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NookieChinookie,

The operative word is had. I removed it in late June and replaced with a Honda BF90D. The main reason was BRP and I could not agree on what constituted a motor that was operating within specification.

When I saw an average measured operating temperature in the ETEC engine report around 90 degrees, I thought it was not operating correctly. BRP said that was within acceptable parameters. I disagreed and the motor was history. It also tended to use a lot of oil, 25-30 hours per tank of the expensive XD-100. Last summer alone I saved right at $90 in oil after switching to the Honda not to mention spark plugs.

I really wish I could have gotten a good shop manual on the ETEC along with the diagnostic software. I feel like I could have found out what was really wrong with the engine or at least had a reasonable idea of where to look. I am pretty sure the temperature issue was in the bypass cooling that is controlled by a spring loaded valve. It was for the first 1 year and was replaced by BRP (after numerous complaints to the dealer about running cold). I suspect it failed again right after replacement, because during the second year the average operating temperature was less than year 1.

I had 240 hours on the ETEC when it was taken off. I've got 95 on the Honda now and look forward to the next couple of thousand.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: