The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Failed Fresh Water Pump - New Location for Replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gary Palsgrove wrote:
I had the same problem on C-Song last year and notified the factory with no results. I contacted Carrie at Mobile East Marine (great people to deal with) and she had the Factory send me a new pump. I mounted the new on in the original manner and, guess what? It froze up the same way!

After careful consideration, I came up with a mounting simular to the one pump that Mobile East Marine apparently now uses on new 25 Cruisers. Hope it will work.

The thing I found most amusing was the wording contained on the pump itself:
"For marine applications replace with Jabsco Model #31395-0092"
If use on a C-Dory 25 is not a "Marine Application", what is?
Gary Palsgrove

Hi folks,
Another chapter in this thread, that I've been in on before. Gary & I share the same great dealer, tho' he & I have yet to meet. Gene, at Mobile East Marine had remounted our pump before we took dely, he & I thought we were in fine shape. Wrong. This week, Mon., when we were on our way to Oriental for lunch, we discovered we had no fresh water. Just to be sure the tank wasn't too low, I added a gallon of antifreeze (which we never felt was necessary on our sailboat, tho' in the water & used yr round). Anyhow, the pump was frozen up, hot to the touch. Yesterday I pulled it to find out whazzup. I had measured about 9-1/2vdc at the pump, wondered if the battery was low, but the pump was locked up. After removal, I applied the wires directly to the battery, after about 3 quick "hits" it broke loose and ran, but very loudly. I pulled the rubber mounting feet off, and the 2 closest to the wet end were in slots that opened directly into the motor electrics. They don't keep water out very well if the thing is immersed in the bilge, and even mounted upright like Gene does it, any drips on the motor will run right down into the motor. And there are plenty of drips in that wet bilge. The boat hadn't been used for 3 days but the humidity down there is ~100% and everything, motor incl. was dripping wet. (wet bilge is another topic).
At 4:30PM I was at Mobile East Marine with the pump, pointed out the pump mfgr's recommendation to use Jabsco mod. 31395-0092, and Carrie ordered one on the spot. Interesting thing is that the "marine rated" pump is cheaper than the one that was used by the factory. New pump arrived this AM, I installed it after lunch. it has "sealed water resistant motor housing" looks much better, works fine. Mounting holes slightly different pattern, no big deal. .
It's nice to have a great dealer working with you. Carrie wrote the factory this AM to impress the situation upon them. Maybe future folks won't have to worry.

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: