The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Charger, AC and the water tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryswensen

City/Region: Greenport, LI
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mary C.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Battery Charger, AC and the water tank Reply with quote

For some time I keep returning to Mike's (Shelly IV) post and pictures on his set up for the charger, ac panel and all that goes with it. The water tank area seems to provide an answer for many of my questions regarding placement and space. We, however, have a 2007 model of the C-22 and the water tank area is in a monolithic shell.
To replicate Mike's solution I will need to cut an access opening at the top and use the cut out as a hatch.
Does anyone see a problem? I have been warming up my saw, but thought I had better ask.
Another question. I am thinking of using a WM large battery box, installing the batteries (3 in all) and placing them in the port stern corner of the cockpit. I would glass mounting strips to the deck and fix the box to the strips.
Again, any thoughts.
So many things and so little space!

Thanks

Ed

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Charger, AC and the water tank Reply with quote

maryswensen wrote:
For some time I keep returning to Mike's (Shelly IV) post and pictures on his set up for the charger, ac panel and all that goes with it. The water tank area seems to provide an answer for many of my questions regarding placement and space. We, however, have a 2007 model of the C-22 and the water tank area is in a monolithic shell.
To replicate Mike's solution I will need to cut an access opening at the top and use the cut out as a hatch.
Does anyone see a problem? I have been warming up my saw, but thought I had better ask.
Another question. I am thinking of using a WM large battery box, installing the batteries (3 in all) and placing them in the port stern corner of the cockpit. I would glass mounting strips to the deck and fix the box to the strips.
Again, any thoughts.
So many things and so little space!

Thanks

Ed

Ed-

Three batteries will weigh 150-180 pounds and will dramatically affect your lateral and fore-aft boat balance. Before you permanently mount all of them there, do so temporarily and test out your balance at rest and underway. Move them around if you have problems to get the best balance.

I can't fully visualize your water tank monolithic enclosure, so will let others comment regarding using it for enclosing the electrical equipment.

Good Luck!

Joe. Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
maryswensen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Battery, AC and the water tank Reply with quote

Joe,

Thanks for the advice. Yes I believe that would put the boat rather off balance. It might give me an excuse, however, to overindulge all in the interest of safety.
I believe I will retreat to a between the fuel tanks position.
It appears that the water tank compartment is a "molded in place" unit - side door facing the companion way but no top access.

Again Thanks

Ed
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still manage to pack some towels and other odds and ends in there, too.
I've been happy with the setup. After I let the batteries drain (didn't have
the charger connected in the driveway - something was probably left
on), it was nice to see 23 amps being pumped into them last night!

About the only thing I would do is upsize the PVC. I think I used 1 3/4,
and it is nearly packed. Particularly the one on the stbd side.

Oh, and don't be a goober and buy two feet less wire than you really
need like I did. I had to splice the 120V under the Wallace in order to
get to the outlet behind the helm.

Check out Ebay for Ancor brand wire. There was someone selling
it for about 1/2 the price of West. The cables I received appeared to
be genuine Ancor. Not all the components they sell are, so be sure
to check if it matters to you.

Mike
maryswensen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Battery Charger, AC and the Water Tank Reply with quote

Mike and Joe

Thanks for the advice. My only concern is the cut out of the dinette seat. After managing to puncture the port fuel tank while installing the tabs, I have a healthy respect for what might happen.

I cut the blade of the saber saw to a length that on the down stroke it will not hit the tank!

Again thanks for the guidance.

Ed
jdahlfin

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: battery charger Reply with quote

I have a 2006 22ft cruiser and I started to mount mine where you are thinking of mounting yours, seen a few more problems than mounting it under the stove on the back wall, the wall where you open up the cabinet door right on the right, which is the cabin back wall. easier to run the wires, less footage and easier to feed through and less hassell in all, but mainly very easy to see, just open up the door and look to the right and you can see what is going on, if this is not to clear e mail me at jdahlfin@aol.com. and I can explain better. anyway you are smart to have one on board, love mine indeed. enjoy. Xmas Naughty Xmas LOL Beer Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: