The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Greetings and a question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laurna Jo was owned by Jim and Laurie Martinson, who still occasionally post on this site as jimandlaurie. A PM to Jim will get you a candid response of whatever he may know about this situation. Jim and Laurie, David and Kate and Patty and I all bought our CD25s at the same time at the 2005 SBS...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

I would remove the "keel Guard" --which is the plastic/rubber strip on the bow. Clean off this area with solvent and get rid the adhesive. Pull the screws on the brass stem piece, and then drill out each hole by hand, to a little deeper than the preveious screw. Put JB weld, or Marine Tex into the hole with a toothpick and pack it in well. Then redrill the hole, being careful to not go any deeper than the screw shank (put tape on the drill bit as a depth stop). The put the brass strip back on, beded in 4200 or 5200.

FYI, your vessel may not have the brass stem guard. Contact Jim Martinson the original owner of your vessel and he can probably tell you for sure. When I ordered my 22' through Les we decided to request that the factory not put the brass stem guard on due to problems that had occurred in the past with them. Therefore "Sea Shift" never had a brass stem guard. Instead Les installed the "keel guard" like what is depicted in your photo. Contact "Keel Guard" and they may send you the type of adhesive that they use so you can resecure it in place.

Obviously, if you find out that there is a brass stem guard there, then certainly proceed as Bob has suggested in filling the screw holes, but I'd probably eliminate putting the brass stem guard back on and just resecure the "Keel Guard". You really don't need that brass stem guard when you have the "Keel Guard".

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Karen,
Check your personal messages Wink .
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
Another question on the tube in the anchor locker drain hole. The hole in my boat is pretty small...maybe 3/16" in diameter. Making it much larger would be difficult because of the position of the hole on the exterior of the boat. What kind of tube is recommended? Stainless? Brass? Plastic? Seal it with 4200 or 5200?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob-

Stainless would be nice, but would be hard to find, probably.

Brass will work fine. One CD owner used a cut off 32 caliber casing for his tube!

Go to an ordinary hardware store after carefully measuring the holes, inside and outside. They have small diameter tubes and sheet metal pieces for folks with hobbies. The tubes come in a very wide selection of diameters.

You can seal the ends to the hull with 5200, 4200, JB Weld, Marinetex, or many other things. I'd use JB Weld or Marinetex, because many of the others you could use are too runny and hard to work with a vertical surface.

Some folks have incorporated a small piece of screen under the outlet clamshell to prevent insects from using the tube and/or inside of the boat as a nest or home. Want a wasp as a pet?

Hope this helps!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like I am late to this thread, but I here I am.
First in regard to the stem guard . When the problem first was brought up way back when, some folks had water come out the screw holes. When I pulled the screws ,no water ,but I did re-bed them with 5200 in the holes, and on the screws. I would say that the stem was no issue after that.
As for the Keel Guard , it was put on and was done according to the instructions ,and never had a problem with it coming loose during the time we had the boat. What may have happened after we had it is up to speculation.
Now the anchor locker drain.. I fixed that also. I sealed the edges of the " sandwich" with 5200, then also 5200'd a piece of tubing that was a very tight fit into the hole and sealed up the drain very nicely.
I hope this information helps.

As for the aforementioned problem with the oily substance on the sole , I agree with most here that it may likely be the steering oil leaking out.

Jim Martinson, Former Owner of Laurna Jo ,22 Cruiser

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...my guess is that it's steering oil.

I found that with our BayStar unit, any attempt to "top up" the oil would result in fairly significant expansion and/or overflow of steering oil (and it would work its way down the bulkhead and into the helm storage/foot rest where it was absorbed into the carpet.

I don't know if the hydraulic oil used in the unit is subject to heat expansion or expansion when you go to a higher altitude (ie. 7000') but it certainly leaked out.

My recommendation is to remove the small plastic cap, use a CLEAN toothpick as a dipstick and see how much oil is present. If it's right up to the rim, it's too full. If low, add Tiny bits of steering oil while working the steering back and forth a couple times then recheck. I leave the cap screwed-in but quite loose so any leakage will be visible and less likely to leak out through the inards of the steering.

As for the piney smell...hmmm, didn't notice that, but could be I suppose.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Lake Montezuma(AZ) and The Villages(FL)
SEARCH

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the responses and support! The value of these forums is awesome. We have been on the water all day surveying and am now just catching up on e-mails.

After reading a couple of the responses I found the inspection holes beneath the porta-potty area as well as on the port/starboard. There is definately water in the foam beneath the porta potty area. I have not had a chance to get down into the foam to remove the water yet. Both the port and starboard sides are completely dry. I'll have to reread the posts here and tackle the issue one at a time. We are not too concerned about the issue but will do our best to remedy the situation.

As for the questions re: our work we conduct remote sensing surveys/diver investigation for various Federal, State, and local entities. We are currently working for the US Army Corps of Engineers to determine the presence/absence of submerged cultural resources (i.e. shipwrecks) off Port St. Lucie, Florida. The instruments we use include magnetometer, side scan sonar, and sub-bottom profiler (all integrated with DGPS). We work all over the US and abroad which keeps the job exciting. I would go into more detail but dinner bekons!

Jim - It is nice to make your aquaintance and would enjoy talking about the Laurna Jo in more detail at a later time. We promise to keep her in great shape and she is doing a helluva job for us.

Thanks again for all the help!

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: