The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas suggestions for Tomcat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan made a very compelling agruement for the canvas in the PNW as an antiroom, for taking off wet clothing, drying the dogs etc. I would think that in the NE, you also have some days when it would be just as handy.
One can make canvas bows which will lie right on the top of the gunnels (may require either slides or two mounts) so it is out of the way, and the canvas zips off the bows very easily, in a well made top. Ours (see the album) has the front section which will zip off, and allow free flow of air during the hot months.

The foreward top and sides are best secured with vinly awning railing, rather than with snaps. The awning railing is virtually water proof and very strong. If you just want a cockpit cover, then consider a "slant" back or trailering back--no bows. We had this on the 22 and it kept the cockpit clean and dry. We keep our camper back on year around, but it does preserve the cockpit, and keeps debris out of the scuppers etc. I don't see a problem with the Tom Cat open cockpit--but the cover would be an addition which I suspect you will enjoy and use, once you get it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Canvas Reply with quote

The extra shade/dry area in the cockpit would certainly be nice.

Some of the commercial boats I run have canvas and my former boat had canvas and I vowed I would never again have a stitch of it on my own boat. I would not want to chop off my nose to spite my face so to speak but if I can find a work around for UV or other damage I would choose that over canvas. My biggest concern was the water of course. I use Gull Sweepers to keep the birds away. They also tend to prefer the warm canvas over colder hard-top boats.

What UV protectors might I consider for the cockpit and other parts of the boat?

Thanks again.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Holoholo

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Canvas Cover - CD 22 Reply with quote

I just received my one piece Sunbrella cover from Angola Canvas in IN. Ph: 260.665.9913. They did an outstanding job adding a boot to include my radar arch and 6 shotgun holders. Also, they included 2 outboard covers for the twins and were much more reasonable than local or WA canvas shops. They had previously done a CD 25 before and I sent them measurements for my CD 22 and also emailed photos of the arch. Also included was an aluminum extender pole to support the center cover over the cockpit.

I would highly recommend them. If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact me at 916.543.3270.

Vern
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: