The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water intrusion on 2005 22' cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave S,
Went to the boat today and reamed out the foam at the inspection port, then I extracted two and one half gallons of saltwater from under the vee-berth area. I then went on a search for the hole at the clamshell and hull an anchor rode area, I pulled the clamshell for a better look and surprise surprise no sealed passageway. There was a neat hole from the rode to the exterior of the hull with a gap. I inserted the tube you sent me and caulked it in place, hopefully this will take care of the water problem.

Thanks again for the information and the tube.

Dan McNally.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
Quite frankly, (not good for you, but good for me), I'm glad to "hear" that you have experienced the same problem, so that reinforces my determination that the entry point of the water is at that location. I still extract about 10 cc's of water from that inspection port several times a day. (I'm sure getting additional excercise climbing in and out of "Sea Shift" for this seemingly never-ending adventure).

Not sure how many gallons of water I've extracted so far, but I'm guessing 6 gallons....(I quit keeping track of it).

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I still extract about 10 cc's of water from that inspection port several times a day. (I'm sure getting additional excercise climbing in and out of "Sea Shift" for this seemingly never-ending adventure).

Not sure how many gallons of water I've extracted so far, but I'm guessing 4 gallons....(I quit keeping track of it).

I'm still hoping that others will check their inspection ports as well and report on this thread "yeah" or "nay" on the water accumulation.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishtales had some unacceptable water in the v-berth. Mike-Sealife posted about the brass stem guard. The inspection port was installed at the factory.
After fixing the leaks at the stem guard, I continued to notice water in the v-berth.
I checked the anchor locker and found that the locker drain was 1" above the bottom of the locker. Water would enter from the drain and set in the unfinished locker- giving it time to leak down into the v-berth.
I raised the floor of the locker and sealed the whole locker with a coating of resin.

When I ordered the new boat last month, I pointedly told them "No holes in the anchor locker" and that they are to finish the inside of the locker with a smooth coat of resin.

To remove the water from the v-berth, I cut out the foam at the inspection port down to the hull and used a wet/dry vacuum to suck the water. Yes- it was slow.
After removing as much as I could with the vacuum, I borrowed a commercial dehumidifer from a contractor and placed it in the cabin with the line running out the door, and taped the door closed, for three days.
The v-berth stayed dry after this.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
RichardW

City/Region: Huntsville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C Eagle
Photos: C Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Seawolf ( and others) said ,the tube that drains the anchor locker must be sealed on both ends. I had the same problem 4 months ago on my 2000 CD22 and it was indeed coming from clamshell opening and into the hull because the tube had become dislodged. I simply replaced the tube and sealed it with 3M 4200 and all intrusion has stopped.

To remove the water trapped in the hull, I raised the bow as high as possible on the trailer and applied positive air pressure at the opening covered by the clamshell. I temporarily plugged the hole in the anchor locker side while blowing most of the water out. It took about a week for all of the water to completely drain out.

I hope this helps,
Richard

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have water issues that I know. I need a little guidance following this thread as it seems my boat has parts that I'm unaware of. Embarrased

What and where is the clamshell and inspection port (suppose I should be inspecting something)?
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker,
The clamshell is a stainless cover on the port side bow just above the water line, the inspection port is in the vee-berth under the porti potty. Remove the gourmet from the floor and press on the foam, if it is wet the water will come to the top with finger pressure. It sounds like not all boats have this problem, this could be that not every boat has the clam shell or that this when installed at the factory was done correctly with a tube to carry the water to the clam shell for release to outside without it getting trapped on the interior, or allowing water to enter from the exterior and get trapped.

I was astounded by the amount of replies to this post in such a short amount of time. I will test this fix next weekend after I make sure I have all the water out of the interior. I will keep the c-dories updated as to my success or failures with this problem.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker-

Does your "Classic" CD-22 have an anchor locker in the bow? I'm not sure the "Classics" had bow lockers, unless they were added by owners. You won't have a clamshell unless you have an anchor locker and a drain tube that connects it with the outside of the hull.

The clamshell is a half round fitting on the outside of the boat's bow where a small tube leads from the anchor locker to the outside of the hull. The roundish clamshell protects the opening from taking on water while underway in heavy seas and stops that water to get into the anchor locker from the outside.

The third item, the inspection port, is just forward of where the Portapotti sets at the back of the v-berth. It's in the bulkhead of the flotation chamber that makes up the v-berth. My '87 Cruiser doesn't have an inspection port, though the flotation chamber is configured like all the rest of the '87 and later cruisers. Your "Classic' may well not have one either.

Inspection Ports.

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I understand. I do have a clam shell. Not sure if I have an inspection port. I should go look. Thanks for the info guys.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar problem on a Seaswirl. They issued a recall and fixed the problem free. Great customer relations, and a fine little inexpensive boat.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: