The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

kicker h.p?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that many lakes would not allow an outboard of more than 10 hp, thus the 9.9 outboards were popular. Many brands the 15 and 9.9 were the same engines, but with either a restrictor plate, or different reed valves. At one time Tohatsu dealers sold the 9.9, with a 15 hp plate for $200 less than 15. Currently the Johnson 9.9 and 15 are the same engines, dispacement and weight (77lbs).

As noted the Honda is no longer that way--the 15 is a bigger displacement and more weight. The Nissan 4 stroke is similar, But both the 2 stroke (if available) and 4 stroke Merc 9.9 and 15 are the same displacement.

I don't see any advantage to the 15 on a 22--there might be some on a 25, but either of these boats will be driven to hull speed with an 8 hp (especially if you get a "big foot" lower unit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. Looks like the 9h.p. range is the way to go. I have a 3.5 nissan two stroke that has never seen the water. moter was on ding for other boat. I will post ding and moter up for sale in a couple weeks and will give c-brats first opp. Ding is fiberglass on trailer. probally more weight than some would want to put on top of a cd. I would mount on my high top but have bridge resrictions.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hi-thrust 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke with electric start on my boat, not a C-Dory, that weighs about what a 22 CD does. I troll often and it does a great job at it over a variety of speeds, to include dead slow. The advantage of a 15 or a 9.9 High thrust over an 8 or smaller horse motor is that it will push the boat better in a strong current and with more fome control due to a smoother powerband. This is crucial when threading the boat back into the hogline where boats are anchored close together and the current is surging. When this motor was being fixed I went on a 160 mile cruise to the mouth of the Columbia and back mainly using the big engine. I hung my Johnson 7.5 2 stroke in its place. The performance was not even close (and some of this was no doubt due to the shorter shaft, but not all). It seemed is was "all or nothing" in power, and it remains a great motor on my duck boat, but that is a very light 12 ft. aluminum skiff. If you ever plan to troll in a river or where the depth changes frequently requiring frequent mending of the fishing line, you'll want a tiller handle. You can't troll effectively in those conditions if you are inside, at a the helm, away from the rods. Yamahas are the most respected motor on the river around here, Mercury second. C.W.
cbull

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is why i was thinking a 15 would be better. here in the charleston harbour the current rips between the jetties like you would not beleive. i was thinking a 15 would give more power if coming in on kicker should main go out. I would have a way to dissconnect kicker from main while fishing. kind of hard to set the hook from inside the cabin.
cbull

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in charleston the yami is what you see the most of. however, the suzuki is coming on strong. I have a honda now because the boat was purchased with it. if i had to replace it i would go with the suzuki. price and available service in area would be the reason. all our work boats have suzuki moters and have had no problems at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: