Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whose job is it to protect those without common sense and a little basic knowledge from themselves?

"In September 2004, in anticipation of a power outage during the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, a man aged 34 years in Mobile, Alabama, purchased a 100-lb block of dry ice from a local ice house. The block of dry ice was divided into four equal parts and packaged in brown paper bags, which were placed in the front seat of the man's pickup truck. The windows were closed, and the air conditioner was set to recirculate air inside the cab of the truck. Etc, etc., ..........."

Anybody got a match so as I can light it up down my gas filler tube and see how much is left in the tank?

(Sorry if this sounds harsh, but Darwin's Law may be at work here.)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you'd jump on the fact that it was 100 pounds of dry ice...not likely what someone would have on his/her boat, but none-the-less I thought it was worth mentioning if only to make others aware.

-Sarge/Carl

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
I thought you'd jump on the fact that it was 100 pounds of dry ice...not likely what someone would have on his/her boat, but none-the-less I thought it was worth mentioning if only to make others aware.

-Sarge/Carl

Sarge-

Yes, that too, as it's included in the quote. Must have cost him quite a bit in $$$ as well almost his life.

We use all kinds of dangerous things all the time. Gasoline, propane, outboard motors, cars, backing up trailers, electricity, cleaning solvents and solutions, medicines, insecticides, fertilizers, stoves, pedestrian zones, etc.

Life is full of everyday dangers. I'm just surprised he wasn't aware of the hazards from his schooling or at least from the supplier of the dry ice.

Here in California, dry ice sales are accompanied by literature handouts and, I believe, wrapping tape on the packages that explain the dangers.

Good thing they don't sell liquid nitrogen to the public!

Thanks for your heads up!

Joe.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice in the Mobile area during hurricane events is a deal in itself. It gets nasty.. particuarly when folks can often have their "years keep" of shrimp iced down for sales... Some near disater events guarding ice trucks when they arrived in town when the current has been off with no idea of when it will be back on. Some folks did/do think ahead and take the chances on "blowing" $200-$500 on dry ice when they have a large harvest iced. Thankfully, the prices of "safer" generators have come down, and most see them as a way of life....if...they then have the capacity to haul/store the gas for them to run for about a week. And, our utility companies have gotten much better at repowering after events too. It takes everybody working together.

Joe is correct in that we are often around dangers, and even informed intelligent folks can easily get preoccupied by events around them and simply have a mental slip for a second or two...which can/could be deadly. How many of us have crossed battery terminals with a wrench working in tight places on a boat. Battery blowing up beside your head is not good.

We just all gotta keep our eyes out for each other...

Good stuff here on the dry ice. It is very useful on long trips without gen sets or means to replentish the ice supply....but has to be cared for properly...or....that cold beer won't do ya any good. Beer

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my ice chest outside...did away with that useless ice box that came with the boat...made it into a nice set of drawers...West Marine sells a improved model of ice chest that they say will hold ice a week...I don't believe it, but it does seem to hold ice better. ( if the outside is 40 degrees)

I wonder if the overboard vent of the installed ice chest would be enough to carry the gas away from the interior of the boat.... I think the lip seal on that worthless ice box sealed fairly well... just a thought. The manufacturers of that useless thing must have thought someone would use Dry Ice.

Joel
SEA3PO
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

useless ice box

that worthless ice box

that useless thing

Joel
SEA3PO[/quote]

are you trying to say you don't like the ice box? Laughing

LOL

James

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was saying was that the ice box that came with the boat is worthless.... after you put a 25 pound block of ice in it....there is just enough
room to put one six pack....that's it... I made that space into drawers...

The ice box that I bought from West Marine I keep outside....and if the temperature is not too hot it really will keep ice all week.... normally at Catalina ice makes it 3 or 4 days... good enough.....by that time I am out of gin anyhow.

What I did find out about dry ice is ....... don't keep eggs in it.... on a trip up the Colorado River I was thinking I was so cool using dry ice... and everything was cold...and did great.... until I tried to pick up the eggs... the shells were paper thin and cracked open when I touched them.... dry ice must disolve egg shells... what a mess... I ate em anyhow...

Joel
SEA3PO
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
Ok, my turn to play devil's advocate.

Here is an article from the CDC of a documented incident involving dry ice and the fact that it is made up of CO2:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a6.htm

Synopsis: If you are going to be in an enclosed area with the stuff, please be careful.

It's the old 'first responder' in me.

-Sarge/Carl

All most a Cleansing of the Gene Pool? Mr. Green Beer
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something a lot of people overlook is tempering their cooler, that is, place cold packs or containers of frozen water in the cooler a day ahead of time. Then on the day you leave on a trip fill the cooler with your food and place new cold packs into the cooler.
You’ll be surprised at how much longer your food will stay cold, regardless of whether you use dry ice, wet ice, or cold packs.
Also, freeze as many things as you can such as meats, water, juice, etc, etc. This works great, you’ll just have to manage things differently.
The only problem I have with dry ice (I use it as work all the time) is, it has a tendency to freeze things you don’t wont frozen. Also, you can never place dry ice in a sealed container, it must vent or BOOOOM!
Shocked

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that the ice box in the CD 22 is vented overboard. Ours just went into the bilge--plus the seals on the ice box are not particularly good. Carbon doxide is heavier than air, and would stay in the bilge--even if the vent was overboard, it would probably leak into the bilge and be slowly defused.

Remember that carbon dioxide (dry ice is solid carbon dioxide) is gas which is formed as part of human respiration, and in the low amounts is not toxic. Not to be confused with carbon monoxide, which binds with hemoglobin in the red blood cells and is toxic. Yes, large amounts of carbon dioxide, will displace the oxygen and basically sufficate a human or cause metabolic imbalance in the human body if it is inhaled in high concentrations over a peroid of time.

Normally air contains 0.035% CO2--exposed to 3% will develope some symptoms in 15 to 20 minutes. Eye symptoms will appear after chonic high exposure--and if exposed to higher concentrations of 30% can develope cardiac abnormalities in seconds and often death. But it would take a lot of dry ice thawing to even raise the concentration 10 fold (or 0.3%)--and very unlikely it would reach 100 fold or the 3% level from dry ice in an ice chest.

So be safe, But we had 10 lbs in a well insulated freezer and 15 days later there was still several lbs of the dry ice left.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on our CD22, the icebox WAS connected to clear plastic drain tube connected to a thru-hull fitting. We took the icebox out and removed the drain tube...and then wondered where all the water coming into the cabin was coming from! One day I saw it, and the light went on - I put a cap over the inside of the drain fitting (a tire valve cap fit perfectly), and hey presto, no more water in the cabin! Just a data point for those removing the icebox - yours could be like Bob's was or like mine was. If it is like mine was, don't forget to cap off the thru-hull fitting!

thataway wrote:
I don't believe that the ice box in the CD 22 is vented overboard. Ours just went into the bilge--

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this up in a previous thread a while back, but it might be worth repeating here.

For years when fishing and camping we would carefully wrap the fish, shrimp, meat or whatever in doubled freezer bags and keep them frozen by adding rock salt to ice. A layer of ice/salt, fish or meat, ice/salt and so on.

We have kept food frozen for a week or more this way and it works great, without the need of rounding up dry ice, which may be hard to come by in some areas.

Combined with a good cooler and closed cell foam to fill up any dead space in the cooler, it is a quite workable solution.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
pgpg5860

City/Region: Fort McMurray
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everyone's vast knowledge, how much dry ice is needed to last 7 days in 70 degree weather in a 100L marine cooler? Thanks in advance
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgpg5860 wrote:
From everyone's vast knowledge, how much dry ice is needed to last 7 days in 70 degree weather in a 100L marine cooler? Thanks in advance

pgpg5860-

The answer to this is going to depend on

1. The specific insulation properties of the cooler used.

2. How often it is opened.

3. How cold/frozen the contents were when originally placed in the cooler.

4. Whether the cooler is kept in the sun, shade, or inside the cabin.

5. Whether the cooler has layers of insulation added to the outside of it (sleeping bag, blankets, etc.

6. Etc.

I'd guess from my experience that the range of CO2 needed would be from 5 to 10 lbs, depending on all the factors above.

I'd take maybe 8 lbs or so on the first trip, and then adjust from there.

My guess, for less than $0.02 (we're in a recession, ya' know!).

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I'll' bet Bob Austin has a formula, pi*r2 / sqrt of waterline length or something like that!

pgpg5860 wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: