JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's one more thing that is necessary for an aircraft to be airworthy - the required annual inspection (more frequently on Part 135 and scheduled aircraft). An A&P mechanic (certified by the FAA) has to sign his name that the plane is airworthy. The aircraft and pilot have to be certified/licensed to fly in instrument conditions. Some aircraft can be certified for "known icing" with the proper equipment. I'm not up on ultralight aircraft, homebuilts, or the recreational license (or sport or whatever it is called).

We have something similar in the boating realm, with "inspected" vessels, but small craft like ours are left up to our discretion to decide whether they are seaworthy or not. There are some things that boats and airplanes (and those who operate them) have in common, but the requirements for licensing and determining their "worthiness" to operate are quite different.

But, the danger involved for either if not "worthy" can be just as deadly.

In my opinion, we have a lot more freedom on the water... there are far fewer "controlled" areas. When operating in low visibility conditions, there is no equivalence to Air Traffic Control to keep you apart from other vessels. We can file a float plan, but it doesn't go to any central control agency... can you imagine what our skies would be like if the flight plan consisted of "tell your Mom where you're going and when you'll be back"??? Shocked

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James.

Isn't it sad that in today's world I could bet my float plan against the average airline's flight plan, and win. But then, I am an old fart...

Keep up the good words, we have a few more months of filtered sunlight up here....

Merv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: