The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pre Purchase Questions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Inboard on Ranger 25 vs outboard 0n the C-Dory boats Reply with quote

Oh, Lordy! Here we go again! Maybe somebody can search out the prior threads and just post links! But clearly the CD25 is the best combination of boat and value (ducking, as I say this!) Laughing

sailedaway wrote:
So what are the differences between the Ranger 25 and the CDory 25 or the 255. Most specifically what atre the implifcations of using outboards (gas I presume) vs inboard diesel. How about a single outboard vs double outboard? Does it impact the other features that might run off of a diesel like a heater ot hot water tabnk or charging a bank of batteries?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Differences Reply with quote

Ha ha - yeah - there are lot's of discussions from prospective owners about the differences between the various vessels. Mine were among the many as I signed papers on my Tomcat a little over a month ago (take delivery in March).

Soooo....to summarize my impression....(never cruised on the Ranger...have only seen them. I have test driven a C-25 and a Tomcat).

In terms of any diesel powered boat...most reliable engine period...slower...better on fuel consumption...offers heat via engine...with age worst fumes...most expensive to purchase...inboard will likely have deepest draft. From my quick observation, the Rangers have the best finish/trim of the lot.

Gas twin engine Tomcat...fastest ride of the lot (high 40's)...biggest berth...highest fuel consumption...best ride due to catamaran hull/air cushion...most difficult to trailer...close to 7000lbs with engines...requires larger tow vehicle...most expensive trailer...more expensive boat and engines than C25...largest cockpit (45 sq feet)...coolest name...only boat suitable for fire graphic down the side. Not possible to own the Cat with a single engine of course.

C25...can own with single or twin...easiest to trailer...best on fuel...flat monohull combined with lightest weight means the worst pounding in seas of the lot above...smaller forward berth (compared to Tomcat)...easier to trailer...cheaper trailer/engines....requires less of a tow vehicle...most inexpensive of the lot...I believe more cockpit space than R25 but I'm not certain of that.

That's the quick summary off the top of my head...trying to be as objective as possible.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Matt's comments for the most part re the CD25. My usable or standing area cockpit space is only 36 sq ft (7' 9"W x 4' 8"L), but ample for 4 fisherman or 2-3 scuba divers. I have slept 3 adults in the V-berth (they knew each other...) and 2 children/1 adult on the dinnette, 1 on the floor.

As for pounding, why? If the wave height/conditions get me airborne and I pound ONCE, I either a) Drop the speed a knot or two, b) Drop the bow a bit with the trim tabs, or c) Change directions slightly to not be directly into the waves. I won't put up with pounding, too hard on the passengers and boat! My sweet spot speed is 15-18 knots on average, although last weekend I went 22 knots for hours coming back from the Santa Barbara Festival.

Never been on a Ranger 25 so can't comment, the Tom Cat 25 is nice, all of what Matt said, more of choice of speed while maintaining comfort -- but you do pay a price...

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not in a hurry you might want to wait until the factory makes the 26 out of the CC molds. You would be surprized and impressed.
Forrest
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inboard on Ranger 25 vs outboard 0n the C-Dory boats Reply with quote

sailedaway wrote:
So what are the differences between the Ranger 25 and the CDory 25 or the 255. Most specifically what atre the implifcations of using outboards (gas I presume) vs inboard diesel. How about a single outboard vs double outboard? Does it impact the other features that might run off of a diesel like a heater ot hot water tabnk or charging a bank of batteries?

Another factor differentiating the Ranger 25 from the two C-Dories is that the Ranger is finished off with lots of nice teak interior woodwork. The C-Dories are all about exposed wiring and simplicity. If you never intend to make modifications, then that won't be an issue on the Ranger, but if you like all the cool improvements that C-Dory owners have documented in their photo albums, etc., then you would probably be better off with a C-Dory.

I believe the Ranger is aimed at the guy who can't afford (or want the size of) a Nordic Tug. The C-Dory, OTOH, is aimed at a group of people that pride themselves on being individualists.

I think the real difference between the C-25 and the Tom Cat is how much money you are willing and able to spend. Or, to put it another way, how much value for your dollar you insist on. I think there is no doubt that the C-25 delivers a higher value for the dollar, but if you want what the Tom Cat offers, you're going to pay the premium. My wife wanted the stability and we both wanted the huge queen berth, so we paid the premium. The speed was not a major consideration.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Inboard on Ranger 25 vs outboard 0n the C-Dory boats Reply with quote

[quote="Lori Ann"]
sailedaway wrote:
... The speed was not a major consideration.

Warren

Speed was not a major consideration for me either, but man I was smiling when I ran WOT for a test drive. 46 mph in a 7000 lb boat?!? That is moving...

The "speed" most Tomcat owners talk about is the comfort of cruising speed in chop that would slow down the C25 or other boats.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is a real difference between the Tom Cat and CD 25. Our CD 25 with a single 130 will make 18 to 19 knots--top. The Tom Cat--light will hit 49 knots. Today, loaded with full cruising gear--we cruised at 35 knots. A speed which even the higherst powered powered CD 25 cannot sustain. This 35 knots was an a bay with 2 foot steep chop--and the CD 25 would be pounding on this.

If you don't know the difference between diesel and outboards--then I would suggest that you start reading a number of forums--including all of the posts in the last year on this forum--also read Boat Fix, and The Hull Truth. There is no book which will give you the information which you can obtain from these forums.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Away.... I did not mean to hihack your thread, but I typed a very long bunch of words in answer to your query, but had clicked on "New topic" instead of "Reply". I could not "copy" that much to your thread, so had to let it go as a new thread....

John
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Water Tank location Reply with quote

Just to a remark regarding Old dog's comments. The water tank can be accessed. We have done it. We had added a monitoring system to the tank. I tow these boats everyday with a F250 with a big gasoline engine. Doesn't do well on fuel but it tows it fine. Any other questions please feel free to shoot me an email and I can help.
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

This is a different answer than I got when I asked about accessing the water tank and installing a sensor and gauge.

Easy enough to do during the build process but are you saying you found a way to retrofit a sensor? If so, what kind and how did you do it?

I'm asking this via the forum rather than email because others might be interested.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were also former sailors - 20' Flicka - and now stepped up in size to a 22 C-Dory cruiser. This is all you need, if size, price and economy are a consideration. We obviously believe in simplicity and the smallest boat on which to be comfortable. Check out our website, below, if you don't think it's possiblde to live aboard and cruise extensively on a CD-22 -- and we're still a loving and happy couple. Get the smallest boat on which you can be comfortable.
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre Purchase Questions? Reply with quote

[quote="sailedaway"]I am considering buying a Ranger 25 tug - Any views on stability in 4-6 ft seas? Is it a problem?

Sailed Away-
Evening, I just purchased the R-25 and brought her home from Anacortes to Tacoma last weekend. Late saturday we had a "small craft advisory" with a north wind and an outgoing tide. This created 3-5' wind waves. We were going about 12.5kts at 3000rpm prior, but when it got bad, we slowed down to about 9kts and had no problem.
Heading into the swell the stability was great and even with a quartering sea there was no problem at all....However, coming into Elliott Bay in Seattle with a following sea was a little ugly Shocked and I would prefer not to do that again for a long while!

So from a relative novices' prospective (1st time out with this hull) she will handle seas like a dream, just don't turn your back on them!

Good Luck!

denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Don't forget about us little guys! Reply with quote

Unless you just must have a go-fast boat, don't forget about the demure but impressive Ranger 21.

Like Bill and El, we believe smaller doesn't necessarily mean lesser. I think we're able to do most things our big engined cousins can do except go fast. We may see less scenery, but we think we may enjoy it even more going slower.

With combined personal body weights of over 400 lbs., (I won't get into specifics for fear of broken bones), we've slept snugly, but comfortably, fished, cooked, partied, etc. We've even entertained as many as 6 aboard at one time without feeling cramped.

With the little 30hp Yanmar, it sips fuel at about 1/2 gallon per hour with speeds at around 7 knots. At our chronoligically advantaged ages, our goal was to spend more time than money while cruising. And we love the HUGE walk-around engine room!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: