The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

cd 16 cruiser-planing problems-help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

City/Region: san francisco
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: cd 16 cruiser-planing problems-help! Reply with quote

Help please. I am purchasing a 2006 cd 16 cruiser. It has a honda 40 hp 2006 with a 11 3/4 x 13 inch prop 3 blade. I went to finish the deal and the boat was not able to get up on plane. The boat got up to about 21-23 mph, but never leveled out. These items I have added to boat. It has a 5hp kicker(55lbs) , swim step, extra 3 gal fuel tank was 1/3 full. 2 six gallon fuel tanks were 1/3 full also. I have 2 batts which are under port seat. I also have a radar arch on boat ( its cool). Thats it. The boat was run on a nice day in estuary with two grown men in boat and nothing else.. Should this boat be able to plane while sitting in the standard seats. I am going to get a permatrim. Do you think a kicker is just too heavy on a 16 cruiser? Thanks Geoff
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely get the permatrim. I have the same motors and believe me, we carry at least as much weight on our 16. My prop is the Honda OEM, 11 1/4x13, Make sure to store as much stuff as you can up in the bow, either on or under the sleeping area. One thing about C-Dorys, they are up on plane but they don't have the sharp change that a deep V hull has. I remember when we first took out our22 footer, I was really surprised that there wasn't that definitive dropping of the nose when it went on plane. Your speed about mirrors my fastest average. I find it most ccomfortable at about 4500 rpm and about 12 or 13 mph. Good luck and enjoy. I think your boat is doing OK.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 16 with a Honda 50. With four people aboard and 15 gallons of fuel it had a little problem getting on plane. Two people were sitting on a cooler in the rear and weighed at least 270 lbs. Two in the front were about 325. those in the rear had to move forward to plane the boat. Once on plane it was fine. I added a permatrim and it made a world of difference. I had the same prop as you and with just me aboard it would run 30 MPH wide open in smooth water. Your kicker weight is obviously adding a lot of weight right on the transom.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were doing 21-22 you WERE on plane.... it had to be... what I think you probably were waiting for was the bow to come down... won't do that unless you have some sort of trim.....
These boats normally run in a bow up mode....look at some of the pictures in the Photos section.... relocating the load will help some...and tabs will help but the C-Dory rides differently than most other boats.

Joel
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: cd 16 cruiser-planing problems-help! Reply with quote

Yes I think youre right. A boat has to be on plane to achieve a speed that much higher than hull speed doesnt it? I guess I just expected the boat to lay flat as it reached plane. Hence the newbie handle. Thanks to you all.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are not planning on using the 16 on the Bay..... it will work...but I gotta tell you... thats a rough piece of water for a 16'........ We always do a Delta cruise with about 8 or 9 other C-Dorys and all will agree....you really need a 22.... it's just too dangerous with a 16...

If you are thinking of that.... lets see if we can find you someone in the Bay Area with a 22 to talk to you... it really is dangerous in the bay...things happen strange there...and the tides cause some funny waves...

Joel
SEA3PO
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Joel said...you absolutely were on a plane at the speed you were going, you just had a bow-high attitude. I assume Cruiser owners know whereof they speak on the Permatrims - on our prior CD22 we considered trim tabs essential, same on our present CD25. On our CD16 Angler, we do not have the same problem because the helm seat is about 2 feet farther forward and the passenger seat is probably 4 feet farther forward than it is on the Cruiser, so bow attitude is essentially handled by weight distribution. Of course we don't have a vee-berth or table...
SEA3PO wrote:
If you were doing 21-22 you WERE on plane.... it had to be... what I think you probably were waiting for was the bow to come down... won't do that unless you have some sort of trim.....
These boats normally run in a bow up mode....look at some of the pictures in the Photos section.... relocating the load will help some...and tabs will help but the C-Dory rides differently than most other boats.

Joel
SEA3PO

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: cd 16 cruiser-planing problems-help! Reply with quote

Yes ive purchased the boat and plan on using it on the bay. The past two weeks have been exellent for it. It is our true summer time. unfortunately i pick it up thursday so ive missed some prime cruising time . Oh well. The good thing is its on a trailer so i can always find some nice water. Im familiar with the bay and have been on it many times on sailboats, but not much on power boats. Ill pick my days of course. Im going to keep it in sausalito so i can just cruise around richardson bay on windy days or when currents are a problem. Im sure I can get to the lee side of angel island also. From there its just a short hop to the oakland estuary and all that stuff. Yes the bay is a very interesting and challenging area to boat. I think the boat and I will be just fine. For some reason I happen to have a high tolerance for discomfort,and revel in the small and simple. Thats how I rode my flat bench seated vibratory klr 650 to prudhoe bay from san francisco this summer. I understand and apreciate your concern and comments. I would not rule out a larger boat in the future. Thanks again Geoff Oh ps I used to live in Quincy near Chester ca.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie-

Welcome aboard!

I lived in the Bay Area for 37 years from 1965 to 2002 and sailed a lot on the
Bay. Wonderful place for boating! You'll love your CD-16!

One question about your ride:

What's a "flat bench seated vibratory klr 650" ?

A motorcycle? Or maybe....

something we can't discuss politely in public on a family oriented website?

Curious people want to know...

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: cd 16 cruiser-planing problems-help! Reply with quote

No its nothing quite that exciting. Just a single cylinder 650 cc street/dirt motorcycle. It does sound like something you can find at a couple of the specialty stores around here known as good vibrations, but thats a different story....
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet I know what that is.... N yer right about the vibration..... that's why I ride ole BMW's ...n love em.. sicecars n all....

I run from Chester once it snows....not good for the scoter... During the winter I hide out in Camarillo Cal...Ventura County...where I am now...getting a new roof installed on da crib.

Enjoy the 16, and please join us on the cruises..... don't worry we won't let ya get into any trouble.... it's always such fun...

Joel
SEA3PO
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie - when I first took out my boat, I was disappointed because of the bow high attitude that the boat had. I searched this site for answers and decided to make a permatrim for my boat. Next time I went out, it was like a totally different boat. Make one, buy one, or steal one. You will not believe the difference it will make.
________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: