The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25 CD Shore Power Stopped Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartender66

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alaea
Photos: Alaea
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: 25 CD Shore Power Stopped Working Reply with quote

There was a wind storm here a couple of weeks ago that knocked the power out at our marina. Yesterday my wife & I went down to the boat and discovered that the shore power is not working. I suspect that when the power came back online there was a surge which may have resulted in a blown fuse or popped a circiut? I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box and they looked okay. Does anybody happen to know if there is a fuse or circiut breaker for the shore power and if so where it's located? Thanks in advance!

Terry
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place where you plug in probably has a switch/breaker, plus there
will be a breaker in a panel somewhere that controls some number of
outlets on the dock. Have you checked for power at the outlet with a
volt meter or simple 120v light probe?

Mike
bartender66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for the reply and info. I should have mentioned that I did test the marina power box outlet. I ran my cord over to the neighbor's power outlet, on the other side of the dock, which I could see was working. Also, I checked the breaker on our power box/outlet to make sure it was in the on position.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: shore power Reply with quote

Our 25 has a throw switch mounted on the hull on the Starboard side in the area of the bus visible from the cockpit hatch. Under the battery area. It is just like the one mounted near the outlet at the helm/galley area. You might check both of those and the start looking for fuses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks! I took a quick look in the starboard cockpit hatch where the batteries are located but didn't look on the hull. I'll go out there tomorrow and check it and the helm/galley throw switch. Thanks again.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: shore power Reply with quote

Jeff Brigner wrote:
Our 25 has a throw switch mounted on the hull on the Starboard side in the area of the bus visible from the cockpit hatch. Under the battery area. It is just like the one mounted near the outlet at the helm/galley area. You might check both of those and the start looking for fuses.

After checking I found I was wrong. That switch is not visible from the cockpit floor hatch. It is only visible from the battery hatch and is on the base where the battery sets by the bus. Hope you get this before you make your trip to the boat. Sorry !!!!
JB
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is a 2005 CD-25. The AC shore power comes in directly from the plug to a switch panel located under the table. There is a column of switches, each with a green light. The main power switch is at the top. Now, if that's green and the outlet switch is green and you can't get power out of the outlets, check the GFI. It should be the outlet right next to the switch panel. Drove me nuts until I remembered it.

DC/battery power is controlled by a switch in the aft lazerette.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2003 CD 25 and 2006 Tom Cat 255 both have the same set up--so I would assume that the CD 25 would have the same set up. As in Journy on, the power comes directly from the inlet to the pannel under the aft dinette seat. There is a double pole (neutral and line) 30 amp switch on the top. The GFI on my boats, only affects the outlet under the table and the galley. We have a second circuit on the hanging locker (which we added for the microwave).

There is also a galvanic isolator on the Tom Cat.

I would take a digital volt meter and start tracing down the circuit. On the CD 25, there is no cover over the back of the 110 volt pannel (I made one of plywood)--so be careful--this is a safety issue, which should be retroactively fixed by C Dory). The TC 255 has a molded cover--and I assume that the same year CD 25 will have this same cover.

I also have a neon light on the power cord, so it indicates if there is power going to the boat end of the cord. You can also use the volt meter to check the boat end of the cord for voltage. The 110 volts should be between the two plain spade prongs, the "L" shaped prong is ground.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bartender66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for all of the great info! I am heading out to the boat tomorrow and will use the info you have given me to hopefully track the problem down. I'll post up the results (hopefully positive..) after I get back.

Terry
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,
Look in the Sea Angel photo album and you will see where the ac power panel is located (2005 model), as it was mentioned earlier. The power from the bulkhead plug runs behind the hanging closet, to the isolator and ac breaker panel, top main breaker [only double pole breaker].

The Sea Angel pixs under "upgrades" may give you some ideas for the physical locations and the protection of the switches in the future.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
bartender66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied to the thread. I went out to the boat and found the problem. It was the double pole breaker on the ac breaker panel. It must have popped when the power in the marina came back online after the outage.

Sea Angel, I really like the upgrades you have made. I'll for sure plagerize your ac breaker panel cover! I have bumped the switched on the panel when cleaning under the table.

Thanks again everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: