The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another Battery and maybe an assault question...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Another Battery and maybe an assault question...? Reply with quote

It's getting time to replace the batteries on Constant Craving, and i am thinking about gel cells. I know that there has been some traffic about folks having issues with them over heating and failing, but I don't recall the specifics. Does anyone have direct experience with them?

I am also thinking about moving one of the batteries to the live well on the port side after thoroughly ventilating the well, plus adding a house battery that would sit under the dinette. The interior battery would have to be a gel to avoid the gassing issues. Anyone done either of the above?

BTW, I suspect the assault part might come from reviving this thread...

Regards,

Steve
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Battery and maybe an assault question...? Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
It's getting time to replace the batteries on Constant Craving, and i am thinking about gel cells. I know that there has been some traffic about folks having issues with them over heating and failing, but I don't recall the specifics. Does anyone have direct experience with them?

I am also thinking about moving one of the batteries to the live well on the port side after thoroughly ventilating the well, plus adding a house battery that would sit under the dinette. The interior battery would have to be a gel to avoid the gassing issues. Anyone done either of the above?

BTW, I suspect the assault part might come from reviving this thread...

Regards,

Steve

If your boat is a 2005 it would seems a little early to be replacing the batteries wouldn’t it? My father in law has a deep cell battery in his old pickup that’s over 12 years old taken out of a skiff, he’s quite proud of this.
Any ways, it’s my understanding gel cells do not put out gas as much as flooded cell batteries because of a slightly different plate composition, but do put out gas; not sure how safe they would be in a small enclosed cabin.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please understand the difference between AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and Gel cell batteries. The AGM will tolerate 14.5-or so volts of charge. The Gel cell will only tolerate 14.1 volts of charge. The average outboard puts out over 14.1 volts. (My Suzuki's put out 14.4 volts, I have a Yahama which puts out 14.6 volts and a Honda which puts out 14.5 volts. If a gel cell is exposed to a voltage more than 14.1 volts it will be rapidly damaged.

You are correct that the AGM do not put out significant gas, if they are properly charged. AGM's will accept a charge faster than lead acid batteries. The new Sears Platinum Die Hards are touted to tolerate higher voltages. I have used Lifeline batteries, and they will tolerate outboards and even equalization at 15.5 volts for 8 hours.

I would suggest that you consider AGM's for your replacement--and you have one house bank and one engine start--perhaps two house if you need the increased amount of power.

I would agree that generally well cared for batteries will last 4 or more years. Do not discharge a battery to more than 50% capacity or below 12.2 volts. It is best to replace all of the batteries at once, and with like types and sizes, so that the charges will be equal.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: